The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Sep 15, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #3,736 of 5,895
You mean like this video?
biggrin.gif
Perya (Town Fair) - a Canon 7D Short on Vimeo

Oddly I was thinking GF1 lately also. I would totally appreciate using the video.

Sep 15, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #3,737 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean like this video?
biggrin.gif
Perya (Town Fair) - a Canon 7D Short on Vimeo

Oddly I was thinking GF1 lately also. I would totally appreciate using the video.

Heheh, yeah, that would be the one. Also, there is a Vimeo vid at a trade show someone shooting 6400 ISO, and it's very smooth for such a high ISO. Low light capabilities is where the 7D absolutely kills with it's video capabilities.

Sadly, the GF1 borrows more from the G1 than the GH1. Mono built in mic sucks, and no mic input limits to simple Youtube HD vids.

Oh, well. There's only so much you can squeeze into such a small camera with a DSLR sensor. I'm glad I didn't early adopt the E-P1.

If I was already invested in Canon lens system rather than Nikon, I'd be all over the 7D and just find a way to carry it around all the time anyways.

-Ed

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #3,739 of 5,895
Meh. I can do that kind of video with D700x/s. (when they decide to come out, haha)

By the way, the 7D still can't AF when in movie mode right? Because I notice that the video consists of numerous small clips as if it can only shoot at fixed focus only.
I think if the next Nikon still cant AF, MF probably is handier for movie mode.

Sep 15, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #3,740 of 5,895
I only manual focus for recording movies anyway. Wouldn't have it any other way. It makes you pay attention more. Clips should be small anyhow for interest purposes.

I don't think DSLRs are meant to AF with movies all the time. The lenses are noisy, massive, and it would take too much power.

Unfortunately Nikon doesn't have many good IS lenses. It's necessary when shooting handheld video.

Sep 19, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #3,741 of 5,895
Well now that I have been playing with my Panasonic DMC-FX35 for many months I am thinking of getting a DSLR. I have narrowed my choices to the new D3000 the D5000 or the D90. Not sure I need video capability. What am I really loosing by going with the D3000. Flash Sync speed seems like one thing, again not too sure how important that is to me but my F4 was 1/250. What do you guys think?

Sep 19, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #3,742 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well now that I have been playing with my Panasonic DMC-FX35 for many months I am thinking of getting a DSLR. I have narrowed my choices to the new D3000 the D5000 or the D90. Not sure I need video capability. What am I really loosing by going with the D3000. Flash Sync speed seems like one thing, again not too sure how important that is to me but my F4 was 1/250. What do you guys think?

I probably wouldn't buy the D3000 if I were you. The D40 is basically comparable in every aspect except price, flash sync speed, and number of focusing points; the D40 having the advantage in two out of those three. With the money you save you can invest in a better lens, which is far more important to image quality than the camera body you attach it to...

Sep 19, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #3,743 of 5,895
how often do you guys shoot with strobes for flash sync to matter?

You should get a d40 + 35mm 1.8 and you will be golden. Small kit, fast glass, and super portable.

Sep 19, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #3,744 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how often do you guys shoot with strobes for flash sync to matter?

Every time I'm outside shooting models. But it's near irrelevant since all modern DSLRs are the same in that regard.

Sep 20, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #3,746 of 5,895
it's one year later, and cameras still don't have a 'passion' setting on them.
I'm disappointed.

Live view, video mode, d-lighting.............. where's my passion setting???
frown.gif

Sep 21, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #3,747 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should get a d40 + 35mm 1.8 and you will be golden. Small kit, fast glass, and super portable.

I do this. It totally kills. To me, this is the passion setting
wink_face.gif
: central focus point, aperture priority around f2.5, let the camera do the rest of the thinking, and I come home with brilliant shots of the party/vacation/younameit.
[size=xx-small]with film though, you need no stinking settings [/size]

Perhaps the M9 triggers Nikon and Canon to pay more attention to serious cameras that do not need to be able to do everything but are actually fun to shoot. I tried the D90 and found it dreadful... and I'm a recently graduated ICT pro, I should 'get' this stuff but instead I dread the idea of having to get that monster to behave as I want it to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back