The Next Batch: EC/SS - (Eventual Impressions)
Jul 2, 2007 at 8:20 AM Post #121 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by riceboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review combat audio. I am also just looking around for another amp/dac combo and I have the HD650s and I'm getting the RS1s soon. I've heard this amp was pretty good and your review of it has peaked my interest. Right now I have the Microstack, but I was in between another SS or probably the Mapletree Purist+ HD2. Thanks again

I have the MAD Purist "HD" and the EC/SS (1st batch with AD825). I prefer the Purist HD, just for the options with tubes. I feel like I have more than one amp with the Purist. Tube rolling is a major plus for the sound options. I really prefer the RS1 with Purist. The EC/SS is a bit too much for the RS1.

rs1smile.gif

Jul 2, 2007 at 8:41 AM Post #122 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the MAD Purist "HD" and the EC/SS (1st batch with AD825). I prefer the Purist HD, just for the options with tubes. I feel like I have more than one amp with the Purist. Tube rolling is a major plus for the sound options. I really prefer the RS1 with Purist. The EC/SS is a bit too much for the RS1.

rs1smile.gif

Thanks for your insights 3x331m on the MAD Purist HD and EC/SS. I've been really interested in getting a tube amp for my HD650s and my future RS1s. Tube rolling always interested me for the sound options as well
smily_headphones1.gif
. Better hide my wallet lol
tongue.gif

Jul 10, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #123 of 127
After getting my RS1s and loving the sound, I finally decided to pull the trigger and order the EC/SS. I'm hoping to get it by this week. I'll give my initial impressions when I get it in. thanks to everyone who shared their experience with the EC/SS as well. I'm sure when I get it and listen to it with my RS1s I'm going to thank Craig ten fold
rs1smile.gif

Jul 10, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #124 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by riceboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After getting my RS1s and loving the sound, I finally decided to pull the trigger and order the EC/SS. I'm hoping to get it by this week. I'll give my initial impressions when I get it in. thanks to everyone who shared their experience with the EC/SS as well. I'm sure when I get it and listen to it with my RS1s I'm going to thank Craig ten fold
rs1smile.gif

you will like the combo. They go well together. EC/SS is a good value for the sound.

Jul 11, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #125 of 127
I returned my EC/SS (newest batch).

Found it a bit slow in the transients, and a bit "thick" in the midrange. Lacks sufficient instrument separation. Relatively flat soundstage too.

Perhaps an ok match for the RS-1, but not the GS-1000's, and definitely not for my Ultrasone Prolines. No synergy, no magic. Not much of anything particulary exceptional nor distinctive. I couldn't be satisfied downsizing to this amp.

Aug 4, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #126 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I returned my EC/SS (newest batch).

Found it a bit slow in the transients, and a bit "thick" in the midrange. Lacks sufficient instrument separation. Relatively flat soundstage too.

Perhaps an ok match for the RS-1, but not the GS-1000's, and definitely not for my Ultrasone Prolines. No synergy, no magic. Not much of anything particulary exceptional nor distinctive. I couldn't be satisfied downsizing to this amp.

I'm having the exact same problem with my MS-2i's and recently purchased EC/SS. It's slightly better than my Headfive in some ways but worse in others.

- The bass is a little tighter than the Headfive but there is a LOT less of it.
- as jpelg mentioned, the midrange is blurred. There are maybe a couple of songs where I can hear details more clearly than with the Headfive, but many other songs where details that were perfectly clear with the Headfive are recessed or missing.

When it came to choosing amps it was between the HR-2 and EC/SS; I chose the EC/SS because it was half the price and had been compared favourably to the HR-2 with regard to Grado/Alessandros. The only negative comment I found was jpelg's, and since I prefer a warmer sound I thought the smoothness might appeal to me.

All in all I'm pretty disappointed - I'll give it a few more days of burn-in but I'm strongly considering sending it back.

Aug 12, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #127 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by thubble /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm having the exact same problem with my MS-2i's and recently purchased EC/SS. It's slightly better than my Headfive in some ways but worse in others.

- The bass is a little tighter than the Headfive but there is a LOT less of it.
- as jpelg mentioned, the midrange is blurred. There are maybe a couple of songs where I can hear details more clearly than with the Headfive, but many other songs where details that were perfectly clear with the Headfive are recessed or missing.

When it came to choosing amps it was between the HR-2 and EC/SS; I chose the EC/SS because it was half the price and had been compared favourably to the HR-2 with regard to Grado/Alessandros. The only negative comment I found was jpelg's, and since I prefer a warmer sound I thought the smoothness might appeal to me.

All in all I'm pretty disappointed - I'll give it a few more days of burn-in but I'm strongly considering sending it back.

UPDATE: I've shipped back my EC/SS. It's just too "thick" and un-detailed in the midrange. I'm back to using my Headfive, which I much prefer even though it's just over half the price of the EC/SS.

I always assumed I like a very warm sound - it appears I actually prefer a sound that's just slightly to the warm side of neutral. If you like a very warm, "tubey" sound then you'll probably love the EC/SS.

I should also mention that I did like the punchy bass and extended highs of the EC/SS, though overall I prefer the laid-back sound of the Headfive. Once Todd receives my return I'll probably order a Corda Opera, which by all accounts has a sound similar to the Headfive but better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back