The Official Cigar Thread
Jul 2, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #571 of 1,369
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Box split

Maybe. I was under the impression that it was a 50 but with the gars running close to $10 each that is alot of dough. But I ran across a box of 25 at Holts. I'll think about it.

Jul 2, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #572 of 1,369
Quote:

Originally Posted by kydsid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe. I was under the impression that it was a 50 but with the gars running close to $10 each that is alot of dough. But I ran across a box of 25 at Holts. I'll think about it.

$500 a box is a bit stiff. For that we can get some Illusiones, La Aroma de Cuba Especial Edicions and some Tatuajes.

Jul 2, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #573 of 1,369
Quote:

$500 a box is a bit stiff. For that we can get some Illusiones, La Aroma de Cuba Especial Edicions and some Tatuajes.

Yes but we could also sell 5'ers of LGD's at CA and then buy the LAdCEE, Illusiones and Tats.
biggrin.gif

BTW looks like Holt's has a 24 box for $285 so about $12 a stick. Not too bad a price. Still looking for a good deal though.

PS Ever done business with ArnoldsTobaccoshop.com

Jul 2, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #574 of 1,369
Quote:

Yes but we could also sell 5'ers of LGD's at CA and then buy the LAdCEE, Illusiones and Tats.
biggrin.gif

BTW looks like Holt's has a 24 box for $285 so about $12 a stick. Not too bad a price. Still looking for a good deal though.

PS Ever done business with ArnoldsTobaccoshop.com

Never heard of that site. Check the thread at CA for reputable sellers. See if I can find it.

EDIT: They are listed/

Jul 2, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #575 of 1,369
Now to figure out what the difference is between LG Diez Chisel Puro in a 50 box and LG Diez Chisel Puro 2008 Vintage in a 24 box. One site shows a different box. Holt's has a pic of the 50 but says 24 to a box. LFD's site makes no mention of a 2008 vintage or pakaging change. It just says 24 to a box. Gah.

Jul 3, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #576 of 1,369
Got myself a CAO America for the fourth. Also finished a batch of home brewed apple cider. Nothing more American there, sorta. lol. Anyway, glad you got the package Bill, the M1's are my favorite budget smoke right now when I want a mild one. I'll also definitely think about a box of Monte #2's split before school starts. Those are what I smoked in Germany on a trip a few years back and they were the most memorable cigar I've had yet (probably because they were my first real sticks).

Cheers and happy 4th if I don't talk to you guys.

Zach

Jul 3, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #577 of 1,369
Good grab on the CAO. Enjoy it. I am kind of hoping I am working tomorrow. A lot of money can be made and could go towards more smokes.

Happy 4th to you all.

Jul 4, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #579 of 1,369
Happy Fourth Jason and the rest of headfi, especially the canned BOTL.

Got my smokes ready. Ordered some box fillers last night:

DBG Cuban Classic (Black label) belicosos. I figured 20 for $100 is a great price on a well regarded smoke. I like em enough so I jumped on it.

Jul 4, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #580 of 1,369
Quote:

Happy Fourth Jason and the rest of headfi, especially the canned BOTL.

Got my smokes ready. Ordered some box fillers last night:

DBG Cuban Classic (Black label) belicosos. I figured 20 for $100 is a great price on a well regarded smoke. I like em enough so I jumped on it.

Enjoy one on me. 110 here right now. Way too hot to enjoy any kind of smoke. I am really starting to rethink my own prohibition on smoking in the house.

Jul 6, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #582 of 1,369
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So,.. tomorrow I'm going to stock up on some Cubans I've never tried before ....

I have my eye on 3 pack of Cohiba Siglo IV..... (which are outrageously expensive in Canada)
frown.gif

But , does anyone have any recommendations for a favorite Cuban from another brand I should try ??

Try to find a Partagas Serie D #4 or a Bolivar Royal Corona. I think both smoke well fresh this year.

Jul 7, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #583 of 1,369
I'm pretty much totally green to the world of cigars- I've had a few cuban's, coeibas and mini Churchills, from Odd Bins and the cheap/generic varieties sold over most counters such King Edwards- but I'm keen to get into it more seriously/deeply! I'd preferably like to start my exploration with cubans but my initial (market) research on the net has made my eyes bulge at the sheer cost of buying anything over very small quantities (still expensive mind but affordable), sampler packs often costing hunderds of pounds!

Being in the UK, I imagine the ridiculous levels of tax we have to pay on tobacco products contributes significantly to these figures. Does anyone know where I could buy cuban cigars or other quality/recommended cigars at fair prices online? How do you buy your cigars in fact? Would you recommend other sources than online merchants?

Secondly, again as I'm pretty much totally new to this, any (starter) cigar recommendations would be welcome!

Cheers and happy smoking,

Steve

Jul 7, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #584 of 1,369
^ I'd say I buy 70% of my cigars online from the wide variety of internet retailers based in the US.

I was under the general impression that cigars in general regardless of country of origin were expensive in the UK. Have you compared cuban to non-cuban prices?

Other than that I would suggest since those of us who are always watching this thread are in the US, maybe Canada that you head over to CigarAsylum.com. Post an introduction thread and take a look around for your questions. If you don't find your answers there is a host of European based members who would be glad to help you out.

Jul 7, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #585 of 1,369
Quote:

^ I'd say I buy 70% of my cigars online from the wide variety of internet retailers based in the US.

I was under the general impression that cigars in general regardless of country of origin were expensive in the UK. Have you compared cuban to non-cuban prices?

Other than that I would suggest since those of us who are always watching this thread are in the US, maybe Canada that you head over to CigarAsylum.com. Post an introduction thread and take a look around for your questions. If you don't find your answers there is a host of European based members who would be glad to help you out.

Cheers for the reply and advice! I'll try that for starters then and try the forums at cigarasylum.com and see what info and/or tips and/or ways around the tax component, if any, I can find there...

You're right, cigars are expensive to buy in the UK, though I don't know if there's any other components/factors contributing to the high price other than the extortionate excise tax the UK regulates all tobacco products with.

I havn't compared cubans to non-cubans really, no. As I say, I am pretty fresh to the whole cigar scene so I'm literally looking for starter recommendations, insight, enlightenment, advice on where to start and, tied into that, where to obtain solid quality cigars at decent prices.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back