The NEW K701 Impressions Thread
Feb 22, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #46 of 146
Spike33....for a non-owner, you seem to be a pretty vocal fan.

I agree with most of what you are saying. But I will not go as far as saying the880 is obsolete, but I will say having both in the collection is somewhat redundant.

Luckily, for me, since I do have 880's....this gives me an opportunity to upgrade my workplace headphones....I can use my 880's there instead of my Grado SR225's which have been driving me nuts (mainly the comfort of the pads over the entire day)

I think the 701's are like 880's but with a sprinkling of Senn flavouring where it matters. A smoother more natural treble, with a very slightly bit more midbass punch mixed in with the famous AKG mids.

Feb 22, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #47 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33
I hold DT880 in high regard, but I'm afraid it might be obsolete.

Obsolete... are you nuts? Look up the definition of the term first, then consider: If the DT880s are obsolete, this also makes the following obsolete (among others):

* K601
* K1000
* SA5000
* HD650, 600, 580
* RS-1

Are you going to claim that the above headphones are all obsolete now? If not, why are you singling out the DT880?

You seem to be headed straight into fanboyism... watch out. You don't seem to understand the concept of personal preference, that's a serious warning sign of a fanboy in the making.

Feb 22, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #48 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Obsolete... are you nuts? Look up the definition of the term first, then consider: If the DT880s are obsolete, this also makes the following obsolete (among others):

* K601
* K1000
* SA5000
* HD650, 600, 580
* RS-1

Are you going to claim that the above headphones are all obsolete now? If not, why are you singling out the DT880?

You seem to be headed straight into fanboyism... watch out. You don't seem to understand the concept of personal preference, that's a serious warning sign of a fanboy in the making.

While we are at it lets add the K501s to that list too.

Feb 22, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #49 of 146
fewtch said:
. I doubt K701 has the liveliness and energy of the DT880, because it's reported to have a mellower treble. Therefore, K701 lacks something the DT880 has.
The 701 has lots of treble energy and liveliness. But when you get to the point where anymore would be to much the k701 doesnt cross the line. Therefore, I think you have come to the wrong conclusion.
wink.gif

Feb 22, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #50 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
I doubt K701 has the liveliness and energy of the DT880, because it's reported to have a mellower treble. Therefore, K701 lacks something the DT880 has.

Hold on....there is something about the 701's treble that keeps it very lively yet there is also less of a sharpening effect. So I would not say the 701 is lacking anything, it's just a bit more natural but would not fall into the category of "veiled"

Spike33 is right in the regard that most 880 owners will find a lot to like in the 701.

Feb 22, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #51 of 146
Fewtch has already made me interested in the dt880 in another thread by saying it was exactly what I described except for the rock factor. Now that most of you basically confirm that it has the same type of sound as the dt880 but more of everything and the fact that the k701 won in my poll thread k701 or dt880 for rock.... I am finally set to pull the trigger on the k701s as my main can that will hold its own for all music
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Thanks guys.... I'll be set with these and and amp and a dac and cables and then a new source... whooops I forgot I'm still addicted to headfi.... got to get out while I still can. I'm afraid even the daddy O will show up in my cans to buy in the future... and then whoops bankrupcy
tongue.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Feb 22, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #52 of 146
I'd say neither are great rocking cans, but the 701 is a better all-rounder, it walks the neutral middle line very well. The main difference is that the 701's have slightly sweeter mids, and a nicely defined treble that sounds lively yet natural.

If I were starting out fresh, I would pick the 701's over the 880's.

Feb 22, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #53 of 146
I really don't get peoples idea of rocking cans. I want my recordings sounding accurate to the source, dynamic and i want all the detail there... grados were my cup of tea before so i recently purchased ms1s recently to see if they were still my cup of tea before i spring for a woody(rs1 or rs2). Found out I like my senn 555 much more but my girlfriend sure loves them ms1s
biggrin.gif
. They are her favorite. she even cooks with them on.
Ok so what would people that like their rock music to sound realistic get then? I researched on the 590s or the dt990s and people here say that the lower male vocals are enhanced on these... I don't like that. I want a way more open sounding, detailed and clear version of my senn with good bass impact and definition with palpable vocals and detail. People say the 555s don't have enough bass, well the amount is enough for me. Its just more clarity /neutrality and top end that I want. And I want it all presented in a very coherent matter.

