the next 'step' up from free eagle?
Nov 26, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is it that tool makers just can't do a good job at this or that users stopped asking for it?

What's happened is that 99% of all electronics is mass-market. It's rare to hear of high-tech devices made in fewer than 10,000 piece runs, and not unheard of to hear of them being made in the millions. In such a market, the cost of the tools to make the pieces doesn't matter so much: every dollar spent on tools that saves at least a hundredth of a penny per unit is a good buy.

At the same time, digital has taken over the world. This enforces a whole different set of constraints on layouts. For instance, you have to be able to tell it that these two traces here have to be exactly the same length. If they aren't, there will be clock skew and RF impedance mismatches, so the circuit stops working. There's art to analog design, too, but it's a different art.

Another force that's acting on the EDA world is consolidation. There are maybe 4 big companies in this space; everyone else is either acquisition bait or too small to worry about, from their perspective. Just a few months ago, there was danger of this number being reduced to 3, but the tanking of the economy scuttled the deal.

All of this combined together means the cost per seat of the current high-technology EDA packages is so ridiculously far out of the reach of a hobbyist that we don't even talk about these options here. Back 15 years ago when my company was designing its first hardware, we got into one of the "cheap" high-end EDA packages for something like $5,000. That package has been through two company acquisitions now, is in direct competition with other similar packages, and so is only sold to its existing market, for more like $8,000 per seat. The stuff that's actually still popular goes for more. 5 figures a seat is not unreasonable in this world.

Nov 26, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #17 of 21
cliffs notes version: its higher than my pay-grade.
wink.gif

perhaps the key is to work for a hardware company and bribe the hardware guys when you need work done?
wink.gif

I used to work in combined hardware/software companies but at the time I wasn't really into doing pc boards and such. now that I'm getting into it, I have no more access to 'workplace' hardware labs.

I suppose for now, I must resign myself to learning how to layout by hand and don't assume too much smartness on the tools. I guess setting the proper expectation was in order.

Nov 26, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #18 of 21
I use eagle in work quite a bit. A little practice and you'll be flying along.
I do all manual routing, I find it's the only way to get the exact results you want.

The all singin' EDA tools Tangent speaks of are just too costly. We have the same problems with our CAD/CAM department, we find it very costly as we only need maybe one or two seats, then the big multinational companies pay next to nothing because of their higher profile and bulk discounts.

Stick with eagle and stick to manual place and route. It's good software and gets a easier with practice.

Nov 26, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianDonegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try DipTrace:DipTrace - Professional Schematic & PCB Design Software

aren't you a bit too young to be playing with hardware tools?

sorry
wink.gif
ok, getting serious again - I'll look at that pkg. I wonder if group related projects, such as we often find here would fit under their non-profit terms? something close to $100 for the sw seems about right to me and my budget.

thanks for the ptr! now go finish your supper or no desert for you!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back