The New RS1 (facelift edition) vs old RS1 vs MS-PRO
Oct 13, 2007 at 7:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

solomon

Member of the Trade
It is strange that since John Grado decided to give RS1 a facelift, there has been very few posts comparing the old RS1 (with two little wood pieces marking RS1 at sides) and the new RS1 (without the wood pieces).

Very few people purchased the new RS1? Its hard to believe!

Anyway here I will start with my initial impressions.

Oct 13, 2007 at 8:11 AM Post #2 of 52
Okay the new RS1 is new and has only been burned in for 3-4 hours. But compared to an old RS1 (fully burned in), the difference is easily discernible to sensitive ears.

The new RS1 has a midrange that is less colored. This is the key point. The bass is still not very well controlled, but this is due to the fact it is not burned in yet. Yes experience tells me bass will improve over time.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing to have a less colored midrange? It is totally dependent on personal taste. The old RS1 is very strongly colored and sometimes you can feel RS1 is adding a very strong color, or character, to the original recording. The color it adds sometimes can outshadow the real timber of the original instrument or human voice in the recording. So while RS1 sometimes makes a record sound nicer, it also sometimes makes instruments or voices sound unreal, because it adds too much character to whatever is recorded.

The new RS1 adds less "character" to the recording. To my ears this is prety good. For those who think RS1 is too colored, this is good news. Just listen to a violin solo recording, and compare the old and new RS1s, you will understand what i mean. With the old RS1, you hear more of the "RS1 timber" than the real violin sound, making the violin sound sweet but unreal, while with the new RS1 the violin is still colored but to a lesser degree, making it sound closer to a true violin.

Oct 13, 2007 at 8:30 AM Post #3 of 52
Some would ask whether the new RS1 sounds similiar to an MS-Pro? My answer is NO.

MS-Pro has a more conservative (milder) and colder sound, generally. The midrange is more laidback and sounds "colder", versus the more warmer sounding RS1. The bass impact is less impressive than RS1 (both new and old). The soundstage is bigger on MS-Pro, putting everything farther from you.

So for classical music and new age music, MS-Pro might be more suitable, but things like rock and jazz are definitely where RS1 excels.

Personally I like the new RS1 for its less colored midrange, and it's good that it keeps all other basic characters of the old RS1: a very lively and impactful bass, a dense and forward midrange, a penetrating high frequency, and an overall dynamic and passionate sound.

Oct 13, 2007 at 9:05 AM Post #5 of 52
Very nice analysis. Thanks a lot!

Oct 13, 2007 at 11:19 AM Post #6 of 52
can some1 post (link) a picture with the rs1 ON the head ? looking _at_ the camera?, they look soooo nice but seriusly would like how they look on.

I know many here owns them,.. please give pictures !!!!

Oct 13, 2007 at 11:22 AM Post #7 of 52
I wonder if removing the buttons on older RS1 would make it sound like new RS1? Thats the only difference compared to new RS1 that could possibly make the sound difference, no?

Oct 13, 2007 at 1:06 PM Post #8 of 52
Thanks Solomon for your writeup - it comes at an opportune time for me. I sold my RS-2, and have been frustrated in getting a "pre-used" pair of GS1000 (which are selling so close to new, that you might as well buy new)..........so, I'd almost considered a pair of pre 2007 RS-1.

Oct 13, 2007 at 1:41 PM Post #9 of 52
Nice write-up and pictures!
I think the new RS1 looks better than the old one. Lighter coloured wood, different text and no button. Nice...
rs1smile.gif

Oct 13, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #15 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice write-up and pictures!
I think the new RS1 looks better than the old one. Lighter coloured wood, different text and no button. Nice...
rs1smile.gif

Mahogany darkens with age, assuming they're still using mahogany for wood. Which is probably the main reason why older production RS-1/2 are darker in color than newer ones. So unless they did additional treatment to the wood in the new production RS-1/2, they'll eventually get fairly dark in color.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back