The Official Cigar Thread
Feb 1, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #931 of 1,369
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.... And more beads is a good, not a bad thing. The more beads you have, the better it will maintain the set humidity.

guys, i need some more advice please. i followed this advice. i had 50 beads in a 300 humidor with about 200 sticks. the humidity would not go above 67. yesterday i put 50 more beads for a total of 100. today the rh is over 80%!

i guess, take some beads out? i probably have to fool around untill i find the right amount, right? i thought you could not add too many?

this is normally not a problem for me because i am smoking every day. for a few months i have not smoked because i have been sick. i am just trying to keep them ready for when i am well again and do not want them spoiled.

thanks,
music_man

Feb 1, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #932 of 1,369
Thanks Zarathustra19 and darkninja67, ill check them out.

Not a big smoker so small amounts would be fine.

I don't have one of them humidors, so how long can they be realistically be kept for before they don't taste as nice?

Feb 1, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #933 of 1,369
Quote:

Originally Posted by dejainc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heres the example from the Customs website

Example 4: Import of low value tobacco products (for example, 400 sticks = 8 packets x 25 sticks valued at $60) AUD$

Customs value (Cval) 60.00
Customs duty (Duty)@ $0.25679 per stick 102.72 (Payable)
International transport and insurance or postage (T&I) 30.00

Value of the Taxable Importation (VoTI) (Cval+Duty+T&I) 192.72
Goods and Services Tax (GST) @ 10 per cent of the VoTI 19.27 (Payable)
Total payable Duty + GST 121.99

Customs duty of $0.25679 is the rate applicable as of 2/2/2009

Thanks, but that does not really help...

Anyways I gave customs a call and they told me tax on cigar is $39.20Aud per 100gram plus GST on top. It's not too bad, still beats buying locally...

Feb 1, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #935 of 1,369
honestly i am using beads from the home depot garden department. they are like the crystals but they are for large trees. that may be my whole problem. some people have said they are the same thing as the heartfelt but i am now guessing they are not.
they are not set at 65 or 70 like the heartfelt. this is a polymer that heartfelt probably purchases somewhere unless they have a large manufacturing facility. so i do not know if they are the same or not. i will just go ahead and get the heartfelt. meanwhile i will put the credo back in there. 67 is better than 82 i take it lol.

music_man

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #936 of 1,369
Quote:

Originally Posted by cafe zeenuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, but that does not really help...

Anyways I gave customs a call and they told me tax on cigar is $39.20Aud per 100gram plus GST on top. It's not too bad, still beats buying locally...

Ahhh damn.... least you know now, thanks for sharing that info, saves me a phone call
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #937 of 1,369
Woah, lots o' questions. Excellent!

Music Man,
The beads you have may not be calibrated the same as beads sold specifically for use in humidors, so they probably behave differently. If you go back to your previous amount and have a humidity of about 65 to 70, thats great. I know many people who keep their humidors at 65 for aging rather than the industry touted 70 degrees 70 percent. You have some wiggle room, so don't stress the percentage too much.

Dejainc,
If you don't have a humidor its perfectly acceptable to use a plastic tupperware container or zip top bag. In order to keep the humidity right for longer term storage you'll need some beads or a humidification puck or some such. In those conditions, you'll be able to store them indefinitely. If you don't want to spring for those options, grab some distilled water from the drug store or grocery store and soak a paper towel or cotton swab in it and place it in the bag or tupperware with the cigars (make sure its separated somehow, like with a zip top bag with a few holes cut in it to allow air movement). That should keep them fresh for a week or two, but could lead to them being overly humid (which means the wrapper could split during smoke time). If you don't do either of these things, the flavor will deteriorate relatively slowly (a week to two weeks), but the cigars will lose humidity and burn faster and hotter, which will also ruin the flavors. Without humidification, I'd smoke them within 1 to 3 days. YMMV.

Hope this helps guys!

Cheers,
Zach

Feb 1, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #938 of 1,369
Music Man just get some Heartfelt 65% beads and be done with it. That is all I use in my boxes and they keep a steady 65 RH.

Feb 2, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #942 of 1,369
Hey guys,

Really enjoyed the Oliva V. Today i'm smoking a San Christobal Papagayo. A stronger, fuller bodied smoke than others, but less spicy than the Oliva. I like it a lot. About 1/3 of the way through. The cigar shop gave me a La Aroma for free to check out. You guys are corrupting me!

Feb 2, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #943 of 1,369
Good smokes Leo.

Well the Aristocrat is shipped. I think the woman and I have 7 or so boxes en route too. We lost count. Some Cubans and some non. Will post pics when they arrive.

Feb 4, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #944 of 1,369
I'm finishing up the La Aroma and have to admit that it doesn't measure up to either the V or the San Christobal. Although it does indeed pack a full punch, it is very straight forward, it seems to me to lack complexities. It seems a bolder R&J. Dark Angel or Zach, what do you recommend for my next try. I wouldn't mind something closer to medium strength, but not if that means comprising on the complexities.

Thanks!

Feb 4, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #945 of 1,369
I never thought of smoking Cigars until I was on a project in Cuba in the summer of 2004. It is such a part of the culture there that even the old woman selling fruit on a street corner is smoking a big homemade Cigar. I started sampling some of the local bootleg cigars and some of the "legit" ones. Settled on Montecristo #2 as a personal favorite. On my return to the US (Via Mexico...) I brought over some with me and ever since if I am in a duty free anywhere in the world I get a box on the way back and US customs never gave me a hard time. If it's for personal use it's no big deal (at least that's my experience...). I am not a hardcore Cigar smoker but I do often smoke my Shisha (Hookah, Nargila...) out on the patio with my UE Super Fi's in my ears. Just the smoke, the music and me. As far as emergency humidors, a Cuban gentleman suggested a tight tupperware container with a small cup of water inside. I never got to try it as I don't really store Cigars. A pocket travel Humidor is enough for me. I smoke them or give the away to friends. Can anyone reccomend other cigars similar to the Cuban Montecristo #2 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back