The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Jan 12, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #4,516 of 5,895
Jan 14, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #4,518 of 5,895
i just got myself a d90 less than a month back but recently had a minor accident with the camera. it was slung behind me as i was picking something up from the floor but as i stood up the lens knocked quite hard against the bottom of a table. any chance that the lens/camera is damaged? are there any diagnostic tests that i can run?

Jan 14, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #4,519 of 5,895

Quote:
i just got myself a d90 less than a month back but recently had a minor accident with the camera. it was slung behind me as i was picking something up from the floor but as i stood up the lens knocked quite hard against the bottom of a table. any chance that the lens/camera is damaged? are there any diagnostic tests that i can run?

Look for physical damage.  If no noticeable physical damage, just keep on using it.  If you notice no problems, then you lucked out.

Jan 14, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #4,520 of 5,895

Quote:
Quote:

Look for physical damage.  If no noticeable physical damage, just keep on using it.  If you notice no problems, then you lucked out.

okay everything seems fine on the surface i guess. im just worried that it may've affected the autofocus or something because there are certain times it just won't focus but that may be due to other factors

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #4,521 of 5,895

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

okay everything seems fine on the surface i guess. im just worried that it may've affected the autofocus or something because there are certain times it just won't focus but that may be due to other factors

Keep trying it and make sure you are using your auto focus on things with very well defined shape and texture.  Still, even if the object is not well defined the auto focus should take, at most a second, and then 'hunt' for focus (by zooming all the way out and then in).  If the auto focus does nothing, then you may have broke it.
My hunch though is that even if it was a good wack, if the lens glass is not broke and the outside plastic is not broke, everything should still be fine.  Even nikons cheapest plastic lenses are fairly resistant to breaking from bangs.  (3ft drops, not so much).

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #4,522 of 5,895

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Keep trying it and make sure you are using your auto focus on things with very well defined shape and texture.  Still, even if the object is not well defined the auto focus should take, at most a second, and then 'hunt' for focus (by zooming all the way out and then in).  If the auto focus does nothing, then you may have broke it.
My hunch though is that even if it was a good wack, if the lens glass is not broke and the outside plastic is not broke, everything should still be fine.  Even nikons cheapest plastic lenses are fairly resistant to breaking from bangs.  (3ft drops, not so much).

great, thanks for the advice.

Jan 15, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #4,523 of 5,895
Hey, anybody else using an SB-400?  My 600 died unexpectedly a few months before xmas and I decided to go with it's little brother since my main use was for bounce and the odd time I need a bit more power. 
I am very impressed with it, does a great job and it is so small I can pretty much leave it on my D70 all the time.  A buddy of mine that is professional photographer, and originally sold me on the SB-600 a couple years back, came over and was so impressed with it he went out and got one for himself. 

Jan 18, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #4,525 of 5,895

Quote:
Hey, anybody else using an SB-400?  My 600 died unexpectedly a few months before xmas and I decided to go with it's little brother since my main use was for bounce and the odd time I need a bit more power. 
I am very impressed with it, does a great job and it is so small I can pretty much leave it on my D70 all the time.  A buddy of mine that is professional photographer, and originally sold me on the SB-600 a couple years back, came over and was so impressed with it he went out and got one for himself. 

I have one.
I wish it could rotate 90º so that I can bounce flash in portrait orientation.
Other than that, nice little flash.

Apr 30, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #4,527 of 5,895
My Current Gear Gear: Nikon D7000 + MB-D11 Grip, Nikon SB-700 Speed Light, AF-S Nikkor 18-200mm 3.5-5.6f VRII, AF-S Nikkor 35mm 1.8f, AF Fisheye Nikkor 10.5mm 2.8f

Case: LowePro Outback 200, and a LowePro Backpack

Portfolio: http://revsum.com 

It's nice having a event photography contract to pay for all my hi-fi equipment. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I love all my gear so much, I have little to no complaints. The 18-200 VRII is a godsend.  I'm almost as big as a Nikon fanboy as I am for Audio Technica's!

May 29, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #4,528 of 5,895
My first post in this thread. I have a D3100, along with the 18-55mm and 50-200mm lens. I'm looking to add a wide angle lens to the mix to shoot akin to some of the awesome wide angle shots I've seen online. Mind you, I'm a novice and so may not be able to grasp all the technical stuff. Would you recommend a make/type etc thats not too expensive? Thanks. 

May 29, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #4,529 of 5,895
The best is probably the Tokina 11-16 2.8, but all of the third party ultrawides are good.

May 29, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #4,530 of 5,895
My sister just got a D7000 for her trip to Africa and I was helping her get to know it beforehand.  It's an amazing camera!  Anyone considering it should just pull the trigger.  I was amazed how many features they put into that little prosumer body.  I always thought they would save dual card slots for the pro cameras. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back