The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Jan 16, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #677 of 5,895
That's strange. Can you upload an example photo for us?

Jan 16, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #678 of 5,895
What portion of the image did you meter for? Did you use spot metering, or allow the camera to average out the image as a whole with matrix metering?

IIRC a camera assumes an 18% grey for metering. So, if you overexposed the grey of the jacket due to the presence bright whites in the shot the jacket might appear purple.

Purple fringing, which can happen in high contrast shots, could also explain the phenomenon.

Try shooting the same scene, but this time using a bounce flash off the ceiling. See if this changes the appearance of your black jacket. Or, meter the shot using spot metering at various point in the composed shot to see if the purple shift still occurs.

Jan 16, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #679 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To my knowledge, Nikon DSLR's post D70/D50 are all but impervious to UV, so I doubt that's the issue (you shoot a D80, right?)

D50 actually.

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #680 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's strange. Can you upload an example photo for us?

Sure:

Here is the grey jacket and my blue shirt:

All the colors, execpt my shirt and jacket are spot on.

Here is the camera strap:

This strap, in real life, is pure black even in this lighting. All the other colors are spot on.

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #681 of 5,895
Actually now that I look at it, the camera strap picture was taken with my 35mm lens that had a UV filter on it...... hm........

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #682 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What portion of the image did you meter for? Did you use spot metering, or allow the camera to average out the image as a whole with matrix metering?

IIRC a camera assumes an 18% grey for metering. So, if you overexposed the grey of the jacket due to the presence bright whites in the shot the jacket might appear purple.

Purple fringing, which can happen in high contrast shots, could also explain the phenomenon.

Try shooting the same scene, but this time using a bounce flash off the ceiling. See if this changes the appearance of your black jacket. Or, meter the shot using spot metering at various point in the composed shot to see if the purple shift still occurs.

The camera was set for Matrix Metering both times. I'm happy with the lightness of both the pictures.

Hm, that would be funny if purple fringing explained these results! I wonder...

Jan 16, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #683 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure:

Here is the grey jacket and my blue shirt:

All the colors, execpt my shirt and jacket are spot on.

Here is the camera strap:

This strap, in real life, is pure black even in this lighting. All the other colors are spot on.

I've seen many fabrics that looked ever so slightly purple under certain lighting conditions, so maybe the strap is actually purple, and the camera exposed to show that?

Jan 16, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #684 of 5,895
Picked up some new goodies this morning:

85mmwith28mm.jpg

Nikkor 85mm f2 (AIS?)

28mmwith500mm.jpg

Nikkor 28mm f2.8(AIS?)

50mmwith28mm.jpg

Shot of my beloved 50mm f1.8 taken with the new 28mm.

Last night, I saw a listing on craigslist asking for offers. But all he had was this picture, and no description of what it included:

CIMG1767.jpg

I checked my mail this morning and got a reply. 28mm, 85mm, and a 80-200mm. I recognize the last name of the seller, and low and behold it belongs my younger brother's friend's older brother(lol). My brother gives him a call and I offer him $100 for everything. I tried forty to sixty for the nikkor lenses, but he wanted to sell everything as one.

Everything I came home with:
oldnikon.jpg

The 28mm is really something else. I only wish it had metering. Everything people say about this lens online is true. I'm gonna do more research and see if someone can convert this, because it would be such a waste. I'll play around with the 85mm later on to see how I like it.

There was one problem though. There's a tiny bit of fungus in the 28mm which luckily isn't showing up in my images, and a noticeable amount in the 85mm that does show up. Anyone know a place in the bay area that can clean or get rid of that?

Jan 16, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #685 of 5,895
Quote:

The camera was set for Matrix Metering both times. I'm happy with the lightness of both the pictures.

Hm, that would be funny if purple fringing explained these results! I wonder...

I don't think it's a lens or metering problem. Though if you're taking a photo indoors, with a filter on....that might give you a slight color difference. Looks like a slight color imbalance only: exposure looks good to me. How exactly are you calibrating WB? Make sure you expose the WB card at the same distance and spot as what you want to shoot.....and if worst comes to worst, shoot in RAW and try tweaking the curves in PS
biggrin.gif
I do find that if WB is off, some colors might look spot on, but it's just certain ranges that get clipped (and you wind up with too much purple or blue in certain areas).

Jan 16, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #686 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think it's a lens or metering problem. Though if you're taking a photo indoors, with a filter on....that might give you a slight color difference. Looks like a slight color imbalance only: exposure looks good to me. How exactly are you calibrating WB? Make sure you expose the WB card at the same distance and spot as what you want to shoot.....and if worst comes to worst, shoot in RAW and try tweaking the curves in PS
biggrin.gif
I do find that if WB is off, some colors might look spot on, but it's just certain ranges that get clipped (and you wind up with too much purple or blue in certain areas).

Yea, that might be it. With my D50, I set the custom WB by photographing a white card in the light.
Sadly, I can't use RAW because I use Photoshop CS1 (no raw support for my camera).
I'll certainly have to fool around with this some more and see what I come up with.

Thanks.

Jan 16, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #687 of 5,895
Quote:

Yea, that might be it. With my D50, I set the custom WB by photographing a white card in the light.
Sadly, I can't use RAW because I use Photoshop CS1 (no raw support for my camera).
I'll certainly have to fool around with this some more and see what I come up with.

Did your camera come with any software for opening RAWs? If so, it might let you save as 16bit tiff...which you would be able to open in CS1 (as memory serves, I think CS1 does at least read 16bit).

Yeah, setting WB isn't so easy.....I do find that changing the distance, even slightly, changes WB. One time I thought I was keeping the same shot and everything after shooting for a custom WB. But then when I took the photo, it came out a deep purple! Trying again fixed it. Usually I just manually enter in a WB mode and then adjust in PP. Photographers who are sticklers for color and exposure do a fair about of PP afterwards anyway.

Jan 16, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #688 of 5,895
Nineohtoo:

Your younger brother's older brother.... ?? Isn't that yourself?

Fungus you have to deal with it ASAP or it might get worse. Best way is just take it to your local repairer and get it cleaned and fixed properly. You might have to pay more than what you paid the lenses for, but for the 28mm, I think it's worth it.

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #690 of 5,895
I never experienced fungus before, but from what I read it's really have to be dealt with ASAP. I'm not sure whether it will still grow after you store the lens properly or not, but if I were you, I wouldn't want any fungus on my lenses at all. Dust in the lens, I got no problem, but not fungus.

From your posted picture, that 28mm still takes very beautiful picture. It would be a shame if that lens was ruined by growing fungus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back