The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Sep 24, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #4,966 of 5,895
I have a bunch of APS-C DSLR and some film SLRs from Nikon. Though frankly, recently I've been doing more selling and less buying of equipment, and also less taking pictures. There's jot enough time. I also switched from DSLR to compacts so I can have the camera with me more often.

This is what is making the Nikon 1 system so tempting for me. Small package with manual zoom lenses and at least OK quality (very good in case of the Nikon 1). However after almost a full year, they weren't able to ship anything useful for this system. Only now, a 'normal' lens was announced and that's too little too late. No wide angle lens for example. No reasonably upgraded body. So I ended up with a prosumer compact camera. As much as I love the idea of the Nikon 1 system - especially J1 is a total joy - I won't spend twice as much money on rather simple point and shoot rather than a nice wide angle compact. And I surely won't haul around an FX camera.

Anyone else feels the same?

Sep 24, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #4,967 of 5,895
I shoot some of my best photos on my iphone.

Sep 30, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #4,969 of 5,895
I bought a nex rather nikon's poor mirrorless attempt. They have aps-c sensor, focus peaking, can adapt plenty of legacy lenses, and tiltable lcd allows for waist level shooting. Total joy to use except for ergonomics sometimes, my dslr stays at home quite a lot now.

Quote:
I have a bunch of APS-C DSLR and some film SLRs from Nikon. Though frankly, recently I've been doing more selling and less buying of equipment, and also less taking pictures. There's jot enough time. I also switched from DSLR to compacts so I can have the camera with me more often.

This is what is making the Nikon 1 system so tempting for me. Small package with manual zoom lenses and at least OK quality (very good in case of the Nikon 1). However after almost a full year, they weren't able to ship anything useful for this system. Only now, a 'normal' lens was announced and that's too little too late. No wide angle lens for example. No reasonably upgraded body. So I ended up with a prosumer compact camera. As much as I love the idea of the Nikon 1 system - especially J1 is a total joy - I won't spend twice as much money on rather simple point and shoot rather than a nice wide angle compact. And I surely won't haul around an FX camera.

Anyone else feels the same?

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #4,970 of 5,895
Hey Guys! I'm looking to delve deeper into photography, but I don't know where to start. I've always used point and shoots, but my point and shoot recently broke, so I thought I would finally upgrade. What are some good resources for learning? Also, what gear should I try to start with? 

Oct 4, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #4,971 of 5,895
My advice would be to not overspend on the camera body. Get an entry level DX DSLR and spend your money on lenses. Lenses are what make the difference. Shoot for assembling a set of lenses that go from 18mm to 200mm and one fast 1.8 prime, either 30 or 50mm. Today, all of the major company camera lenses and bodies are of extremely high quality. Your big decision is probably whether you want to go with Canon or Nikon.

Check kenrockwell.com He has good advice for real people, as opposed to gear heads. Lots of great cameras to choose from right now,

Oct 4, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #4,972 of 5,895
Remember about one thing: OS - optical stabilization. Neither Canon nor Nikon have it built into the body. What that means, is that even though it is better to have it in the lens, not al lenses offer it. 

I chose Nikon a few years ago and am still happy with the choice of lenses that I get for it, but sometimes wonder how great it would be to have all lenses stabilized with an OS system in the body itself.

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #4,973 of 5,895
I think stabilization is in the body with Canon.

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #4,974 of 5,895
Quote:
I think stabilization is in the body with Canon.

Not on my 5D mk II... all lens based. Also, stop reading Ken Rockwell. He has no idea what he's talking about - his whole site is an affiliate links plug... accuracy of information is not his goal. Getting more traffic is.

Oct 4, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #4,976 of 5,895
Quote:

stop reading Ken Rockwell. He has no idea what he's talking about - his whole site is an affiliate links plug... accuracy of information is not his goal. Getting more traffic is.

This.  There's a video of him on his site where he says that telephoto shooters aren't good enough to use wide angle lenses and that sports shooters only use them because they don't know the athlete and can't go to his house to take a picture there.  What?!?  What about documenting the sporting event then?  The guy is absolutely nuts and says the stupidest stuff.

Oct 4, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #4,977 of 5,895
Best site on the internet I know of. He's a character, but I totally understand where he's coming from.

He makes gear heads mad though

Oct 4, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #4,978 of 5,895
Quote:
Best site on the internet I know of. He's a character, but I totally understand where he's coming from.
He makes gear heads mad though

If by gear heads you mean those who like objective information and prefer to not line someone's pockets just because he draws a crowd, then I suppose you have a point. 

He's sort of the "cable burn-in" guy of cameras, IMO. Full of woo and superstition, not facts. 

Oct 4, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #4,979 of 5,895
Naw. You probably don't read him mutch. I get a lot of great practical info from him. All of the other sites I follow are about focus charts and graphs, not what it's like to actually shoot with the equipment. I wish therewas someone like him for audio.

Oct 4, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #4,980 of 5,895
I think i'm gonna stick with nikon, unless canon is slightly more advantageous in terms of lens.

Do you guys think I should get a D3100 to start out? http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX30313 $469
or maybe a T3? http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX32323
D5100 is $559
I'm not too sure. I don't know all the technical stuff yet, but if somebody could explain differences, it'd be nice. The couple friends that I know that are into photo, all have T2i.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back