When people say for rock use grados... are they also saying they prefer cerwin vega speakers than avante gardes for rock? well, I'm a magnepan/avantegarde type of guy in the speaker department. avantegarde highs with magnepan fullness and realism with musical instruments is my dream sound. hehehe

Feb 22, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #54 of 146
I had a chance to hear the K 701's at the Miami meet last Saturday, as well as Senn 650's and I brought my DT 880's. My DT 880's are only about 2 weeks old so they are still developing. I listened through my Headroom Micro to all three phones, and I thought the K 701's were the superior phones. I thought they had better detail, and better focused detail than my DT 880's, had an overall better balanced sound, a more three dimensional soundstage and better bass and low midrange. Now let me add that the DT880's are still breaking in. On Saturday I found the high end of the DT 880's still a bit shrill on certain recordings and the K 701's not all all shrill, but very clean and clear at the high end, certainly not souinding rolled off. I went home and immediately ordered a pair of K 701's from Earphone solutions which had them for $ 309 shipped. It will take a few weeks until they get them. However, I still am enjoying the DT 880s and their sound is continuing to develop, in the last few days the shrill high end has sweetened a bit. Also, the K701's were easier to drive from my micro than the DT 880s and they seemed quite efficient. I didn't like the sound of the 650's as I didn't find them transparent enough for my taste ( I include that as a reference for any bias on my listening tastes). Also, for those who haven't heard the K 701's and are looking for further descriptions, my first impression on hearing the K 701's was that they had a similar sound signature to my Ety 4P's, sort of like the Ety's "writ large" if you will. A similar sound, but expanded into a full size and powerful headphone with great detail and clarity as well as warmth in the mids and natural sounding bass. I didn't find them bright, but quite neutral. Anyway, I hope this description is useful to others who are interested in these phones, but haven't heard them.
etysmile.gif

Feb 22, 2006 at 4:01 PM Post #55 of 146
At least the headphones that everyone is comparing the K701 to are $100 less (now)... that is the only thing that makes me not as angry about buying the DT880. Well, angry about buying them, and the fact that it is losing value every day it seems, and I haven't even gotten them yet!
redface.gif

I should have just waited and bought a used pair from the For Sale boards... this wait is rediculous. Never again. I could have just sat around until some K701s made there way to the boards... at least I probably wouldn't have to wait as long.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 22, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #56 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by zancxia
At least the headphones that everyone is comparing the K701 to are $100 less (now)...

Certainly, it does underscore how much of a bargain the 880's are, as they are often mentioned in the same threads as the more expensive HD650 and now the K701's. To me, the K701 can be clearly pitted against the HD650 in the boxing ring, and the outcome will be vary depending on who's judging. There is no knockout winner when it comes to these headphones.

Feb 22, 2006 at 4:27 PM Post #57 of 146
my briefest of brief impressions of both the 880's and 701's left me wanting the 701's, because of an sort of .. air present in the sound of the 701's that i never heared before and the treble of the 880's that was just too loud.

my experience is rather insignificant though
frown.gif

Feb 22, 2006 at 4:31 PM Post #58 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by zancxia
At least the headphones that everyone is comparing the K701 to are $100 less (now)... that is the only thing that makes me not as angry about buying the DT880. Well, angry about buying them, and the fact that it is losing value every day it seems, and I haven't even gotten them yet!
redface.gif

I should have just waited and bought a used pair from the For Sale boards... this wait is rediculous. Never again. I could have just sat around until some K701s made there way to the boards... at least I probably wouldn't have to wait as long.
rolleyes.gif

Yeah, seeing that DT880 for $160 in the sale forums made my eyes pop a bit
eek.gif
- honestly, even the MS2i, which the DT880 pulls even with in its own way, would never sell for that low! Sheesh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back