The NEW K701 Impressions Thread
Feb 21, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #16 of 146
I think of brittle sounding treble as if instruments playing in that region have a plasticky or hollow nature and lack the realism and organic sound of the recorded instruments(maybe a plasticky timbre with very short/dry decay). Pls point out examples in what was playing in the music that sounded brittle and for those that have heard the 701s broken in to chime in and say whether this brittle treble goes away after 300hours

Feb 21, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #17 of 146
Yes, I would say it brittle can mean it will break apart easily. The sound treble makes as it is clipping a bit...a hardness/stridency with overly exaggerated decay. I would say any "brittleness" that was evident out of the box is 60% gone after 30 hours, but I still expect it to improve given the reputation of these headphones needing very long break in.

It's pretty hard to characterize sound with just pure adjectives, as the words mean something different for every person. That's why I will try to relate the sound to my reference DT880 and less so with the HD600's I sold. As I said, my listening sessions have been brief, so take that it for what it's worth.

Feb 21, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #18 of 146
Ahh so youre saying that it's the opposite of having a dry decay? The decay is too long??? weird cause clipping sounds usually have a short decay. Ok anyway ... so far, even with this treble anomaly, does it kill the dt880s???
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif
I hope you say yes so that it will make my choice easier between the two

Feb 21, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #19 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus
Ok anyway ... so far, even with this treble anomaly, does it kill the dt880s

Treble anomaly? I know you said "so far," but please remember that we are talking about initial imprssions, with little or no break-in. I wouldn't characterize harshness straight out of the box as an anomaly, I think its rather normal for brand new headphones sound a bit harsh.

Feb 21, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #20 of 146
I would say I prefer the treble over that of the 880's so far.

Keep in mind that my characterizations are trying to describe VERY small differences while still in break-in period. The K701 sounds VERY VERY good. I think it already has become my favorite headphone. If break-in continues to tighten/strengthen the bass and continue to smoothen the treble, it will easily surpass my 880's.

Feb 21, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #21 of 146
Quote:

...so far, even with this treble anomaly...

I had complained about a slightly forward lower treble and upper midrange. But this isn't much of an issue anymore after >300 hours. The slight initial plastickiness (brittle?) has completely disappeared.

Quote:

...does it kill the dt880s???

I don't like that term -- but to my ears the K 701 sounds more natural and more refined than the DT 880 (one of my ex-favorites).

Feb 21, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #22 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayreonaut
Treble anomaly? I know you said "so far," but please remember that we are talking about initial imprssions, with little or no break-in. I wouldn't characterize harshness straight out of the box as an anomaly, I think its rather normal for brand new headphones sound a bit harsh.

I know, that is why I asked that question. If it is already better than the dt880 out of the box then what more when broken in. I was asking whether even with the anomalies that they come with out of the box, if they were already better than fully cooked 880s

Edit: Can you guys remember the 880s quirks out of the box that faded away after burn in?

Feb 21, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #23 of 146
Quote:

Edit: Can you guys remember the 880s quirks out of the box that faded away after burn in?

Mostly just some sibilance in the treble that went away. The soundstage has opened up as well... bass is a bit more solid/tight, but not much different. IMO the DT880 is not a headphone that needs a lot of burn-in, but the treble in particular does improve.

BTW, it's the DT880's sense of transparency (with orchestral classical in particular) that won me over, and it would be a very tall order for the K701 to equal it, to my ears. Forget naturalness/refinement, if I don't get that sense of a transparent window into the music that I've gotten with the DT880. It'll be a while before I could afford a pair of K701s anyway, so I'm not exactly on the edge of my seat...

Feb 21, 2006 at 5:13 PM Post #24 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Mostly just some sibilance in the treble that went away. The soundstage has opened up as well... bass is a bit more solid/tight, but not much different. IMO the DT880 is not a headphone that needs a lot of burn-in, but the treble in particular does improve.

I agree: The initial sibilance which went away and a slightly smoother, fuller sound were the only changes I've noticed with the DT 880. One of the headphones with low break-in demand -- thus the opposite of the K 701 (and the HD 650) -- IME.

Quote:

...Forget naturalness/refinement, if I don't get that sense of a transparent window into the music that I've gotten with the DT880.

It's been a while since I heard the DT 880, but I'd say the K 701 is at least as transparent.

Feb 21, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #26 of 146
Quote:

...which one is more refined/coherent/natural/transparent/dynamic/fun? k701 or dt880

Don't know about the «fun» -- I guess that's very individual --, but the other criteria go to the K 701 (IMO).

Feb 21, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #28 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
I agree: The initial sibilance which went away and a slightly smoother, fuller sound were the only changes I've noticed with the DT 880. One of the headphones with low break-in demand -- thus the opposite of the K 701 (and the HD 650) -- IME.

It's been a while since I heard the DT 880, but I'd say the K 701 is at least as transparent.

Hmmm... I'd have to hear it to believe it (which means I would never sell the DT880 to help fund the K701, which puts off trying it for a while). Unlike many, I have few issues with DT880 treble and in many ways it's the perfect headphone for me... so I wonder how the K701 could improve on near-perfection (to my ears). Especially after I got my Pimeta, the bass is so tight/perfect it almost makes me cry
tongue.gif

I sure am strongly curious about the K701 though... although my gear may not be good enough to make any improvements beyond this level worthwhile.

Feb 21, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #29 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Hmmm... I'd have to hear it to believe it (which means I would never sell the DT880 to help fund the K701, which puts off trying it for a while). Unlike many, I have few issues with DT880 treble and in many ways it's the perfect headphone for me... so I wonder how the K701 could improve on near-perfection (to my ears). Especially after I got my Pimeta, the bass is so tight/perfect it almost makes me cry
tongue.gif

I sure am strongly curious about the K701 though... although my gear may not be good enough to make any improvements beyond this level worthwhile.

You know, nobody is forcing you! If you're really that happy with the DT 880, I would stick with it. The K 701 is not a sensational headphone, just a quite neutral, unspectacular sound transducer in line with the likes of HD 650 and DT 880 (actually somewhere in between).

Feb 21, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #30 of 146
Quote:

Ok you guys are killing me... which one is more refined/coherent/natural/transparent/dynamic/fun? k701 or dt880

The dt880 is an excellent headphone ..... one of the very best. But it has a treble presentation I personally found bothersome. I used to wish for a little more mid-bass weight too. The 701, however, just sounds right. I dont hear anything wrong and nothing seems lacking. The headphone seems to get completely out of the way.

The 701 sounds near perfect with the Headamp GS-1. Using any number of tube amps the 701 passes along even more transparency and has a wonderful resolution of the recorded space thats very lifelike. The senn 600 ..... my standard .... sounds a little ripe in the bass and a bit closed in vs the 701. I still like cerain aspects of the 600/ cardas but the 701 is closing in fast. I said this before ..... the 701 may very well end up my new favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back