The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Nov 9, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #5,026 of 5,895
The 300 is a better option than the 200 if you can go that route, if for no other reason than for being able to shoot much higher ISO without too much noise.  The 200 still struggles there.  And I agree, if you think you'll be shooting outdoors or rough on equipment, these prosumer cameras are weather proofed and tough.

I'd consider a flash, not a mush have since you'll have a built in and a tri-pod.  I'm old school and still think shooting from a tri-pod is good practice when you can do it.... again, NOT a must have.

Have fun with the new hobby.

Quote:

Any suggestions on MUST GET items?

I planned on picking up these two things along with the camera.. Anything else I gotta get?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VPE1WK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q3C98S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #5,027 of 5,895
Quote:
The 300 is a better option than the 200 if you can go that route, if for no other reason than for being able to shoot much higher ISO without too much noise.  The 200 still struggles there.  And I agree, if you think you'll be shooting outdoors or rough on equipment, these prosumer cameras are weather proofed and tough.

I'd consider a flash, not a mush have since you'll have a built in and a tri-pod.  I'm old school and still think shooting from a tri-pod is good practice when you can do it.... again, NOT a must have.

Have fun with the new hobby.

yeah, tri pod and flash are probably my next buy. I'm trying to get the initial sticker shock as low as possible though :p

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #5,028 of 5,895
I love my D200. It does everything I need to do. It also takes lenses without focusing motors, which to me is more important than resolution or low light. I regularly shoot at night with the D200. It is plenty fast with a good prime.

Sometimes the more recent model isn't always better. I had an F2 forever. I sold it when I inherited my dad's F3. I wish I had never sold it. It was a lot easier to shoot with.

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #5,029 of 5,895
The D200 is really a good one.  I picked one up recently to replace a worn out back up camera.  It's great.  The only time I feel like it lets me down now is shooting fast moving sports indoors, say Volleyball in poorly lit gyms (as if there are well lit gyms, ha).  Even with a fast prime it just can't do what the new cameras can do in low light.  And you can pick 'em up cheap in super condition.  Other than that I wouldn't hesitate to grab it instead of one of the new bodies when shooting.

Quote:
I love my D200. It does everything I need to do. It also takes lenses without focusing motors, which to me is more important than resolution or low light. I regularly shoot at night with the D200. It is plenty fast with a good prime.
Sometimes the more recent model isn't always better. I had an F2 forever. I sold it when I inherited my dad's F3. I wish I had never sold it. It was a lot easier to shoot with.

Nov 9, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #5,030 of 5,895
Going to be buying my first DSLR soon and I am thinking of going Nikon. Not too fond of buying a kit lenses, though I may only be able to afford the awesome deal at costco for the D3100 and have to upgrade lenses later. Very much excited. Also heard the D5200 will be coming out soon, hope it drops prices of other products.

Nov 9, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #5,031 of 5,895
Quote:
Going to be buying my first DSLR soon and I am thinking of going Nikon. Not too fond of buying a kit lenses, though I may only be able to afford the awesome deal at costco for the D3100 and have to upgrade lenses later. Very much excited. Also heard the D5200 will be coming out soon, hope it drops prices of other products.

what's the costco deal?

Nov 9, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #5,032 of 5,895
Ken Rockwell is already reporting a massive price drop on the 5100

Nov 9, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #5,034 of 5,895
Nov 10, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #5,036 of 5,895
Quote:

Got it. Thanks for the advice. I am excited to get into photography and learn about it.

Whoa, there!  Are you aware of the limitations of only owning one normal prime?  Are you willing to accept the compromises?

Have you looked into this in enough detail that you know you want a DSLR and that there isn't a mirrorless solution that might be better for your needs?  If you're not pretty familiar with the principles of photography, it might be a good idea to invest in a good P&S, even, that allows for some manual control so that you know what you are getting yourself into.

I don't mean to discourage your entry into this wonderful thing but jumping into a DSLR for $700 might not be the wisest way to start.

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #5,037 of 5,895
Whoa, there!  Are you aware of the limitations of only owning one normal prime?  Are you willing to accept the compromises?

Have you looked into this in enough detail that you know you want a DSLR and that there isn't a mirrorless solution that might be better for your needs?  If you're not pretty familiar with the principles of photography, it might be a good idea to invest in a good P&S, even, that allows for some manual control so that you know what you are getting yourself into.

I don't mean to discourage your entry into this wonderful thing but jumping into a DSLR for $700 might not be the wisest way to start.

I've taken photos with my moms point and shoot. Played with the basics of photography and composition. But maybe you are right waiting though. Im not prepared to spend that amount of money I think.

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #5,038 of 5,895
Quote:
Ken Rockwell is already reporting a massive price drop on the 5100

Boy, I'd like to see them drop even more! The price hasn't dropped since I've first started researching (1-2 months now). At least, if it has, I haven't noticed. Then again.. I was looking at Pentax.

Anyone else a fan of the red finish option for the D3200? Maybe I'm just a photo-nub, but I think it's sexy as all hell.

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #5,039 of 5,895

Users who are viewing this thread

Back