The Nordic Prog Rock Appreciation Thread
Dec 28, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #16 of 194
I found Audrey Horne and Circus Maximus to be more heavy metal than prog metal, though both are excellent.

For me Opeth are the masters of Scandinavian prog metal. It is the sheer scale of their sound and compositions, which make many of their tracks mini-epics. I am presently listening to the album Damnation and the track Closure, with I think is a perfect example of what I am trying to explain.

(InFn-O, I dont know why you self edited your original post on Opeth)

Dec 29, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #17 of 194
Circus Maximus started as a cover band of Dream Theater and Symphony X, so I guess they fit somewhere in the middle, maybe slightly more Symphony X-ish.
Seventh Wonder on the other hand are still quite heavy but maybe a bit more on the DT-ish side.

Dec 30, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #18 of 194
Presently loving this from Norway's Magic Pie.

cover_193422752007.jpg

It is a combination of so many different prog styles, beautifully played and produced.

Jan 2, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #19 of 194
Does anyone know if the likes of Anekdoten, Beardfish, The Flower Kings, Trettoariga Kriget tour anymore. Even better are any likely to tour Scotland?

Jan 2, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #20 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know if the likes of Anekdoten, Beardfish, The Flower Kings, Trettoariga Kriget tour anymore. Even better are any likely to tour Scotland?

at least some of them will tour again (Beardfish maybe in 2010) but I guess you should checked their myspaces for news
wink_face.gif

Jan 2, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #21 of 194
Thanks CTR. I've never been on Myspace, so I will do that. I had tried searches for tours, but was not getting anything obvious.

Jan 3, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #23 of 194
Found it and sadly Beardfish are not planning on coming to the UK in 2010.

Meanwhile I have been listening to a lot of CMX, a rock/metal/prog band from Finland. The album Talvinkuningas is excellent. I have never been one to actually listen to lyrics, so I like hearing Finnish voices singing. So far, from what I have heard overall there is a preference to a more growling, gravelly vocal which is not out and out metal roaring.

200px-Talvikuningas_boxset.jpg

Jan 3, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #25 of 194
I am guilty of this, but this thread is turning into a list of band names and with both Popol Vuh/Ace and Titanic sharing names with other bands, it is hard to figure out who is who. Can we get links or short descrptives to go with each band or album?

Thanks.

Jan 3, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #26 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am guilty of this, but this thread is turning into a list of band names and with both Popol Vuh/Ace and Titanic sharing names with other bands, it is hard to figure out who is who. Can we get links or short descrptives to go with each band or album?

Thanks.

Agreed. Sorry about that. I edited in links to both.

Funny story about Jahn Teigen, the singer of Popol Ace: Don't know how true it actually is, but he allegedly turned down the job as singer for Genesis, only to work in a Norwegian underpants-humour variety band (Prima Vera) and a long career of getting zero points in the Eurovision Song Contest.
wink.gif

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #27 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Änglagård (Sweden) is my favorite Scandinavian prog band at the moment, even though they barely have anything published.

/thread

I'm happy I bought their two studio albums and one live album while they were still available, nowadays it seems pretty hard (and costly) to obtain a copy.

Jan 3, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #28 of 194
So far, out of many favourites Anekdoten are my top band and the album Chapters. It is a sort of best of and rarities album. The sound is King Crimson with a mix of the 1970s and 1980s and a rock edge to the music. The mellotron is used to great effect to create lovely atmosphere.

41xKXUur20L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Jan 3, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #29 of 194
Nice topic.

I'm an avid Prog rock/metal consumer and when it comes to scandinavian prog rock bands I've gotta say Änglagård are my favorite.

However, there are other great bands: Anekdoten, Kaipa (by far Roine's best project) for example. And if you enter in the (prog) metal realm, then you gotta mention Opeth and Pain of Salvation way ahead of everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back