There are worse things to be, Bill, :)

Cheers,
Zach

May 6, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #1,127 of 1,369

Quote:
There are worse things to be, Bill, :)

Cheers,
Zach

You said it brother. Going to burn a 45th Saturday. Will let you guys know how it smokes.

May 6, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #1,128 of 1,369
While I don't put much stock in the ratings CA gives to cigars, they did make the 45th the cigar of the year 2009, and the one I've had was amazing.  The owner of the B&M I go to swears by them and has three or four boxes aging at his house.  He said he's going to give them five years.  I wish I had the patience to do that, but when I get a Padron or three in my humi, they're gone in a week or less.  ha ha.

Cheers,
Zach

May 8, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #1,129 of 1,369
Some Padron pr0n for the thread:

May 10, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #1,132 of 1,369
Just found this section of head -fi and must say I'm glad I did.

I smoke mostly CAO, Montecristo, and recently tried and really liked Rocky Patel and Gurhka. 

Since my wife is in the states right now and has all my pictures with her I can't show mine off.  Hopefully when she returns this weekend I'll post pics of my latest additions.  She was in Montego Bay last week and bought a few Cubans for me.  Even though I live in Cuba, I can't buy them here.  The selection that we do have here is bad at best.  I have to order in or get friends to bring them in.  It's not ideal at all, since most people have no idea how to take care of cigars.  

May 11, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #1,133 of 1,369
Welcome to the thread!  Cubans have been summarily overrated for the most part over the past forty or fifty years, but there are still some gems to try if you ever get the chance.  My experience is understandably limited, but I'm sure some others have some recommendations.  If you have the chance (by way of your wife or some friends) have some non cubans sent down your way, I find them more accessible both flavor and price wise for the most part, and it seems you're on a good track with those you've tried. 

Cheers,
Zach

P.S. Also, I picked up a Nosotros yesterday and smoked it in the shop.  I'm pretty pleased with the effort.  It had a nice up front sweetness backed with some leather and earth flavors.  I had the really short one (4x42?), so it didn't evolve very much, but a nice effort from Dion and Jonathon Drew.

May 11, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #1,134 of 1,369
C12 welcome to the thread.  I hate to be the bearer of bad news but your wife bought you cigars in Jamaica she just didn't buy you Cuban cigars. 

As for your current location, if what is in your profile is true I can understand why you have that issue.  But rest assured if you go onto the island you'd find cigars no problem.  As for storage on the island you have to understand there really isn't much need.  The humidity there is pretty constant and cigars are rolled specifically for the natural humidity.  Besides Cubans believe in rolling and smoking not storing so it isn't something they think about.  You have to remember cigars being rolled in Cuba is a 400 year old or more industry but the humidor wasn't invented until the early 20th century.  I wouldn't worry about not being stored right while on the island personally.

Cheers, J

May 11, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #1,135 of 1,369
I know that the Cubans are overrated.  The only ones I specifically want are Cohiba Siglo IV and Monticristo #2.  I've had fakes before and they were awful.  We'll see what I get when she gets back.

I can get just about anything I want if I order it.  As far as storage, the humidity is almost perfect but the temperature is to high for anything long term out of the box.  I have a converted wine cooler that I am using at the moment and it works quite well.  

May 11, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #1,136 of 1,369
I don't know about overrated but I know I like CC's and NC's.  My problem is that my NC tastes are in the $10 or more territory, usually $15.  My CC tastes are considerably cheaper.  JLP's are my everyday smoke.  And hell I can enjoy a Guatanamera if need be, still better than a Swisher.

May 11, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #1,137 of 1,369
I'm still searching for a good "cheap" everyday smoke.  The closest I've come is from a small roller in West Palm Beach that I know.  I've had a couple of his fresh rolled smokes that were outstanding and only about $5.  It's just a matter of getting them regularly.

May 12, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #1,138 of 1,369

Quote:
I don't know about overrated but I know I like CC's and NC's.  My problem is that my NC tastes are in the $10 or more territory, usually $15.  My CC tastes are considerably cheaper.  JLP's are my everyday smoke.  And hell I can enjoy a Guatanamera if need be, still better than a Swisher.

You need to smoke more Oliva Vs Jason. lol

May 12, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #1,139 of 1,369

Quote:
You need to smoke more Oliva Vs Jason. lol

The Oliva V is one of the few NC's that doesn't get to that cost.  In fact the last box of V Lancero's I scored was for $90.  It was a price mistake, obviously, but the merchant honored it anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back