The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Mar 20, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #5,387 of 5,895
Quote:

I heard a lot of dislike on ergonomics, for me coming from D200 I have no issues on ergonomics and button layout.  The 28-70 is a great lens, always love it but never really get a chance to own one.  When I received the D800E I need a better zoom lens than my 35-70 f/2.8, the natural decision goes to the 24-70 f/2.8.

If by better you mean faster focusing or wider, then, yeah, the 24-70 is a better lens. It isn't however, going to last as long as it is made with more electronics, which Nikon have proved at some point, to be inept in creating. The 24-70 is also much heavier and lacks an aperture ring. If you intend to use it 100% digital, or to never go older than FE AF style cameras, you will love it. It is fun, but honestly, I feel that Nikon took several steps backwards with it versus the 28-70. BTW, I know a number of product photographers who use it in lieu of a proper macro: the close focusing at 70mm is great!

Mar 20, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #5,388 of 5,895
Quote:
If by better you mean faster focusing or wider, then, yeah, the 24-70 is a better lens. It isn't however, going to last as long as it is made with more electronics, which Nikon have proved at some point, to be inept in creating. The 24-70 is also much heavier and lacks an aperture ring. If you intend to use it 100% digital, or to never go older than FE AF style cameras, you will love it. It is fun, but honestly, I feel that Nikon took several steps backwards with it versus the 28-70. BTW, I know a number of product photographers who use it in lieu of a proper macro: the close focusing at 70mm is great!

I agreed on lack of aperture ring is a pain and I still do have F3HP and F5, that is why I still have my 35 f/2.0 and 50  f/1.2 AIS lens.  For product shots, I still use my 60 f/2.8D Micro but planning to sell it to get the Zeiss 100 f/2 Makro.

The focusing is much faster on the 24-70 compare to 35-70 and that extra 24 and 28 mm is much needed for traveling. 

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #5,391 of 5,895
Quote:
F5 will work fully with a "G" lens, I think.

Yes as will many digital film bodies. I purchases lenses that work 100% on real film bodies, though, even ones that have no electronics in them at all, like the FM. These lenses work really well on all camera systems.

Mar 21, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #5,392 of 5,895
Quote:
I don't really like the D800. It has a great sensor, but apart from that, its ergonomics and button layout has changed too much from the D700 to be really 'Nikon', and it has so many problems that have nothing to do with the touted AF issues.

i hate my D800 also. buttons moved so I keep hitting wrong ones, focus problems (focus jumps to infinity all time) and fps sucks (for weddings)... rather use the d300 or d700

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #5,393 of 5,895
I love the D800
It is by far the best digital camera I have ever used to date. I don't mind the weight and size especially when you see what this camera can do in extreme situations! 

Mar 22, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #5,394 of 5,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by musubi1000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(snip) amazing sunset and flowers (/snip)

I love the D800
It is by far the best digital camera I have ever used to date. I don't mind the weight and size especially when you see what this camera can do in extreme situations! 

Beautifully shot.

The D800 is a great digital camera, but it really acts completely like a digital camera. An FE from the 1970's essentially is its historic analogue and is much smaller, much more sturdy, and much more ergonomic for the lenses it was built to use than the D800 is for its own lenses. Image quality is one thing, but it's unfortunately not a Nikon-only thing. The sensor can be popped into another camera. I'd be very happy if it could be plopped into an FE-sized camera, or better yet, a mirror less camera. I'd love an x-pro 1 with the D800 sensor. As digital cameras go, it is great, but digital cameras are awful unless you just kachakachakachakacha a million times a second. Maybe a digital back for an FE with the D800 sensor. 

I'm amazed by image quality, too. I recently shot at 3200 and 6400 for A4 sized prints in a year book and they all looked fine even prior to noise reduction.

Mar 22, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #5,395 of 5,895
Thanks Shig but where do you hear Nikon can't make anything electronic as well? The 24-70 has been a very reliable lens for me and everyone I know that has one. I dumped my 28-70 after side by side comparisons proved to me how much better the 24-70 was. True you can't use it on an old film camera but You'd be better off using a film era lens anyway as the newer lenses are being optimised for digital anyway. the older film lenses will exhibit higher contrast.

Mar 22, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #5,396 of 5,895
Quote:
Thanks Shig but where do you hear Nikon can't make anything electronic as well? The 24-70 has been a very reliable lens for me and everyone I know that has one. I dumped my 28-70 after side by side comparisons proved to me how much better the 24-70 was. True you can't use it on an old film camera but You'd be better off using a film era lens anyway as the newer lenses are being optimised for digital anyway. the older film lenses will exhibit higher contrast.

In all direct comparisons with their biggest competitor, Nikon have proved inept in creating trustworthy electronics. I'm not a canon or nikon fanboy, but I have lenses I like. The lenses I've used and I've borrowed in the last 6 or 7 years have been pretty good but overall, Canon EF lenses last longer and comparable AFS lenses. The Nikon lenses may be made more sturdily, but electronically, they break down faster. Body wise, I'm not sure. Canon seem to retain button placement better than Nikon do, but as we know, nothing can touch the D800 sensor for now. That, and being somewhat invested in Nikon glass, I will likely not change camps soon. However, that may change. My lenses are all Ai/S lenses (and as sharp and colourful as their newer G counterparts) that can be adapted to Canon bodies, or a real digital F body (what I'm hoping for) from Cosina or someone. 

Mar 22, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #5,397 of 5,895
I have lenses by Nikon, Tokina, Tamron and Samyang. I also have a full bag of film era Nikkors. I MUCH prefer the new lenses to the old Nikkors, and I find the third party lenses can be just as good as the equivalent Nikon lenses. Lots of lenses are well made now.

I imagine you'd be able to come up with preferences for one over the other if you drop it on the sidewalk, but I don't plan to do that. I take good care of my toys.

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #5,399 of 5,895
It's weird but I really like my screw drive lenses better than the ones with focus motors. For some reason they seem to focus faster and lock in better. Especially my Tokina 17-50 2.8. That lens is peppy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back