The Noble PR (pure / reference) Australian Tour Thread (Reviews and Comparisons)
Jun 26, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #31 of 82
  So I'm about to send these off. I'm not going to write a full review, I've had a bad head cold for the past week and my ears have been a bit blocked and I struggled to get a good fit with these. So I don't think I've had time to assess them properly. But here are my partial conclusions...

Build/fit/aesthetics: The build quality on these is excellent, solid and under-stated. The housing is huge, so much so that I had difficulty getting a good fit.

Switch: This is very interesting idea. At first I found it quite disconcerting. If you switch too much it just makes both modes sound bad. But once you get the hang of it it is pretty cool. I found myself mostly using the "Pure" mode, but switching to the more aggressive R mode for music with electric guitars when you want that extra bite. I think ultimately I'd prefer a single mode somewhere in the middle of the two, but I think I lot of people will really like the switch idea.

SQ: I think these would be better called Noble FA, Flat and Agressive. Reference and Pure are a bit vague and the descriptions they give make them sound the same. Switch up, "Pure" mode, they struck me as very flat. They remind me of the ER-4 in this mode, smooth, natural, balanced and detailed. Nothing out of place. But like the ER-4, at times lacking that last smidge of treble energy. In "Reference" mode, they tilt more towards the treble, giving them a clearer, more energetic character. Still good balance but trading off a little natural smoothness. In both modes bass is very flat natural, but bass-heads will find them lacking. Soundstage and imaging is superb, huge and very accurate to my ears.

Yes, that is true the PR isn't a good candidate for the bass head group. 

In fact the PR should be considered the most bass anemic product within the Noble line up.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Jul 7, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #32 of 82
Hi guys,

Here's a_recording's impression on the Noble PR.
[VIDEO]Noble PR 'Switch' IEM by Noble Audio: First Impre…: http://youtu.be/T5G6STIOMM4[/VIDEO]

Jul 8, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #34 of 82
Hi guys,

Here's a_recording's impression on the Noble PR.

They are two completely seperate configs, and "yes" it is a TRUE two in one IEM, the drivers are never shared in either mode. The switch is rated for 50K "throws."  That being said, I wouldn't recommed standing in the rain with the IEMs.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Jul 8, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #35 of 82

They are two completely seperate configs, and "yes" it is a TRUE two in one IEM, the drivers are never shared in either mode. The switch is rated for 50K "throws."  That being said, I wouldn't recommed standing in the rain with the IEMs.

Kutos for pushing the boundary in design! I'd like to see you guys try this with a hybrid IEM. One config with a fun and warm sound signature and second being your analytical reference sound. Now THAT would be an awesome pair of IEMs.

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #36 of 82
That's a bit freaky... I literally just finished watching Lachlan's video and there's a knock on the door from the postman delivering those very Noble PRs into my care...

Impressions to come. Let the week begin...

That is indeed freaky... Lol.

Looking forward to your review mate.

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #37 of 82
Early impressions: I like the Pure configuration despite the lack of bass (I think so anyway - the setting I think is Pure has the switch to the back of my head when the IEMs are inserted). The sound is clean and resolved, but not too bright which surprised me as a non-treble head.

The Reference setting (I think - switch towards the front when IEMs are inserted) is a little tinny sounding on first listen, but has a great sense of space, especially coming from the slightly warmer sound of the Pure mode. For me, the sound is probably a bit too bright in Pure mode, but manages to be bright without rampant sibilance which is impressive.

Jul 8, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #39 of 82
  Early impressions: I like the Pure configuration despite the lack of bass (I think so anyway - the setting I think is Pure has the switch to the back of my head when the IEMs are inserted). The sound is clean and resolved, but not too bright which surprised me as a non-treble head.

The Reference setting (I think - switch towards the front when IEMs are inserted) is a little tinny sounding on first listen, but has a great sense of space, especially coming from the slightly warmer sound of the Pure mode. For me, the sound is probably a bit too bright in Pure mode, but manages to be bright without rampant sibilance which is impressive.

Great impression mate! I find the PURE configuration perfect for late night low volume listening... detail comes through easily and quite immersive.

