The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Aug 12, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #1,741 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If static object, get a used macro Ai/Ais lenses, it's really affordable and they are very well made. But the thing is with D40 I am not sure if you can easily manual focus with that small viewfinder. So maybe newer AF lenses suit you better.

If moving objects (not much time to focus around), most lenses even third party ones they generally perform really well. Get Tamron or Sigma if you don't want to pay premium. They are still great if you can get over the "third party" notion.

Should I trust eBay or do you know a good place to pickup a nice used lens?

Aug 12, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #1,742 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashnolan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone recommend a nice macro lens for my D40? What kind of a price range am I looking at? I want to be able to take some close focal shots of spiders, etc.

I would recommended the Nikkor 60mm Micro AF-S, which will work on your D40 perfectly. It's nice and cheap at about 480$. The only reservation, is that it's a 60mm, which means you need to get pretty close. Some spiders are really small! Because of this you may want a longer focal length.

If you can splurge, I would look into the Nikkor Micro 105mm AF-S.

If you're feeling gutsy, you could try a third party lens such as the:
Tokina 100mm Macro,
Sigma 105mm Macro,
Sigma 150mm Macro,
Tamron 180mm Macro.

You'll have to double check that they will Auto Focus on your D40 though (which some may not).

Aug 12, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #1,743 of 5,895
Quote:

Should I trust eBay or do you know a good place to pickup a nice used lens?

I personally would never trust E-bay. I would only use E-bay for a gamble.
You could be buying something from someone who doesn't even know what mold inside the lens looks like.

Check with your local mom and pop camera shops. Some of them may sell used gear. Some may even specialize in used gear.

You could also look at other forums specializing in photography, such as nikonians.com
Buying from a user there may be a bit safer than someone on e-bay.

Aug 12, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #1,744 of 5,895
Quote:

Can anyone recommend a nice macro lens for my D40? What kind of a price range am I looking at? I want to be able to take some close focal shots of spiders, etc.

I'm afraid it isn't going to be cheap. I think the only lenses that will autofocus on the d40 are the Sigma 150mm 2.8 HSM and the Nikon AF-S 105mm 2.8 VR.

See ya
Steve

Aug 12, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #1,745 of 5,895
What is wrong with manual lenses? I don't mind focusing with my hand on the lens. Yes, auto focus is nice, but when one myself for example am taking a picture of something up close it is a shot I have time to develop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm afraid it isn't going to be cheap. I think the only lenses that will autofocus on the d40 are the Sigma 150mm 2.8 HSM and the Nikon AF-S 105mm 2.8 VR.

See ya
Steve

Aug 12, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #1,746 of 5,895
Quote:

What is wrong with manual lenses? I don't mind focusing with my hand on the lens. Yes, auto focus is nice, but when one myself for example am taking a picture of something up close it is a shot I have time to develop.

Only thing is that the D40 has a small viewfinder, so it will be hard to get pinpoint focus sometimes. Other than that though, I agree, using manual focus on macro is very helpful.
I'd still look at the Nikon 105mm Micro AF-S VR.
If you need macro on a budget and can live with 60mm, check out the 60mm Micro AF-S for 480$, or the AF-D for 400$.
Can't go wrong with either.

Aug 12, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #1,747 of 5,895
Quote:

Lenses of this focal length are more than just macro lenses. They're also short teles, good for portrait or tabletop shooting. For me, I would want auto focus. If manual focus is OK for you, there are a dozen or more different choices out there. The Tokina that I use has a clutch where you can make it fully manual if you want. That might be a good choice.

See ya
Steve

Aug 12, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #1,748 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only thing is that the D40 has a small viewfinder, so it will be hard to get pinpoint focus sometimes. Other than that though, I agree, using manual focus on macro is very helpful.
I'd still look at the Nikon 105mm Micro AF-S VR.
If you need macro on a budget and can live with 60mm, check out the 60mm Micro AF-S for 480$, or the AF-D for 400$.
Can't go wrong with either.

Thanks for the advice! I am sure that is a great lens.

Can you recommend one for me in the say $100ish range, or is there no such thing as a good lens at that price? I can't justify spending $480 on a lens considering that is what I paid for my D40 + 2 lens' to begin with.

Aug 12, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #1,749 of 5,895
since were talking about manual lenses. a great place to get used lenses, especially AI mount, is KEH.com. i've bought stuff from them before, and even BGN condition items are great quality. also, i suggest getting a split screen focusing screen from katzeyeoptics.com for much easier manual focusing with your DLSR
smily_headphones1.gif

i have an old nikon F2 that i got from that site, i love it

the only issue with the aforementioned 60mm f/2.8 AF-D is that it won't autofocus with the D40

Quote:

Can you recommend one for me in the say $100ish range, or is there no such thing as a good lens at that price? I can't justify spending $480 on a lens considering that is what I paid for my D40 + 2 lens' to begin with.

the easiest way to get macro for $100 is a 50mm f/1.8 and a reversing ring - http://www.adorama.com/NKBR2A.html
of course this means you can only focus by moving the camera, but you'll add a nifty fifty to your camera bag

other options include some macro add-on lenses, these work great on a budget

Aug 12, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #1,750 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would recommended the Nikkor 60mm Micro AF-S, which will work on your D40 perfectly. It's nice and cheap at about 480$. The only reservation, is that it's a 60mm, which means you need to get pretty close. Some spiders are really small! Because of this you may want a longer

Getting close is the whole point of micro lenses. At a 1.5x crop, that 60mm lens is a 90mm lens (film) which is pretty powerful for macro photography.

Aug 12, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #1,751 of 5,895
Actually, 60mm for macro isn't much at all. For reference, with the 60mm macro, at closest focus the front of the lens is about 2" from the subject. Not much working room at all, and will scare away anything living. A 105mm or 150mm macro will give you the ability to work from considerably farther back, which is invaluable.

Aug 12, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #1,752 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by mightyacorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Getting close is the whole point of micro lenses. At a 1.5x crop, that 60mm lens is a 90mm lens (film) which is pretty powerful for macro photography.

Right, it's not bad, but for me it's not ideal for some situations.
And of course extension tubes can be used.

Aug 12, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #1,753 of 5,895
Quote:

Sadly, almost no DSLR lenses are 100$ new, much less 300$. Almost any lens will be more expensive than the D40.

Having said that though, the 18-55mm Nikon kit lens does very good for close up photography, though it is not a true macro lens. With it you get near macro functionality. For 100$, that's the best you can hope for from a new lens. Starting off with the kit 18-55mm lens, you can then fool around with things like front lens diopters or extension tubes.
Examples:
B+W | 52mm Close-up NL +4 Glass Lens | 65015357 | B&H Photo Video
Kenko | Auto Extension Tube Set DG for Nikon Lens | AEXTUBEDGN

Which will take a basic 55mm and push it to the macro end of things.

That'll be a much more 'tidy' way of doing macro on a budget without the need for reversing lenses.

Aug 12, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #1,754 of 5,895
Aug 12, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #1,755 of 5,895
Does anyone have any hands on experience with the 10.5mm fish eye? Id really like to experiment with it, not just for landscapes but for 'arty' closer up shots with really bent lines etc. The only problem i can see is i would have to manually focus it all the time as i have a D40x.

Not sure whether it would be a wise purchase, considering the re-sale value might be a big loss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back