The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Aug 12, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #1,756 of 5,895
Focus isn't a problem with fisheyes. They have a tremendous depth of field. A lot of them are fixed focus anyway. Resale value isn't a problem either. Nikon fisheyes usually sell for almost as much used as new.

The problem with a fisheye is the distortion... The reason pros use fisheyes is mostly to get a 180 degree view for processing into a Quicktime VR panorama. They can be used for "arty" shots like you say, but the distortion is a pretty specific effect. The novelty wears off soon.

I considered getting a fisheye myself, but instead, I decided to get the Tokina 11-16 2.8. It has a tremendous field of view, but with extremely straight lines. It's much more versatile than a true fisheye and it's razor sharp.

Ken Rockwell just posted a great article on how to shoot with ultra wides. Great tips on how to get the most out of them. Check it out. How to Use Ultra-Wide Lenses

See ya
Steve

Aug 12, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #1,757 of 5,895
lenses tend to have high resale values, so i wouldn't worry about it.
focusing isn't a problem, so long as there is plenty of light you can use a small aperture and simply zone focus.

concerning extension tubes: they won't work with the kit lens (18-55) or any other G mount lens for the lack of an aperture ring.

Aug 12, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #1,758 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poohblah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
concerning extension tubes: they won't work with the kit lens (18-55) or any other G mount lens for the lack of an aperture ring.

Glad you pointed that out. Thanks poohblah.

Aug 12, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #1,760 of 5,895
Ken Rockwell is a lightning rod for anger from armchair shutterbugs who would rather shoot test charts than real subjects. People who actually shoot pictures can get lots of great info from his site. The article I linked to has some great examples of better ways to compose shots using an ultra wide. If you plan on shooting pictures with one, you might want to read it.

He has a good article on the Nikon 10.5mm fisheye and using a sunex circular fisheye to create QT VR panoramas too.

See ya
Steve

Aug 12, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #1,761 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ken Rockwell is a lightning rod for anger from armchair shutterbugs who would rather shoot test charts than real subjects. People who actually shoot pictures can get lots of great info from his site. The article I linked to has some great examples of better ways to compose shots using an ultra wide. If you plan on shooting pictures with one, you might want to read it.

are you kidding me? he's the one who shoots brick walls to test his lenses.

Aug 12, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #1,763 of 5,895
Quote:

Ken Rockwell, my foot. i've never seen a less reliable source of accurate information.

I have. President Bush.

Aug 12, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #1,764 of 5,895
interesting link. whatever.

my point is that you can't rely on his website for information because it's next to impossible to tell when he's joking or not - he admits himself that he is sarcastic or joking quite often in his articles. there is one other reason i don't like his website, and that is because he insists "you don't need a tripod if you shoot digital" and that wide aperture lenses aren't useful anymore. are you serious? my tripod and 50mm f/1.4 are the best things that ever happened to my photography bag.

might be a good source of information for the soccer mom photographer, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have. President Bush.

good point.

Aug 12, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #1,765 of 5,895
He has a point. Tripods and fast glass were absolutely essential when shooting film since (A) you couldn't change your ISO at will and (B) anything much above ISO 200 (400 maybe) became grainy and crap. My simple D50 produces very usable results at ISO800, and Nikon's most recent offerings (D300, D700, D3) all have ISO3200 as good as my D50's ISO800. Add in the increasing prevealence of VR and for anything but fast-moving shots, tripods and fast glass become a luxury that 99% of people don't absolutely need.

Aug 12, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #1,766 of 5,895
that's true, yes. but he needn't say that tripods and fast lenses no longer have a place, because that's what he actually says - "throw away your tripod" and "tripods are relics."

that's, i suppose, what i actually don't like about him - he does have good points in some of his articles, but then he goes on to insist that the way he goes about things applies to everyone. he comes off as very arrogant.

Aug 12, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #1,767 of 5,895
Aug 13, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #1,768 of 5,895
Quote:

that's true, yes. but he needn't say that tripods and fast lenses no longer have a place, because that's what he actually says - "throw away your tripod" and "tripods are relics."

that's, i suppose, what i actually don't like about him - he does have good points in some of his articles, but then he goes on to insist that the way he goes about things applies to everyone. he comes off as very arrogant.

That's not the message I pull away from his articles.
I wish there were more people who are as down to earth.

Aug 13, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #1,769 of 5,895
Ken Rockwell has many, many, many good points...and he kids around, a lot. You have to read his stuff carefully, to see if he is being serious or not. He writes stupid crap sometimes, but he can write a lot of good stuff, too.

He's like the people here who don't obsess and try to be logical about their equipment (like bigshot or monolith).

Aug 13, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #1,770 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish there were more people who are as down to earth.

i could not disagree more. but i'm not going to argue over your opinion, since it is, after all, your opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back