The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Sep 23, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #3,751 of 5,895
when's the D700x coming out? Anyone else think it's going to slaughter the 5D?
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #3,752 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
love the bokeh in these pictures. is that the 50mm f/1.2?

Clearly a matter of taste since I dislike this bokeh.

Sep 23, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #3,753 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

is it the bokeh that you dislike, or is it the grain that seems to be showing up more in the bokeh?

Sep 23, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #3,754 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when's the D700x coming out? Anyone else think it's going to slaughter the 5D?
biggrin.gif

Most likely, since the D700 is superior already in most respects, save pixel count and video (am I missing anything?)

As far as when we might have it, your guess is as good as mine.

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #3,755 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
love the bokeh in these pictures. is that the 50mm f/1.2?

Yes. Speaking of which, I haven't really gotten around the time to do the review. Been playing Demon's Soul on my PS3.
tongue_smile.gif

The grain is actually from my camera's ISO1250, nothing to do with the bokeh at all.

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #3,756 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most likely, since the D700 is superior already in most respects, save pixel count and video (am I missing anything?)

As far as when we might have it, your guess is as good as mine.

yeah, I just got a 5D for a video project, which if you can get around the shorcomings of the auto level audio controls, the audio/video sync problems, and the very manual controls, it is really gorgeous.

But for photography, I'd take my D3 over the 5D any day. And since the D700 has most of those strenghts (save for 100% viewfinder and dual card slots) I'd say the same for the D700. I'm just not that impressed by Canon's tone and color in comparison. Not to mention high ISO.

I'm going to do some image tests at some point, and I'll post them here when I do! I did a ghetto iso6400 test and the D3 smoked the 5D, but it wasn't controlled enough...

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #3,757 of 5,895
You remind me of the only thing that makes me hesitate to switch camera. I really love Fuji colour and the only reason I might not get a new camera is because I worry that I might not like the colour of a new camera as much as I like the colour from S5.

When I switched from D80 to my Fuji, I thought the Fuji was faulty (the difference is that much). But after tweaking the setting, now I can't leave without the colour characteristics anymore.

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #3,758 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Care to elaborate a little more?

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #3,759 of 5,895
If I had to guess, I'd say Ian didn't like the little donut rings around the point of lights.
I think that's the only weakness of 50mm 1.2 (which is shared with all 50mms anyway, but not sure about Noct).
It can be pretty bad under certain condition.
However it can do pretty okay point of lights too, depending on the shooting condition and what I like is sometimes it produces cat's eye bokeh.

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #3,760 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You remind me of the only thing that makes me hesitate to switch camera. I really love Fuji colour and the only reason I might not get a new camera is because I worry that I might not like the colour of a new camera as much as I like the colour from S5.

When I switched from D80 to my Fuji, I thought the Fuji was faulty (the difference is that much). But after tweaking the setting, now I can't leave without the colour characteristics anymore.

I don't blame you. Coming from film, I was really tempted to get a Fuji digital camera. Seems like with 40+ years experience making film, they've got a bit more going for them. I'd love to see Fuji written on the front of my camera
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #3,762 of 5,895
Quote:

is it the bokeh that you dislike, or is it the grain that seems to be showing up more in the bokeh?

The bokeh is not smooth enough and has too strong of donut rings for my tastes.

Quote:

But for photography, I'd take my D3 over the 5D any day. And since the D700 has most of those strenghts (save for 100% viewfinder and dual card slots) I'd say the same for the D700. I'm just not that impressed by Canon's tone and color in comparison. Not to mention high ISO.

I'm going to do some image tests at some point, and I'll post them here when I do! I did a ghetto iso6400 test and the D3 smoked the 5D, but it wasn't controlled enough...

Once again a matter of taste for me. I got rid of my D700 for a 5D II and didn't look back. I would have D3 as my only camera but I rather have more cameras. D3 is better noise wise than D3x also no? I don't mind noise. I prefer more detail though. Even with noise reduction which I find necessary any for things like 6400, any 20+ MP camera has a lot of detail. For my processing, Nikon colors are off by default but I know how to adjust them and if you know how, it's nearly irrelevent. I still believe Nikon is a better auto camera and that includes getting the color/tone/contrast good out the gate. I have to massage my Canon files more.

6400 isn't native stop for 5D II. Try 5000 and it's multiples. Other stuff in between have much more noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back