The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Jan 7, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #646 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree. The 14-24 in my hands is so heavy that it's considerably more unstable than the 12-24 or 17-35. It's heavy enough that I wouldn't want it on a body around my neck all day long.

I'm used to carrying large weights so it's fine for me. I'm sure for most people, they don't carry heavier glass, flash, or grips.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's almost a kilo right?

That sounds about right.

I got me a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. It seems pretty solid so far.

Jan 7, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #647 of 5,895
I just won a good condition 50mm f/1.8 ai (long nose) off ebay. Am I correct in assuming that this is one of the better 50mm models? Also what would be a good used price for one of these in good condition? I won it for $75.

Jan 7, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #648 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by CLum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just won a good condition 50mm f/1.8 ai (long nose) off ebay. Am I correct in assuming that this is one of the better 50mm models? Also what would be a good used price for one of these in good condition? I won it for $75.

Actually there are many different versions of 50mm 1.8 Ai/Ai-s, so many I can't even bother to remember which one is the so called 'better' one.

I got the Ai-s version - not the earliest one, but I'm sure according the serial # mine is not the one that is reported to be the best, but heck, the picture is so darn sharp and contrasty, I can't ask for anything more.

So basically don't worry so much about different serial numbers and all that. As long as it's clean, free from fungus, and very important - the focusing ring still moves fluidly, that's it, you're set.

I paid mine for AUS$75 in pretty much mint condition with box and paper, but I think that was a steal. $75 is about right for a good copy that's still in great condition IMO. Have fun, it's a great lens!

Jan 7, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #650 of 5,895
It all depends on the condition of the lens itself. I'm a bit of collector, and I appreciate a nicely built lens. That's why I'm still using 50mm AI-s over the AF version even though the AF version it's dirt cheap. Because to me the Ai-S is very fun to use, and the smooth focusing beats the manual focusing even using the likes of 17-35mm AFS. The AF one is a bit too plasticky for me.

Basically just paying for the built, optical result, and the satisfaction of doing everything manually. Although at times it can be a pain in terms of metering (eg. fast moving clouds that keep changing the light).

If it's showing signs of usage, yes, 40-50 bucks is about right. But a near mint sample, I believe it will go more than that especially on eBay.

Jan 7, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #651 of 5,895
Quote:

I wouldn't have paid more than $40. 50 max. You can get used 50 f/1.8D AF lenses in the 80-90 range.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It all depends on the condition of the lens itself. I'm a bit of collector, and I appreciate a nicely built lens. That's why I'm still using 50mm AI-s over the AF version even though the AF version it's dirt cheap. Because to me the Ai-S is very fun to use, and the smooth focusing beats the manual focusing even using the likes of 17-35mm AFS. The AF one is a bit too plasticky for me.

Basically just paying for the built, optical result, and the satisfaction of doing everything manually. Although at times it can be a pain in terms of metering (eg. fast moving clouds that keep changing the light).

If it's showing signs of usage, yes, 40-50 bucks is about right. But a near mint sample, I believe it will go more than that especially on eBay.

I have a d40 so its manual on any non-afs lens anyways. I figured if I was going to go manual I might as well get some metal instead of plastic. The seller has good feedback and he said it was mint so I'm not feeling too bad about paying a little extra. Thanks for the help.

Jan 7, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #652 of 5,895
If it's mint then I think it's pretty reasonable. It's hard to find a mint or near mint condition of a 50mm Ai considering how old the lens is (and how they were always used as workhorse lenses for SLR users back in the days). My brother now is in possession of my late dad's 50mm 1.4 Ai. The lens has been serviced before, and the current condition is - many tiny scratches on lens, full of tiny dust particles inside, and you know what, properly used, I think the picture quality is better than his 17-35mm AF-S.

The good thing about the current gen 'plastic' 50mm is, at least with your D40 it will save you from manually metering it (which can be annoying at times). But if you said you are fine with it, then it's all good then.

You know if you don't mind full manual, you can go as old as pre-ai lenses from Nikon, the used price is even cheaper compared to Ai lenses.

Jan 7, 2008 at 8:53 AM Post #653 of 5,895
I bought one of the older 50/1.8 AI-lenses myself just recently. Yes, the "long nose" older version (and the AI-s version after that), is said to be the optically best one out of all the 50/1.8 Nikkors - after that, the design started to veer more towards cutting costs than enhancing optical performance. It should trump the new, pancake versions and the AFs if compared closely.

