The O.J. mod (Olive-on-Jays)
Sep 16, 2008 at 1:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ClieOS

IEM Reviewer Extraordinaire
I don't personally like the eartips that come with my q-Jays. The silicone tips are too hard, the foam tips are too small. The worst part is none of them give me enough 'grip' in the ear canal, that is, I can't use my q-Jays without shirt clip since they will alway fell out, even in over-the-ear style (because of Jays' two piece, heavily built cable). More of, since q-Jays has a slightly different shaped nozzle, using my favorite Shure Black Foam (olive) on q-Jays has proven to be difficult w/o modification. So here is my solution: glue the foam of olive to the inner stem of the original Jays' foam - The Olive-on-Jays mod.

OJ.jpg

[Step 1]
Get yourself a pair of Shure olive and a pair of Jays foam, which come with most Jays IEM these days.

[Step 2]
Remove the both olive and Jays' inner stem. To remove olive inner stem, try using a sharp and pointy object to cut along the stem from the bottom end (careful!!!). Jays' stem can be ripped out by fingers.

[Step 3]
Make sure olive expends back to its original sharp before proceeding to the next step. The residual foam on Jays' stem should be cleaned as much as possible.

[Step 4]
Use a scissor and cut the bottom of olive as shown on picture. This will help the gluing process and make sure the olive will hold its shape at the end. Apply some glue on the area indicated with green color. The glue I used is UHU, you can use any non toxic multiple purpose adhesive but please avoid superglue.

[Step 5]
Put the two together and adjust them so the bottom is as flat as possible, like the original olive. Make sure the glue form an even and strong bond, Allow a few hours in open air for the glue to settle before testing it on your Jays. If you use UHU as I did, you might want to let it in the open air for a few days for the smell to dissipate.

Sep 16, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #4 of 11
I plan on doing this once I get q jays, but quick question:

Does the hole in the tip of the olive get smashed and obstructed once in the ear? I had this issue when using olives on other iems.

Sep 17, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the hole in the tip of the olive get smashed and obstructed once in the ear? I had this issue when using olives on other iems.

I don't have that problem with middle sized olive. I would suspect you might be using a size larger than you need (assuming you are not using the smallest one).

Sep 17, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #6 of 11
Thanks Chelos...

Dec 25, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #8 of 11
Yes, you can force the olive inner tube open and use it on any of the JAYS' IEM unmodified. I did the mod so it is less stressful for the nozzle.

Dec 25, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #9 of 11
would you say this mod gives them a killer sound...

and do the olives make them fit like a glove?

Dec 26, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'll say it is the latter mostly. The original JAYS foam are on the small size (and you have to insert it deeply) and often doesn't give me a good seal (and bad seal = bad sound).

Dec 26, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

if the glove doesn't fit...................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back