The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Mar 23, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #5,401 of 5,895
Hey Bigshot, did you know Tokina was started by former Nikon lens engineers? That's why their lenses zoom and focus the same direction. I used to think that all other cameras were backwards when growing up until I realized that it was just Nikons

Mar 25, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #5,402 of 5,895
I just got my first DSLR this past summer. I was trained on Canons, but after comparing the features of the entry models I decided that Nikon would be the better route (really liked the 50% longer battery runtime in particular) and got a D5100. I really like the camera! I do miss the depth of field preview button and the sensor that turns off the screen when you look through the viewfinder and turns it on again when you move your face away, but those are minor tradeoffs. My friend boasts about his mirrorless Sony camera, and it seems like many are going in the pseudo-DSLR direction, but I appreciate the traditional viewfinder system and don't mind the extra bulk.

Mar 25, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #5,404 of 5,895
Hell, even Nikon's FE/FM series and associated lenses was light - way light in comparison. Most 28-85 lenses weigh less than 400 grams, some far less. You can have three lenses and a camera that weigh less than a single D3X with battery. It's amazing how digital technology has shrunk everything: microprocessors, transistors, circuits, but with cameras that have the same size sensor/film, digital cameras are bigger 100% of the time. 

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #5,405 of 5,895
Quote:
Hell, even Nikon's FE/FM series and associated lenses was light - way light in comparison. Most 28-85 lenses weigh less than 400 grams, some far less. You can have three lenses and a camera that weigh less than a single D3X with battery. It's amazing how digital technology has shrunk everything: microprocessors, transistors, circuits, but with cameras that have the same size sensor/film, digital cameras are bigger 100% of the time. 

As much as I still like taking pics with F3HP with 50 f/1.2, it is not efficient using it during business trip.  The GF1 with 20 f/1.7 is perfect walk around in unknown territory...

Mar 25, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #5,406 of 5,895
I just got my first DSLR this past summer. I was trained on Canons, but after comparing the features of the entry models I decided that Nikon would be the better route (really liked the 50% longer battery runtime in particular) and got a D5100. I really like the camera! I do miss the depth of field preview button and the sensor that turns off the screen when you look through the viewfinder and turns it on again when you move your face away, but those are minor tradeoffs. My friend boasts about his mirrorless Sony camera, and it seems like many are going in the pseudo-DSLR direction, but I appreciate the traditional viewfinder system and don't mind the extra bulk.
Mirror less systems are already outselling DSLRs in Asia by about 3:1. Smaller and lighter are always key factors for consumers. Still not a true match for the performance of a DSLR though. Congrats on your new Nikon. The D5100 is dope.
I still like the GF1 when I want to travel light and don't feel carrying 10+#.

The GF 1 rocks. I still use mine.

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #5,409 of 5,895
In all direct comparisons with their biggest competitor, Nikon have proved inept in creating trustworthy electronics. I'm not a canon or nikon fanboy, but I have lenses I like. The lenses I've used and I've borrowed in the last 6 or 7 years have been pretty good but overall, Canon EF lenses last longer and comparable AFS lenses. The Nikon lenses may be made more sturdily, but electronically, they break down faster. Body wise, I'm not sure. Canon seem to retain button placement better than Nikon do, but as we know, nothing can touch the D800 sensor for now. That, and being somewhat invested in Nikon glass, I will likely not change camps soon. However, that may change. My lenses are all Ai/S lenses (and as sharp and colourful as their newer G counterparts) that can be adapted to Canon bodies, or a real digital F body (what I'm hoping for) from Cosina or someone. 
All the manufacturers play with the button layouts here and there. Nikon used to have a two-button two step process to zoom in on the image. But thankfully have since adopted Canons one button zoom in feature. Canon has now gone to a two-button two-step zoom in on the 5D mk III just like the old Nikons. Why change a good thing?

Canon has moved buttons from the camera back left side on the 10-30D to the bottom on the 40-50D and back to the left side on the 7D and all over on the 60D. Even the power switch has moved.

