The new iRiver imp500 ?
Jan 5, 2003 at 10:36 AM Post #16 of 40
... And it doesn't really make sence that they had to make it bigger than the slimX'es preceding it...

Jan 5, 2003 at 10:38 AM Post #17 of 40
Hey, on that little sign next to the player it says "13,4 mm thin"

On the sign right over the player it says "Ultra slim: 16,7 mm"

Which is it???
eek.gif

Jan 5, 2003 at 6:07 PM Post #21 of 40
By the looks of it yes. Since most figure the IMP-500 will be released in Nov., you would hope iRiver would have the idea to put new electronics in it and try to please people and make it round this time. Maybe, maybe not...

Jan 11, 2003 at 6:39 AM Post #23 of 40
Forgot the specs

MP3 CD
Doing what they can to stay on top of the MP3 market, in terms of straight performance if not sales, iRiver also announced the SlimX 550 (iMP-550). In terms of features it's very similar to the SlimX 400, the current flagship. It doesn't have quite as many goodies, and I think the skip protection is trimmed down, but for $149.95 it looks to be a serious contender. If you can believe it, the 550 is actually smaller than the 400. Barely wider than a CD and a scant 13 millimeters thin, the 550 closes in on the physical limit of portable CD players. The body itself has no controls and no LCD. Like its predecessor, the remote is necessary for operation. iRiver stuck with the gum stick rechargeable batteries and optional external battery pack. However, they managed to squeeze about 70 hours of operation from a fully loaded model.

Jan 11, 2003 at 7:01 AM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by kaiwei
Forgot the specs

MP3 CD
Doing what they can to stay on top of the MP3 market, in terms of straight performance if not sales, iRiver also announced the SlimX 550 (iMP-550). In terms of features it's very similar to the SlimX 400, the current flagship. It doesn't have quite as many goodies, and I think the skip protection is trimmed down, but for $149.95 it looks to be a serious contender. If you can believe it, the 550 is actually smaller than the 400. Barely wider than a CD and a scant 13 millimeters thin, the 550 closes in on the physical limit of portable CD players. The body itself has no controls and no LCD. Like its predecessor, the remote is necessary for operation. iRiver stuck with the gum stick rechargeable batteries and optional external battery pack. However, they managed to squeeze about 70 hours of operation from a fully loaded model.

This sounds interesting. I have the 350 model and like it. I like the idea that this 550 could be barely larger than a cd. I used to have a Sony player that was about the size of a Cd around but quite thick. I really like the small diameter size.

Jan 11, 2003 at 2:45 PM Post #25 of 40
70 hours of operation?

Better go grab an IMP400 (or 350), because to get that long of a battery life, they MUST have cut back on the headphone amp output.

Incidentally, the IMP400 IS controllable (basic functions, including volume) with the jog dial on the unit itself.

Jan 12, 2003 at 5:47 AM Post #26 of 40
So sound-wise I believe nobody has listened to it yet? I'd like to
know if anybody could compare the 400 with the 550. I've got my
mind pretty much made up about the 400 but now this one comes
out. DOH! I'm thinking the 400's price will drop (if not just a little
bit at least) when the 550 comes out too.. ô_O

I guess only time will tell.. any official rls date?

Jan 12, 2003 at 6:14 AM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

Better go grab an IMP400 (or 350), because to get that long of a battery life, they MUST have cut back on the headphone amp output.

As far as i know, yes and no... more output obviously would mean a shorter battery life unless some kind of drastic measure is used (Digital Amp. for example), but I think how the decoding, DSP chips inside are implemented can actually have even more effect on the battery life. A Sharp MD player with dolby headphone will last twice as long or longer if the dolby heaphone is not used. Also I read that iRiver can really improve the battery life by simply putting a dedicated MP3 decoding chip that is not firmware upgradable, so that's probably what'll happen, a non-upgradable SlimX...hmm..

So my guess is that the new iRiver player actually could be a lower end model, just maybe...

Jan 12, 2003 at 6:57 PM Post #28 of 40
But who cares really about battery life? Who the hell goes on
70 hours plane flights or goes jogging for even 32 hours? I
personally just recharge my batteries as I come home (or more
likely when I go to bed so they're full when I wake up and I'm
fine for the day).

So iMP-400 it is
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back