The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz)
Mar 15, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #4,801 of 4,956
Essentially correct. If you wanted to add more detail, you could comment about the initial releases being detachable cable with a proprietary MMCX that displeased owners because the only cable upgrades were expensive, so VSonic released a fixed cable version with a supposedly better cable.

And yeah, I'm a little sad about the lack od a VSD3-2

Mar 15, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #4,802 of 4,956
Essentially correct. If you wanted to add more detail, you could comment about the initial releases being detachable cable with a proprietary MMCX that displeased owners because the only cable upgrades were expensive, so VSonic released a fixed cable version with a supposedly better cable.

And yeah, I'm a little sad about the lack od a VSD3-2

Well now that you've said that, I don't have to
biggrin.gif
. One does have to wonder if they're going to make a VSD3 gen-2 since it's a different sound signature than the VSD3S. It makes sense that gen-1 had each, so gen-2 should have each since they are both budget IEMs that cater to slightly different audiences.

Mar 21, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #4,805 of 4,956
Np broski

Pls link me the other reviews if there are any lol so far i've just seen 2 of you guys in this thread talk about it but I haven't seen any formal reviews

I asked tom (on a studentbudget) if he would review them lol

so that was YOU! yup i got them. (the new 2016 vsd3s)

in today. uploading the unboxing now. should be up soon.

listening wise they are not as bassy as the original vsd3s. closer in tuning to my gr07be

the mids are a bit drier and less congested because of the leaner bass

Mar 21, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #4,806 of 4,956
hey guys so i have been away for a long time! 

been busy with life and other commitments but i thought what better way to get back to the game, then with an unboxing of the Famous VSonic VSD3S btw i compared them in the video to the old versions (VSD3s), GR07BE, VSD5

no.... its not what your thinking.... This is the 2016 or GEN 2 model of the VSD3s!

with a different tuning and different cable! THANK GOD FOR THE L SHAPE JACK! 

anywayss! enjoy!!!

Apr 3, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #4,807 of 4,956
Just started listening to VSD3S v2. I've been listening to hybrids and multi-BA IEM for awhile, so it'll take a bit for me to acclimate. Right off the bat, I'll say that these are still warm IEM that retain clarity up top. Need to look more closely at the shells because I always had a "hot spot" or two with the older version but haven't had that issue with v2 yet. Strain reliefs, cinch, y-spkitter, plug are all rubber-coated, making them less slippery than the hard plastic used in the original. Plug and y-splitter/cinch are quite a bit bigger now and mimic the crystal cut shape of the shells. Happy they moved to a low-profile L-plug this time around. More to come as I play with these more, and a hearty thanks to LMUE for letting me take them for a test drive!

Apr 6, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #4,809 of 4,956
I went to Lend Me Ur Ears recently to try the VSD3S and got to compare the old vs the new versions. To my ears, these are the changes in sound I gathered from my demo:
- More prominent, thick and hard-hitting bass on new VSD3S
- Slightly wider sound stage (more 3-dimensional)

There's still sibilance on the new VSD3S, but because of the darker overall signature, I found it less bothersome on the new VSD3S than it is on the older one. That said, the sibilance is very slight and I personally didn't find it objectionable. It's much less sibilance than what the GR07 Bass Edition has, which I also tried that day.
I think the physical changes, specifically regarding the build quality, would be what does it for me. The new VSD3S is much better built, with better strain relief and a substantial rubber 90 degree plug instead of the dubious hard plastic straight one on the older.
Another note on build is that I noticed the older VSD3S demo unit had some driver flex on one of the ear pieces. No driver flex on the new VSD3S demo unit. Also, for some reason, I found the new VSD3S fit better in my ears but I'm not certain there are any significant physical changes to the ear pieces themselves.
Definitely think the new VSD3S is a worthy consideration for a fun V-shape sound on a budget. The build is much better, the bass, to my ears has more presence and more punch. It still retains that energetic treble section and the sound stage is slightly wider, making it very engaging. Sibilance is present,  but this may or may not be an issue for people, depending on their preferences. For the price, I think these are very hard to beat and I'm strongly considering getting one for myself.

Apr 9, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #4,810 of 4,956
I've been listening to a couple albums today with the fantastic new Shanling M5 -> VSD3S vs. VSD3S v2. I do t want to sound like a broken record, but I'd echo a lot of what SoundTown said. Compared to the old VSD3S, the revision has...

• More visceral bass response
  • Increased clarity
  • More natural, less diffuse soundstage
  • Improved build quality
  • Improved ergonomics

All of these add up to a substantial improvement over the original, which I thought was quite good for the price at the time it was released. I'm glad to see Vsonic followed-up with a solid, iterative release!

Apr 9, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #4,811 of 4,956
I've been listening to a couple albums today with the fantastic new Shanling M5 -> VSD3S vs. VSD3S v2. I do t want to sound like a broken record, but I'd echo a lot of what @SoundTown said. Compared to the old VSD3S, the revision has...

1. More visceral bass response
  2. Increased clarity
  3. More natural, less diffuse soundstage
  4. Improved build quality
  5. Improved ergonomics

All of these add up to a substantial improvement over the original, which I thought was quite good for the price at the time it was released. I'm glad to see Vsonic followed-up with a solid, iterative release!

So the ergonomics did change? I thought it looked like the same shell, but of course I'm simply judging based on pictures.

Apr 9, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #4,813 of 4,956
It looks exactly the same, but when I out the old VSD3S in my ear I get a "hot spot" pretty quickly that I don't get with the new version. Got the same "hot spot" with another pair of original VSD3S and also my VSD3, so either I got three off pai of the old version or something had changed because I can wear these for quite long periods with no discomfort.

Apr 11, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #4,814 of 4,956
It looks exactly the same, but when I out the old VSD3S in my ear I get a "hot spot" pretty quickly that I don't get with the new version. Got the same "hot spot" with another pair of original VSD3S and also my VSD3, so either I got three off pai of the old version or something had changed because I can wear these for quite long periods with no discomfort.

Man, I got to get me a pair now.

Apr 11, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #4,815 of 4,956
I've been listening to a couple albums today with the fantastic new Shanling M5 -> VSD3S vs. VSD3S v2. I do t want to sound like a broken record, but I'd echo a lot of what @SoundTown said. Compared to the old VSD3S, the revision has...

1. More visceral bass response
  2. Increased clarity
  3. More natural, less diffuse soundstage
  4. Improved build quality
  5. Improved ergonomics

You don't sound like a broken record to me, cos at least I know now that I ain't crazy and what I hear and feel aren't just things I imagined. XD
With all the changes in the right places, I might just get these if I ever decide to sell my Future Sonics Atrio MG7. The itch to try new stuff is real...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back