The Official Cigar Thread
Jul 28, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #721 of 1,369
My plan is to buy a box for now every other month and a box for aging every other month. Maybe 2 boxes for now every other month, since those will necessarily be cheaper
smily_headphones1.gif

I just set up my vino that i picked up from someone over at CA. My 2 overstuffed humis have been reassigned
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #722 of 1,369
I actually smoke only 1/week max
smily_headphones1.gif

That's also my whisky limit, 1 glass of scotch/week max.
And most of the time I only do 2-3 a month, so I don't even meet these limits all of the time.
Of course celebrations and occasions dismiss the limits, but as casual usage, these are pretty much it.

Jul 29, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #724 of 1,369
yeah, I completely agree, but my wallet does not
tongue.gif

Jul 29, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #725 of 1,369
Man, I should set some limits and stick to them, ha ha. I'm at about two to three a day at this point. Perhaps I should slow it down...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #726 of 1,369
I just couldn't handle the cigar breath if I smoked every day, and food just doesn't taste right the next day, if I smoke more than one within a day
tongue.gif

Jul 31, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #731 of 1,369
Nice to see this thread still ticking along enthusiastically! I'm a little up in the air with regards to taking up cigar smoking at present, admittedly, however. Been away to Benicasim festival in Spain for a week, and, then just been getting myself reintegrated into life back home, so havn't really gotten round to making any descisions on it yet but, my lack of funds and recent debt incurred mean it's financially not possible for me start up any time imminent. On top of that, I was got myself so engrossed and fascinated with and into the idea of cigar smoking and all what that entails- the keeping, storing and maitaining of cigars via humidors and humidification regulation, the different types, sizes and shapes and/or construction of cigars, the history etc etc- I was forgetting to clarify the root requirement of how and where I could aquire cigars at afforable and/or fair prices here in the UK and had kind of progressed off into researching humidors and humidor acessorries witout confirming anywhere (online) I could obtain cigars affordably. Obviously, if this isn't possible then it defeats the object and there's no real point in me getting into cigar smoking as a hobby at present.

The other factor is, being a regular and currently rather heavy cigarette smoker, I'm not sure if I should really be delving into the realm of cigars, as much as it appeals and is a different beast, in many ways, to cigarette smoking, when a few negatively shared, underpinning qualities of both forms of smoking product are the same; namely that both are tobacco products meaning both contain the addictive substance, nicotine, and both pose health risks by nature. You see, I'm still only relatively young at 22 and have only been smoking since I was nearly 19 (so 18, technically). Although I've smoked pretty darn heavy for the most part, due to above, I'm optimistic that if I quit before I'm 25- I, of course, hope and aim to achieve this as quick as possible beforehand- that, health wise, I'll be ok and, though my body will have suffered, I'll reecover for the most part. Frankly, after smoking a **** load in Benicasim, I can feel my health is reduced, nothing drastic, but perceptable definately, like a slighly wilted plant. I'm not sure I should be taking up cigar smoking because of this/my desire to be free of it soon and/or the anticipation I have that, if cigar smoking turns out to be affordable/sustainable for me, I will really take to it and enjoy the whole package.

I'll mull over it for a little while but I think I've pretty much made up my mind already, at least for now. Thanks everyone for the preliminary help, insight and advice you gave me on getting into this past time though! Much appreciated. Soz to break the rules and talk about the ill effects of smoking for a second there too. Rock on an smoke em' while you've got em
cool.gif

Aug 1, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #732 of 1,369
Well all, I finally found a way to start posting pics again, but unfortunately it involves posting my ugly mug on the internet, so you'll have to be put through that. My computer has a webcam thing that I can use to take snapshots until I get a new phone that has a working camera. So tonight I treat you to a shot of my smoking a La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero Chisel, courtesy of Gettysburg Cigar Company.

Snapshot_20090731_7.jpg

Rockin' the chops after my friend's 21st birthday, which ironically made me the only person at the table chosen to avoid an ID check. Guess I look older than I anticipated. Anyway, the chisel is a nice smoke. The lack of cutting still has me a little frazzled, as I can't take as much control of the smoke as normal, but its a good little smoke, powerful and flavorful, and has a much different flavor profile than the Nicaraguans I typically smoke.

Cheers all and happy August!

Edit: Also, thanks for dropping into the thread Bloodsugar, we're always happy to hear that someone is at the very least interested in the hobby. It is definitely an intensive labor of love to get started with cigars, and by all means don't start if you're uncomfortable with the risks associated with cigarettes paired with cigars, but if you decide to quit cigarettes, there's nothing wrong with an occasional cigar every now and then, and we're always here for advice and help.

Cheers.

Aug 2, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #733 of 1,369
Cheers BloodSugar00, try to do as your heart says, it'll turn out all good
smily_headphones1.gif

I started my cigar hobby very light, a few years back I got a humi meant for travelling, essentially a small leather case with cedar inserts. I kept it humidified enough so that the cigars didn't dry out, and smoked them as I bought 'em. When I gathered enough information, funds and experience, I bought a shoebox size humi. So you don't have to go "all-in" once you start.

Anyway, today I had a little bbq, grilled a few ox beefs and smoked a Cuba Flor de Rosa Corona. Listening to some Nick Cave, awesome day.

jaawa-albums-team-cigar-fi-picture3129-014-bbq.jpg

Aug 2, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #734 of 1,369
Zarathustra19 and Jaawa, thanks for feedback/advice, appreciated
wink.gif

Idealogically/conceptually, I am still torn. Keeping and smoking cigars does appeal to me quite a lot
tongue.gif
. No rush to make my mind up, however, obviously, and my finances dictate against any immediate forays into the hobby so I'll just let it swirl around my head, check into the practicality/affordability and then make my mind up as and when. I can have a tendancy to wana do too much too soon/plunge into things headfirst and I've just took the necessary step back and gained a nice, relaxed position over it.

Aug 3, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #735 of 1,369
The way to do it is to order 5 boxes of aged island smokes, a vinotemp, and a good lighter
smily_headphones1.gif
Anything else, and you're not going all in.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back