The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
May 29, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #4,532 of 5,895

Quote:
My sister just got a D7000 for her trip to Africa and I was helping her get to know it beforehand.  It's an amazing camera!  Anyone considering it should just pull the trigger.  I was amazed how many features they put into that little prosumer body.  I always thought they would save dual card slots for the pro cameras. 

I have been thinking about upgrading my D90 to D7000, but I have problems fiding the time to do research and am a bit of a scrooge :wink:

May 31, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #4,533 of 5,895

Quote:
Would you recommend a make/type etc thats not too expensive? Thanks. 

I like the Nikon lenses.  They work good with Nikon cameras.

May 31, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #4,534 of 5,895

Quote:
I have been thinking about upgrading my D90 to D7000, but I have problems fiding the time to do research and am a bit of a scrooge :wink:

That sounds more like a side-grade than an upgrade.  The D90 was such a great camera.  I can't see anyone needing much more than it can deliver unless you are a serious pro.

May 31, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #4,535 of 5,895
A couple of weeks ago I did my typical yearly undergraduate commencement job, and this year I decided to bring along my Nikon Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G on my second rig.  Not the expensive VR mind you, but the cheap old 150$ lens.

I can not say enough good things about the photos I get off this lens.   It seems every time I use this lens I want to recommend it to people.  If you have a need for the 70-300mm range and are on a budget, you OWE it to yourself to pickup this lens.  I'm going to post up a few photos from it shortly.

The images it produces have a certain softness to the bokeh that is just dreamy.  I love it!  Color is fantastic as well.

May 31, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #4,536 of 5,895

Quote:
That sounds more like a side-grade than an upgrade.  The D90 was such a great camera.  I can't see anyone needing much more than it can deliver unless you are a serious pro.

I agree in the sense that the D90 is going to be more than what most people are able to take advantage of, and most of the features and capability of the D7000 will not be used.  But I used the D90 for a day, and was really not happy with it's usability or the images it made.  The D7000 on the other hand seemed like a great camera to me even coming from the D3.  It's got probably the best auto mode of any camera I've ever used, I was amazed at the exposures it made on it's own.  And high iso is surprisingly good considering it has more megapixels and it's a smaller sensor than my D3.  That's just a few things.  It's really a pro camera in a small, cheap package.  At least that is my impression based on limited use of each camera. 

May 31, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #4,537 of 5,895

Quote:
But I used the D90 for a day, and was really not happy with it's usability or the images it made. 

Hm.
I'm always shocked when I hear things like this. 

My main camera is an old D50 (6mp, 1600 ISO max with grain, small viewfinder).  When the D90 came out I said to myself "boy, no one would every need more camera that this.... unless if they actually do photography as a job."  It fixed every qualm I had with my little D50.  I could live with a D90 and be the happiest photographer in the world.

Truth be told, I almost never say to myself  "gee, the D50 is holding me back".  What I usually wind up saying is "Dam, I wish I had more expensive lenses".
And that's the truth.  ^_^

Funny how that works.

Jun 1, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #4,538 of 5,895

Quote:

Quote:

It would indeed be more of a side-grade than an upgrade, but all things considered D7000 seems to be a much better camera than D90. It is, at the same time, much more expensive and that puts me off as I am just an enthusiast who takes photos from time to time (spending 9months a year in the field where I am not even allowed oto take my camera out does not help this hobby at all). 

Hence at this point I am more thinking about getting a tele lens to complement my Tamron 17-50 than upgrading the camera. Upgraditis is a disease I suffer a lot though, in all departments of my gaget life.

Jun 9, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #4,539 of 5,895
I guess we have different perspectives. The D3 is the only digital camera I've ever used heavily, I went to it from medium format film.  Going to the D90 from the D3 felt like a fairly huge downgrade and annoyance.  Going from the D3 to the D7000, I didn't feel like I was missing much except for that last bit of image quality and high ISO performance.  The handling and usability was almost as good, which is pretty impressive. 

I agree that the D90 is plenty for probably everyone looking for that kind of camera, but I did think that the D7000 had better usability (screen on top, not just the LCD on the back), better auto modes, better auto focus, better high iso, moar megapixels, dual card slots, more custom functions and features.  I think even just left in auto mode, the D7000 will make much better pictures than the D90.  Whether they need that improvement or not for what they use if for, I'm not sure.

Jun 10, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #4,540 of 5,895

Quote:
I guess we have different perspectives. The D3 is the only digital camera I've ever used heavily, I went to it from medium format film.  Going to the D90 from the D3 felt like a fairly huge downgrade and annoyance.  Going from the D3 to the D7000, I didn't feel like I was missing much except for that last bit of image quality and high ISO performance.  The handling and usability was almost as good, which is pretty impressive. 

I agree that the D90 is plenty for probably everyone looking for that kind of camera, but I did think that the D7000 had better usability (screen on top, not just the LCD on the back), better auto modes, better auto focus, better high iso, moar megapixels, dual card slots, more custom functions and features.  I think even just left in auto mode, the D7000 will make much better pictures than the D90.  Whether they need that improvement or not for what they use if for, I'm not sure.

D7000 is definitely a better camera than D90.

As for the scren on top = D90 has that too, I do not know how you missed that.

Jun 15, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #4,541 of 5,895

Quote:

As for the scren on top = D90 has that too, I do not know how you missed that.

I was going to respond with this very thing.  Now I'm wondering, were you talking about the D60 perhaps?

Jun 15, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #4,543 of 5,895
If you mean a normal prime, the Nikon 35 1.8 is the one to get. A 50mm will be a short tele on DX.

What's wrongwih the 18-55?

Jun 16, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #4,545 of 5,895
Anything you buy to replace it will cost at least twice as much as you paid for it. The 18-55 is a remarkably sharp lens. It might be easier to suggest a replacement if you could articulate what you're looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back