The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Dec 16, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #5,056 of 5,895
The F2 was a great camera. I sold mine when I inherited my Dad's F3 and I still regret it.

Dec 16, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #5,058 of 5,895
Quote:
AdoramaPix is great and I have also heard great things about Mpix.

Mpix is great. I have used them both for color correction and regular no correction prints. Another one is Nations Lab in baltimore which I will try also. I am ordering an Epson wireless printer for basic 4X6 5X7 and 81/2X11 but will still use the online services as ink can be expensive. The great thing is it is so easy to shoot Raw and load them on to photoshop and then send them out online. Two pro's I know use Mpix and Nations Lab and love them both.

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #5,060 of 5,895
I didn't wait. I got a D7000 because it had the pro features I wanted, particularly support for legacy lenses. Great camera.

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #5,063 of 5,895
Quote:
Have a tripod incoming but can't decide on ball head, it is between Markins Q10 or RRS BH-40. Anyone have used both and can recommend one? Camera is D800 with battery pack, the biggest lens I have is 70-200.

I had the Vanguard ball head tripod sent it back for a Manfretto with a Pan head. if you going to do landscape photography the ball IMO is useless. The Pan head is much easier to work with landscape shots at least for me it was so much easier to work and also to pan with for panorama shots.

Jan 19, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #5,065 of 5,895
Quote:
I have a Manfretto tripod with mini gear head already, looking for a lighter weight one and I tried ball head with landscape it is not as bad as you said.

I thought it was a bad as I said IMO. For me I would not use any ball head for landscape work.  If you like balk heads then go for it. I was disappointed with the ballhead I tried. my master photographer teacher who been selling landscape for 40 years uses only a pan head also. He also had similiar results.

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #5,066 of 5,895
howdy do, nikonians.  I've converted from Canon to Nikon with my recent purchase of a D600!  i am waiting to get a lens in the mail...so i've been stuck without a lens for a couple days.  Got it used for about $1500 with less than 800 shots on it and unregistered warrantee card.  Looks like it has no issues--I shot with it and saved onto my memory card before buying it (tested his lens).

for now I'm getting the 50mm 1.8D and looking to buy a 85mm 1.8D.  Prices of used nikon lenses seem really high....and there's almost no telling how old the D lenses are since they've been around for so long........

My third lens will be an ultrawide angle..

I've found used Canon lenses to be really cheap.. I just sold all but one of my 6 lenses along with my Rebel T1i body (It was time to move to full frame). 
- rokinon 8mm fisheye (super sharp all manual)
- Sigma 10-20mm ultrawide
- Sigma 30mm 1.4
- Canon 40mm 2.8 pancake (friend gave me this one)
- Sigma 50mm 1.4 (my favorite by far)
- Sigma 70-300mm APO macro lens which was a cheap $100 but quite good lens.

My decision to go FF was accelerated by the last event (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hyogen82/sets/72157632641336362/) I shot recently in which I realized I really only needed the 50mm 1.4 (85mm on FF) and maybe an ultrawide.  And of courrse a wider lens like a 50 or 35mm.  I used pretty much the 50mm exclusively.  On my aging Rebel T1i I was forced to shoot at ISO800, 1/60, and f/1.6.  I could have shot at 1.4, but I would have liked to have stopped down to get a greater DoF.  I had to rely on the center dot focus + recompose in which sometimes I missed the shot.  I didn't want to go higher than ISO800 because of noise and I definitely could have used a faster shutter speed. 

What I kinda worry about is that I'm coming from a huge, heavy, well reviewed 50mm 1.4 by Sigma that I'm going to be getting only $330 for or so.........  to a similarly priced Nikon 85mm 1.8D (no motor inside and super old lens).  Not only is it slower, but probably louder.  What are your guys' thoughts?  I like to shoot wide open for portraits and the Sigma was tack sharp.  For a Sigma 85 1.4 lens I'm going to have to drop almost $900 for used..  I can't do that now, so I'll just get an 85mm 1.8 which is still expensive.  Canon's 85mm 1.8 can be had new for $300 or so. 

I'm going with the 50mm 1.8D because I've read it's significantly sharper than the 1.4 or 1.8G version.  I got one on Canon forums for $90...hehe.  Fred Miranda buy/sell seems to have high prices, Craigslist has even higher used prices...and eBay is pretty high also.  Another example of how much cheaper Canon is for used lenses and how much more available they are is the 135mm F2.0 L lenss which goes regularly for between $700-800 used in-like new condition.  It's an amazing lens, which I only hope the Nikon 135 2.0 can match--although it has the Defocusing--it's something like $1000+ used! 

Anyway, i'm super excited to get A lens and hope to find my favorite focal length of 85mm soon.  I'm not really complaining too bad am I?  I just have a super limited budget and a wife that has made me sign a contract--no new body or lenses for 6 years.  I can have a total of 3 lenses....and I can switch one lens during this 6 years... :p  So, I have to choose wisely.

I absolutely love the huge, bright viewfinder on the D600.  Maybe it'd be worth getting the Rokinon 85mm 1.4 manual lens with AF confirmation chip?  When I was on Canon side, I almost bought one for $150 like new!!

Any recommendations for ultra-wide lens? 

Even though the D600 was so much better on paper for the most part than the 6D, the 6D's -3EV center dot focus point was at least a little tempting, plus it's slick wifi remote control with smartphone, better video (something I could not be without for 6 years--otherwise I would have gotten the D700).  But canon also dumbed the viewfinder down to the same size as my Rebel pretty much!! 

Sorry for the long first post. 

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #5,067 of 5,895
Current Nikon FF lenses are always going to be expensive. The fantastic performing bargain lenses by Nikon are primarily for DX. You should look into third party lenses like Sigma, Tamron and Tokina. You're likely to have a better bang for the buck ratio with those.

Jan 31, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #5,068 of 5,895
I'm a little late to the party... but the Markins is a great product.  I've been using one for years.  Awesome build and very functional.

It's pan axis is great for landscape work, I've never had an issue with it. 

Highly recommended, FWIW.

Quote:
I have a Manfretto tripod with mini gear head already, looking for a lighter weight one and I tried ball head with landscape it is not as bad as you said.

Jan 31, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #5,069 of 5,895
Quote:

Sorry for the long first post. 

On the wide side you should consider the 14-24mm f/2.8 AF-S NIKKOR G ED N.  It's an amazing, sharp lens.

If your set on using a prime for your portrait work I'd say it's either the 135 DC or for a little less the 105 DC is a really good lens too.  That is unless you can work with a 50 or consider a mid or tele zoom, of which there are some good choices.

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #5,070 of 5,895
Quote:
I'm a little late to the party... but the Markins is a great product.  I've been using one for years.  Awesome build and very functional.

It's pan axis is great for landscape work, I've never had an issue with it. 

Highly recommended, FWIW.

I hope so, got Markins head and RRS clamp incoming.  The new setup will be much lighter than my current one and just in time for vacation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back