THe Next step up from my HD 555's?
Nov 17, 2006 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

SayNoToPistons

500+ Head-Fier
I've decided to step it up a bit have have something better and little less laid back (not that i dont like the HD555 but i want something different). I might get a REAL amp too while im at it. Can someone recommend a combo with amp and headphone? Im not looking to dump a lot of money(no more than 500 for both the amp and headphone), i just want the next level up from the HD555
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #2 of 21
If you want to stick with Sennheiser, then I'd go with HD650 + Headfive combo, should be just about $500 and sound excellent. If you want to save a little money you could go with the HD600 or HD580 instead, as they all sound fairly similar.

Nov 17, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 21
I was thinking of trying another brand. I would like something more forward... something that puts me on the stage when i listen instead of being the audience, will the Senn's do that for me? I am not exactly looking for a set up that puts me right below my budget. i still have other expensive hobbies and things to take care of :p . So if theres some combo thats under 400 that will start me off and the SQ will be noticeably better then that would be great too. Thanks.

Nov 17, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 21
The 595s will put you more forward. I haven't heard the 555s, but I have the 595s and 600s. The 595s are much better for general rock then the 600s IMHO. I also hear that they're night and day different then the 555.

It really depends on what you're looking for in a headphone......I'm trying Grado for the first time. It's not nearly as bright or intense as I was lead to believe. It's the SR60, so I imagine cans like the SR225 would be different. The 595s definitely have the begining Grados beat for rock. Higher end Beyers are more like the 595......so it seems your options are either the 595 or Grado.

If you go with Grado, a tube amp would probably be the most fun. It's easier to pair the 595 with a SS amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SayNoToPistons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was thinking of trying another brand. I would like something more forward... something that puts me on the stage when i listen instead of being the audience, will the Senn's do that for me? I am not exactly looking for a set up that puts me right below my budget. i still have other expensive hobbies and things to take care of :p . So if theres some combo thats under 400 that will start me off and the SQ will be noticeably better then that would be great too. Thanks.

Nov 17, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #5 of 21
the 595 won't put you more forward than the 555, but it is a better headphone. Why not try a grado 325i out of a headfive.. that would be an excellent combo.

Nov 17, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #6 of 21
hey, the 325 is the can I want to try next! Since the SR60 is ho hum compared to the 595, I gotta see what a real Grado is like. And deciding between the 595 vs a Grado really does depend on your listening preferences. If you mean laid back as in not as intense brightness, then the 595 with an amp will give you a more upfront feeling for that. The Grados are more transparent and to some are too harsh. IMHO, I like the 595s for a lot of general rock because of its small soundstage. Others don't like a soundstage....so that's Grado. Which essentially puts the music in your head.

Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 595 won't put you more forward than the 555, but it is a better headphone. Why not try a grado 325i out of a headfive.. that would be an excellent combo.

Nov 17, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #7 of 21
The HD555 and HD595 have a similar sound signature and I believe this is why some people consider them similar. The HD595 is just downright better although the bass is a touch less prominent. In my opinion the HD595 has more impact, more detail, improved reproduction of timbre and more realistic sound stage characteristics. To me these traits make the HD595 considerably more appealing but it's not really any more forward than the HD555, it's just more interesting and engaging. Unfortunately I've not heard the 580/600/650 to compare.

Grados in my experience are more forward/bright but they're at the extreme. If that's what you want then they'll deliver but there's plenty of headphones not made by Sennheiser or Grado that might provide more of a balance. I'm veering into costly territory here but I'm thinking something like the ATH W5000 which in my experience is better across the board. They're forward but not at the expense of other things like soundstage. I've not heard the cheaper Beyerdynamics, AKGs or ATs to judge but I've no doubt they're worth looking at too.

Nov 18, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #8 of 21
Thanks guys. I dont think i will go with the SR 325i because that leaves me too little money for an amp (I have to upgrade my source too). How about the 225? 125? or the MS-1?

Nov 18, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #9 of 21
If you can swing an SR-225 plus an amp (or source improvement), then that's a very solid option, generally actually preferred to the SR-325i around here by and large because many (including me) find the 325 too bright. The MS-1 seems a natural choice if you want to stick with a lower price level, but then you're only just beating the HD555 in SQ IMO.

Nov 18, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #10 of 21
I'm trying Grados out for the first time myself.....and well they're leaving me non plused. They're the SR60s....which while not as refined as the MS-1s are brighter. I'm just not finding them that impactful for most music.....only music I've found that they actually sound better then my 595s is techno.

So I vote if you go Grado, look at the 225: hear that's the classic one for rock. The 595s beat the lesser ones for impact.

Nov 18, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #11 of 21
many people call the 225 the sweet spot of the grado line
i havent heard it but i would like to so i can compare with my ms1

i do have the hd590 which i believe would be normally viewed as supposedly better phone than the 555. personally i find the ms1 still to be superior regarding rock and string based music(even other types). though the ms1 doesnt give me the epic feel in music for epic music in classical music where the 590 can deliver. the 590 also has alot deeper of an extension in the bass department so it gives some life to my electronic music and works wonderful with chill relaxation types of songs. though for something more lively and rockish the ms1 is the clear choice. when i listen to ms1 i want to have a fun time. when i listen to the 590 i am just listening to it to just chill and sit back.

i do notice the brightness from time to time in each headphone but its nothing shrilling or detracting and i sort of like it lol. i do find the 590s to be brighter than the ms1!

also the ms1 has more detail and even though it retails for 100 i could swear it could retail for alot more since ive heard other phones in the 200 range

Nov 18, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #12 of 21
Can someone that owns a Senn and a Grado compare the two for me?

Nov 18, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #13 of 21
I think it's going to be hard to find someone.....since they're seperate camps. Though I really want to try a 225 or 325 now. Mainly to see if Grados really get in your face or not
eggosmile.gif
Will post if that happens soon. I'd say try the 595 if your musical tastes are more alternative/rock/electronica. For hard rock/ heavy metal, the 225s are probably better suited.

Nov 18, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by SayNoToPistons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone that owns a Senn and a Grado compare the two for me?

Some of the posts here list the basic differences, Grados generally have more pronounced treble and are in your face, Senns are generally more laid back with a larger soundstage. Are there any more specific aspects of the sound you'd like compared? I own the HD595 and SR-80s and am familiar with the HD555 sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back