The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Mar 20, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #302 of 3,535
Hopefully Amazon Japan will have a sale on them. They did dip down to $310 or so at one point. Also the FX650s are interesting.. Supposedly the more neutral flavor of the bunch..I recently saw them on sale for $150 but quickly went back up to around $175..

Ya I like em a little too much..If something like what happened to mochill happened to my pair. I would actually order another pair..It is one of them sounds that just sticks to your ribs. Just lingers. Makes you want to hear them again. 

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #304 of 3,535
Not yet. Everyone is going for the top dog being the FX850. There was some translated impressions online that mentioned the FX650 was more focused on treble and mids . While the FX750 were the bass phones.

The FX850 being the best of both and on top of that, silver coated OFC detachable cables for the extra details. From my past experience with JVC you can never tell with their phones which one has the better tuning but basing the FX850s sound quality. I highly doubt the lower models will have all that is going on the FX850. 

One might have less bass and is more neutral in sound.. The other might have more bass emphasis with lesser treble and good mids.. The FX850 is the grand showcase of JVC knowhow and tuning. Definitely JVCs flagship. 

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #306 of 3,535
keep tabs on Amazon Japan.. They will sell them cheaper to get some reviews.  Once they dip to $150 or less I would go for it.. I bet it will give some stiff competition to the Fostex TE-05 and the Doppios..

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #308 of 3,535
  keep tabs on Amazon Japan.. They will sell them cheaper to get some reviews.  Once they dip to $150 or less I would go for it.. I bet it will give some stiff competition to the Fostex TE-05 and the Doppios..

and the im-02s. 
tongue.gif

I'm a sucker for that at sound, just as much as the zero audio sound. I'm hoping to get the fostex first before doppios.

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #309 of 3,535
Guys, interested in these woodies.

Coming from Shure 846, is the bass heavier / more prominent than 846?

What about the mids and treble? Hope these woodies are not too dark and recessed in mids.

Thanks

I'm getting SGS' pair in tomorrow so I'll be able to provide some impressions of the 850 vs. the SE846 in due time

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #310 of 3,535
  I've been checking on Amazon JP everyday for any dip in prices. Like playing the stock market.

Especially those all time lows they have on that website sometimes.

Gosh dang, how did we ever miss that $40 deal they had on those fx850s?

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #311 of 3,535
I'm getting SGS' pair in tomorrow so I'll be able to provide some impressions of the 850 vs. the SE846 in due time

That will be super duper awesome.. If u have time, do feel free to throw in a few words with 1p2 or k3003 as well. I awaits this precious comparison.:D

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #312 of 3,535
Based on some convos with SGS and James, the stock FX850 will sound nothing like the K3K/1p2 (which sound more similar than not) but that's okay since I'm trying to find something dissimilar to those two anyway (the SE846 is getting sold due to fit issues and it's just not my ideal sig). I'm interested in seeing how they perform with James' "J444" front vent mod. Based on what I know of the FX500, the 850 will likely be too bass heavy for me, but may be a contender after some attenuation

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #313 of 3,535
Forget the modding. Try burn in.. It works.. 4 guys I know that own these will back me up on that.. Just try it for a weeks worth of time. See what happens and then try all the modding you want if the bass is still too big. You got nothing to loose but the very best sounding FX850 after it is done. I would seriously try it. 

Not just for the bass as it gets tighter and much more refined but the rest of the sound signature as well.. Much more detailed and that treble becomes amazing. You guys have to remember these have brand new silver coated OFC cables that come with them.. Burn them in..It will change how these sound to a much more refined version..

I tested my tracks for microdetails before and after burn in and you guys would be shocked at how much more detail these phones pick up after some time on the burner..

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #314 of 3,535
I think thw other valid comparison is to compare with Cardas.

I tried a used pair somewhere and couldn't believe how thick and muddy it was. But again maybe the previous owner did not get past 100-200 hours burn in.

I am a firm believer in DD burn in so i dig the impressions on this thread.

Besides, one could try to swab with silver cables to tame down the bass and add some air to the top

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #315 of 3,535
Oh I don't know. I love the bass on these. I wouldn't change a thing on them especially since I got the most time on the burner on them. Over 250 hours. These have come alive in so many ways. If I was like the cool guys I suppose I would do a group tour of my well burned in phones. But I aint so I wont. Lol. Just gotta trust that these magically go from good sounding to something special in a weeks worth of time..I wouldn't lie about that to a bunch of fellow enthusiasts. Honest abe.

I know most of you guys have other phones you use.. Leave the FX850 on a station burning during the day and night if you can. And just use the other phones you got..It is kinda fun checking in on their progress. Tell me I am wrong after words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back