The next step --> HELP!!
Mar 11, 2009 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

cyberidd

1000+ Head-Fier
Ok, so I've been hit by upgradeitis and now I don't know what to do. I currently own the DT770 Pro/80 and although I love them, I want to create a home setup and have something that is unlike the 770s. I also need to get a dac and amp, so I was planning on getting the Audio-GD Compass as well as a new set of cans. I'm looking to spend $650> (CaD) for the entire setup, but MAY go higher if it seems to be worth it.
I've been looking at everything from the hd600 and hd650 to AKG K701 and K501. This also caught my eye, but in buying this I would not be able to buy a dac and would just be running it out of my stock computer soundcard as well as a turntable. I am of course open to other suggestions as well.
The music I listen to is mostly classic rock, but I also listen to other forms of rock, jazz, country, big band jazz, blues, funk, soul, celtic, punk, some rap, vocal, and just about anything else you can think of. Very eclectic to say the least!

Thanks,
Andrew

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #2 of 12
If you can afford the Koss's, grab them, it seems like a great deal. Given that you already do a decent amount of non-digital listening, a lack of a DAC won't hurt that much, you can just put it on your list of upgrades down the line.

I don't know much about the Compass and what it synergizes well with since it hasn't been released yet and I haven't been keeping up religiously with that thread, but I'm sure there will be someone who can give guidance there.

Are there specific sound characteristics that you're looking for, or things that you don't like about the 770s that make you want to try something different?

Mar 12, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #4 of 12
Well the Koss are kind of on the fence right now as they are damn expensive for someone in university with very little extra income, especially since I'm assuming the price is in American dollars and the Canadian dollar is kind of in the toilet right now. As for the K701's, what scares me with there is all the negative comments about them recently, and the fact that even the people who like them also seem to be saying they are not good for rock, my current style of choice, so I'm a bit reluctant to get a pair of those.

Mar 12, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #6 of 12
I'm a fan of the K601 myself, but got them for under $200, and now they're only about $50 cheaper than the K702s. Go for the 702s vs the 701's for sure, if only for the colour..
wink.gif

If you want to keep the costs down, read up on the CK2III amplifier. It's a DIY design, very well regarded and known to drive the 701's nicely. You can find several builders who will build one for you (YBM's price is $325). Another alternative is the M3, but may be somewhat more expensive.
Im a fan of the DIY designs, I think they provide great value for the money.
IF you need a DAC, go for something inexpensive for now, like a SuperPro DAC USB for your Computer, and then you can always sell it and upgrade later(more upgrading fun).

Mar 12, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #7 of 12
I think one thing to think about is how you want to prioritize your purchases. If you love the DT770s and want to try and get the most out of them, then maybe get a new DAC and a versatile amp and forget about new HPs - with your budget you can get some quality equipment.

Otherwise, do the standard prioritization of HP>Amp>DAC. Start at the left and work your way right, buying good equipment that you think you can be happy with for a while without getting instant relapsing upgradeitis.Then save your money to upgrade whatever is left at some point down the line.

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #8 of 12
Also, as a K701 owner, I'd generally agree that they're not the best for rock, as much as I like them. Not to say I don't enjoy listening to rock on them, because I do enjoy their sound signature overall, but they definitely won't be for all rock fans.

If you want to tailor your cans to rock, Grado seems to be the consensus pick around these parts, and there are lots of ways you can go. How about a used RS1 for ~500, and not worry about amp/DAC for now since they're considered to be pretty easy to drive? That's the howitzer solution that will leave you without the desire to upgrade headphones for a while. Or you could grab a pair of Grado 325's and nothing else and save yourself a lot of money. Or you could do $200 for the 325 + $200 for a less expensive tube amp, like a Little Dot, and save DAC for later or buy a cheap one for $100-150.

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #9 of 12
Well you mentioned that you own the DT770's and are wanting a different sounding can.

Sounds exactly like me, except I started with the K701. I like to listen to acoustic and vocal music through headphones for the most part (SRV-Life by the Drop, Eagles-Seven Bridges Road, Elliot Smith-"anything" ). The K701 is a phenomenal performer for that kind of Music IMO.

Then I decided to purchase another phone that had more "ass" to it for pop/rock music. So I got the Beyers. I think it'll be a long time before I buy another pair of headphones.

Most of the negatives you read about the K701 are bass related. You already have a bass monster so I would think big bass is not a priority.

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #10 of 12
Although I am looking for something different than my DT770's, I do not want to entirely abandon bass. I am not (in my opinion) a basshead though so it isn't the highest of priorities as I do already have bass monster 770's. One of the things that I am really hoping to get in these new cans would be a decent soundstage, since the Beyers are kind of lacking in that category. I was a bit wary of Grado for that reason alone because although they sound like the perfect headphones for me in many ways, they (FWIR) have a narrow soundstage. Is this not true with the RS-1?

Mar 12, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #11 of 12
If you want some cans that sound different, HD-600s would be the go. They are reasonably priced and I thought do quite well out of the Compass. If, down the track, you want to upgrade further, the HD-600s scale as far as you can go.

Mar 12, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #12 of 12
So the HD-600 are a better option for someone who listens primarily to rock than the K-701? Also FWIR then the RS-1 are not so much of a jump better than the SR-225 or the SR-325i, is this true? Finally, between the Grados and the Senns which would be a better choice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back