Jul 8, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #40 of 82
That's a bit freaky... I literally just finished watching Lachlan's video and there's a knock on the door from the postman delivering those very Noble PRs into my care...

Impressions to come. Let the week begin...

The other switch model, the Noble FR is a two in one as well, fun mode and a reference mode

Jul 11, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #41 of 82
Just finished a full review on my blog so I'll just post the general impressions here.

The build, range of accessories and overall execution of the PR's mission (being detailed and analytical IEMs) is fantastic. They are an IEM of particular tastes though and will appeal to some and not others (Lachlan's video is case in point I think
wink.gif
). While I personally wouldn't buy a pair of these due to my personal tastes, they show off Dr Moulton's expertise at crafting a surgically accurate IEM without falling into the trap of making an in-your-face treble monster. Here are a couple of choice quotes, the summary from my review and the link to the full review below.

I really like the overall tonality of the Pure mode. It’s very neutral and very detailed, but has a smoothness that’s surprising for a detail-oriented IEM. It can get a tiny bit treble happy if the recording dictates it, but it’s not a treble monster and will only show what’s there in the recording. I think it could have been called “Transparent” instead of Pure because it just shows you what’s there for better or worse. My only criticism of the Pure mode would be a slight lack of natural bass. There is bass present in the reproduction from the Pure mode, but it’s just a little shy of neutral compared to what you would hear from a live, acoustic performance (i.e. just considering the natural bass resonance of say a guitar or cello).

If Pure mode is smooth detail, Reference mode is fast detail. After flicking the little switch on each IEM, the PR becomes a single-BA IEM, details become turbocharged and the sound takes a hit of some kind of illicit drug! Suddenly, Pure mode sounds like muffled mode. Of course it’s not muffled at all, but the Reference mode is just so darn open and fast. Reference mode was enjoyable for what it was. I also think it presents slightly more punch in the bass so even though extension is about the same in both modes, the Reference mode seems a bit more full-range. A quick test with 2Cellos says it’s a slightly more realistic representation of the cello’s range of resonance, but still falls just short of total realism (in frequency response).

Summary

For $699 (USD), the PR isn’t a cheap IEM, but it’s very well priced for the levels of performance on offer. That said, it’s not going to be for everyone. This isn’t a full-range IEM in my opinion and that will limit its abilities to create an enjoyable and immersive listening experience on some genres. There’s no doubt that it completely nails its brief to be a detail monster while still maintaining a sense of musicality and enjoyment (i.e. it doesn’t fall into the “super-bright treble = detail” trap), but I believe it is more of an analytical listening tool than a musical enjoyment device. Of course, that might just be a matter of taste so others might love all the detail and find that to be their doorway to musical enjoyment. If so, this IEM is a cracker and I’d highly recommend it! For those who want a more balanced (i.e. with natural levels of bass) presentation, don’t discount the Noble products, but look at some of their other beautiful options rather than the PR.

http://passionforsound.wordpress.com/2014/07/11/noble-pr-iem/

Jul 11, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #42 of 82
  Just finished a full review on my blog so I'll just post the general impressions here.

The build, range of accessories and overall execution of the PR's mission (being detailed and analytical IEMs) is fantastic. They are an IEM of particular tastes though and will appeal to some and not others (Lachlan's video is case in point I think
wink.gif
). While I personally wouldn't buy a pair of these due to my personal tastes, they show off Dr Moulton's expertise at crafting a surgically accurate IEM without falling into the trap of making an in-your-face treble monster. Here are a couple of choice quotes, the summary from my review and the link to the full review below.

I really like the overall tonality of the Pure mode. It’s very neutral and very detailed, but has a smoothness that’s surprising for a detail-oriented IEM. It can get a tiny bit treble happy if the recording dictates it, but it’s not a treble monster and will only show what’s there in the recording. I think it could have been called “Transparent” instead of Pure because it just shows you what’s there for better or worse. My only criticism of the Pure mode would be a slight lack of natural bass. There is bass present in the reproduction from the Pure mode, but it’s just a little shy of neutral compared to what you would hear from a live, acoustic performance (i.e. just considering the natural bass resonance of say a guitar or cello).