Mar 26, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #5,410 of 5,895
Quote:

As much as I still like taking pics with F3HP with 50 f/1.2, it is not efficient using it during business trip.  The GF1 with 20 f/1.7 is perfect walk around in unknown territory...

Oh yes, of course! The F3HP is a great camera, but a professional one with semi-grip and massive viewfinder. It is still smaller than a D700/300/800 and better made. A better comparison would be an FE, which was closer to a 'consumer' camera, though still larger than Nikon's smallest SLRs and much larger than Pentax or Olympus' SLR cameras. Today's m43 and other systems use tiny amazing sensors and are small. But no SLR today is made as small and user-friendly as SLRs from years ago. I really wish a D800 sensor would be put in the likes of an FE body. I'm not alone either.

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #5,411 of 5,895
To me this is where cameras are eventually going to be heading towards. I mean for instance look at the Sony RX-1, its a full frame point and shoot for gosh sakes. This alone proves that it is possible. also I believe that they were better made back in the day too. I have an old minolta 35mm camera that I inherited from my father. Its made of metal and looks as good as new. Camera companies are just figuring this out with fujifilms line of mirror less cameras. Now they just need to make DSLR's like that. I believe they would sell like hotcakes. 

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #5,414 of 5,895
Quote:
The Sony RX-1 with interchangable lenses is really what we need. But then theres the new Leica M camera. Full Frame, 24 MP CMOS Sensor. But then again it will cost an arm and leg. Not to mention that the Sony is not cheap by any means.

Well Leica isn't really Leica anymore so the days of them being the pinnacle of photographic hardware are gone. They really missed the boat in digital. Shot Leica's and Nikons for years. What I really want is an F3T with a digital sensor conversion kit. That's never going to happen when Nikon insists on trying to squeeze 10K plus out of you for a pro digital solution.

Oh yeah, and it's bigger than a friggin buick now. I realize batteries are the limiting factor in downsizing DSLR's but by god no way am I ever going down that road again. For the size of a DSLR kit I might as well carry the ELM into the field and scan to digital.

I'll lug around the P5000 and 6000 with the TC3 Ed convertor and the EC 63 and have a fairly good solution for most cases.

When it came down to it for a main Digital Camera it was the GF series (largely due to the availability of adapters for Leitz M glass) an entry level DSLR and the final winner the Fuji HS20. The Fuji won out with lens performance envelope and AA battery operation. Thus far I have not regretted that purchase.

Mar 29, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #5,415 of 5,895
Quote:
Well Leica isn't really Leica anymore so the days of them being the pinnacle of photographic hardware are gone. They really missed the boat in digital. Shot Leica's and Nikons for years. What I really want is an F3T with a digital sensor conversion kit. That's never going to happen when Nikon insists on trying to squeeze 10K plus out of you for a pro digital solution.

Oh yeah, and it's bigger than a friggin buick now. I realize batteries are the limiting factor in downsizing DSLR's but by god no way am I ever going down that road again. For the size of a DSLR kit I might as well carry the ELM into the field and scan to digital.

I'll lug around the P5000 and 6000 with the TC3 Ed convertor and the EC 63 and have a fairly good solution for most cases.

When it came down to it for a main Digital Camera it was the GF series (largely due to the availability of adapters for Leitz M glass) an entry level DSLR and the final winner the Fuji HS20. The Fuji won out with lens performance envelope and AA battery operation. Thus far I have not regretted that purchase.

Well I have always cringed at bridge/superzooms. However, Fuji is probably the one exception because I have read good things about that camera. IMO I believe that if your going to get something like a bridge camera then you might as well go up to a DSLR or Mirrorless because of the features, image quality, amount of lenses, and everything minus the price. However now cameras have gotten so good that even the iPhone is being compared to DSLR quality. Although after owning a DSLR I don't think I can go back to not having one. But I'm glad that you don't regret your purchase and found something that works for you, because that is really the most important thing; something that you enjoy to take pictures with and something that wont sit in a desk drawer for years without being touched. 

Nice Pic BTW

Here's a recent pic that I took while in Arizona 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back