I'd say $75 is a good deal for a mint condition one. I paid more or less the same for mine and they seem to go for that amount (or more) all the time on eBay, at least in Europe.

Jan 7, 2008 at 9:27 AM Post #654 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by fabool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought one of the older 50/1.8 AI-lenses myself just recently. Yes, the "long nose" older version (and the AI-s version after that), is said to be the optically best one out of all the 50/1.8 Nikkors - after that, the design started to veer more towards cutting costs than enhancing optical performance. It should trump the new, pancake versions and the AFs if compared closely.

I'd say $75 is a good deal for a mint condition one. I paid more or less the same for mine and they seem to go for that amount (or more) all the time on eBay, at least in Europe.

Thanks for the info. I tried to do the research myself but I got confused with all the versions. All I knew is to not get the E-series 50mm. Can't wait to get mine and start snappin away.

Jan 7, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #655 of 5,895
If you want to do some reading on the 50mm Nikkors here's a few pages with good info:

Bjørn Rørslett's take on various normal range lenses (check out his opinions on other lenses too, and his best of-list). I value his opinion a lot more than say, Ken Rockwells.
Nikonlinks has some great links. Especially the Rolan Vink-lists where you'll find all the specs and serial numbers you need to identify your Nikkors.
Thousand and one night-article on the Nikkor 50/2 contains some info about the 50/1.8 as well. Some say the 50/2 is even sharper than the 50/1.8 and the pinnacle of 50mm Nikkors, although it isn't as well corrected and is a fraction slower than the 1.8. Great lens either way, there's also articles on other Nikkors which are a must read.

Jan 7, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #656 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by CLum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a d40 so its manual on any non-afs lens anyways. I figured if I was going to go manual I might as well get some metal instead of plastic. The seller has good feedback and he said it was mint so I'm not feeling too bad about paying a little extra. Thanks for the help.

The AF version would meter fine on the D40, though, which is more than worth it to me. Manual Focus isn't that bad. Manual metering is a pain.

Jan 8, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #657 of 5,895
Quote:

The AF version would meter fine on the D40, though, which is more than worth it to me. Manual Focus isn't that bad. Manual metering is a pain.

I'm just starting this photography thing so the the thought of full manual still seems like a lot of fun. It probably will become a pain after awhile but it should speed up the learning process.

Jan 8, 2008 at 10:46 AM Post #659 of 5,895
It feels good to be back on the internet. The storm in the bay area last week only took out the power for a day, but my internet has been gone for nearly four days now. It was tough relying on my cell phone and using the PCs at work(and I was off the last two days!). Sorry for the rant, to my post:

Just picked up a 50mm f1.8 today(err yesterday?) for $75 off craigslist. I picked up one of those rubber lens hoods for it, and I'm debating whether or not to get a filter for it(I get them for about $8 at work).You people weren't kidding about it. I'm in love with this lens, and probably won't be using anything else for a good while. I only which I could afford the sellers 20mm f1.8(he was asking $180) or maybe find a fast 35mm to carry around with this for group shots. I'm just gonna tell myself to use my 18-135mm and SB-800 for those cases, so I can put that money towards a decent telephoto.

Here's some pics I took with with it today:

streetsign.jpg

A sign I saw when driving by the seller's house. Reminded me of V for Vendetta.

toystore.jpg

Hobby store at Japan Town. Wanted to test out how well it was in low light. My hand was shaky. I also was able to take well lit shots of the tower outside, but my hands shakier in the cold than inside.
caleb50mm.jpg

Testing it out on my brother with only inside light.

yuffieflash.jpg

yuffienoflash.jpg

I took home a can of FFVII potion from one of the hobby shops where I picked up the lens, and grabbed "Japanese Underground" at Super 7. Really cool book if you're into japanese street culture, especially if you like vinyl/figures. As for the pictures, the first shot is w/flash at f22, second is with my desk lamp at f1.8.

Jan 8, 2008 at 10:48 AM Post #660 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by fabool /img/forum/go_quote.gif

the pancake version is supposed to be as good (if not better) optically than the ai version

Users who are viewing this thread

Back