If Pure mode is smooth detail, Reference mode is fast detail. After flicking the little switch on each IEM, the PR becomes a single-BA IEM, details become turbocharged and the sound takes a hit of some kind of illicit drug! Suddenly, Pure mode sounds like muffled mode. Of course it’s not muffled at all, but the Reference mode is just so darn open and fast. Reference mode was enjoyable for what it was. I also think it presents slightly more punch in the bass so even though extension is about the same in both modes, the Reference mode seems a bit more full-range. A quick test with 2Cellos says it’s a slightly more realistic representation of the cello’s range of resonance, but still falls just short of total realism (in frequency response).

Summary

For $699 (USD), the PR isn’t a cheap IEM, but it’s very well priced for the levels of performance on offer. That said, it’s not going to be for everyone. This isn’t a full-range IEM in my opinion and that will limit its abilities to create an enjoyable and immersive listening experience on some genres. There’s no doubt that it completely nails its brief to be a detail monster while still maintaining a sense of musicality and enjoyment (i.e. it doesn’t fall into the “super-bright treble = detail” trap), but I believe it is more of an analytical listening tool than a musical enjoyment device. Of course, that might just be a matter of taste so others might love all the detail and find that to be their doorway to musical enjoyment. If so, this IEM is a cracker and I’d highly recommend it! For those who want a more balanced (i.e. with natural levels of bass) presentation, don’t discount the Noble products, but look at some of their other beautiful options rather than the PR.

http://passionforsound.wordpress.com/2014/07/11/noble-pr-iem/

Well done mate! I have updated the OP with the link to your review.
Thank you for joining the tour.

Jul 30, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #44 of 82
Pure Setting
Wow, I really did not expect to like the PR so much, they really shocked me the first time I listened to them, they far exceeded my expectations. The Pure mode seems a little V shaped but definitely not overly so. The bass is very nice and punchy, being one of the fastest IEMs that I have come across but having some very good impact. I did not find the bass lacking when I listened to the Pure setting. The sub-bass was not as present as I would have liked, but it wasn't too bad, actually, it never bothered me at all. On the graph from Tyll of InnerFidelity, the sub-bass does not really seem like it is that rolled off, only by a little bit. The midrange was my favourite part of the PR, it was a little recessed, but I actually find that to make the presentation more realistic. The vocals were perfect, just the right amount of warmth and clarity as well as being superbly detailed. Pianos were a little bright, but it was not too annoying. The treble was a little bit bright and sibilant, but it was definitely tolerable and did not bother me most of the time. It was detailed and I was actually quite impressed by the clarity that these possess. Overall, the Pure setting is awesome and I really love it, just the pure setting would have justified the $700 price tag for me, but there is another setting that can be changed by just flicking a switch. 

Reference Setting
I've read that the reference setting changes the PR into a single BA IEM that has a "Reference" sound. I was a little sceptical of what the switch would mean in terms of sound quality. I understand the concept of changing filters to alter the sound, but I have never seen an IEM that changes the sound by just flicking a switch and I thought that it would degrade the sound. I don;t know if it did, but the PR sounds absolutely fantastic in both settings. The Reference setting is also spectacular, if I didn't that it was only using a single BA, I would definitely not have suspected it. The bass is a little lighter, especially the sub-bass and it is a little less detailed compared to the Pure. The midrange is the same clear midrange of the Pure setting, but it is a hair brighter and sounds much more forward. Th midrange is actually a little better in clarity, but instruments have a little bit of an odd edge to their sound. The treble of the Reference setting seems overall more forward, but it is not as spiky as the Pure setting, which was what making the treble a little sibilant. The treble here is very nice and actually nicer than the Pure IMO. 

I had a wonderful time with the Noble PR and I would like to thank Noble Audio and d_marc0 for making this happen. You guys have a made a fantastic product or two lol. 

Jul 30, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #45 of 82
Nice impressions mate! You seemed to have a ball! Makes me want to try them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back