The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz)
Mar 4, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #4,291 of 4,956
  I guess they weren't sure about how successful each model would be (especially vsd3s). They must have played it safe that way.

Well they already manufactured each version so I don't see how having the same packaging could have been helpful anyway. It's very likely I'm alone in my opinions but I felt the product was premium-looking and feeling (removable cable, lovely angular shell design, etc.) at an unbelievably good price with great sound quality to boot. However, that one detail of not distinguishing the product with the paper insert made the packaging feel a little half-assed and cheap, a stark contrast to the rest of it before the removable cable almost literally hit the fan. It's details like that which reminded me that VSonic is by and large a cheap company. Not saying it's a bad thing, they make stellar IEMs that make it possible for even the most broke college student to enjoy a quality listening experience. What makes companies like them break out of the monotonous passing-by-company facade is the ability to deliver more than promised. They already do it on the SQ front IMO, but when they can make their packaging on par with the higher quality stuff their IEM SQ competes with, they truly become the achieving underdog competitor in all respects. Just my two cents.

Also, really sucks that they've had all these cable troubles with the VSD3/S. I had a VSD3S and it was quite good until the cable problem. I was certainly confident the jack wouldn't hold up though. They should've stuck with the L-jack like they had on the GR04, GR06, and GR07 before, it was much sturdier and better-relieved. I'll never understand the choice to go with a jack that has next to nothing for relief, especially when it's a straight jack. There are $10 IEMs that have better strain relief.

Mar 4, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #4,292 of 4,956
It's the strain relief on those straight jacks. There's very little stopping the cable from being pulled out with sufficient force, and the rigors of daily use will definitely eventually lead to a loosening of the cable joint, or some fraying of the cable itself.

I'm going to try to re-jack my VSD3S. I've done it on other IEMs before, going with heavier-duty, more relieved jacks.

Mar 4, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #4,293 of 4,956

Well they already manufactured each version so I don't see how having the same packaging could have been helpful anyway. It's very likely I'm alone in my opinions but I felt the product was premium-looking and feeling (removable cable, lovely angular shell design, etc.) at an unbelievably good price with great sound quality to boot. However, that one detail of not distinguishing the product with the paper insert made the packaging feel a little half-assed and cheap, a stark contrast to the rest of it before the removable cable almost literally hit the fan. It's details like that which reminded me that VSonic is by and large a cheap company. Not saying it's a bad thing, they make stellar IEMs that make it possible for even the most broke college student to enjoy a quality listening experience. What makes companies like them break out of the monotonous passing-by-company facade is the ability to deliver more than promised. They already do it on the SQ front IMO, but when they can make their packaging on par with the higher quality stuff their IEM SQ competes with, they truly become the achieving underdog competitor in all respects. Just my two cents.

Also, really sucks that they've had all these cable troubles with the VSD3/S. I had a VSD3S and it was quite good until the cable problem. I was certainly confident the jack wouldn't hold up though. They should've stuck with the L-jack like they had on the GR04, GR06, and GR07 before, it was much sturdier and better-relieved. I'll never understand the choice to go with a jack that has next to nothing for relief, especially when it's a straight jack. There are $10 IEMs that have better strain relief.

I got your point about the packaging and have to say that you make a valid point. Just teasing us with the stellar SQ and taking it away from us in a short span of time with that awful build quality; does anyone smell a conspiracy???

Jokes apart I wish there was a feasible solution to this problem. Recabling crossed my mind but is it worth spending more than the actual cost to get it done?

Mar 4, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #4,294 of 4,956
  I got your point about the packaging and have to say that you make a valid point. Just teasing us with the stellar SQ and taking it away from us in a short span of time with that awful build quality; does anyone smell a conspiracy???

Jokes apart I wish there was a feasible solution to this problem. Recabling crossed my mind but is it worth spending more than the actual cost to get it done?

Just venting some frustrations about these. The cable is a very unfortunate disappointment since everything in the housing is damn good for the price. I thought about the recabling thing too, but when the IEMs themselves cost less than $50, I don't feel like it's justified.

Mar 7, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #4,296 of 4,956
Anyone using the Audio Technica ATH-IM70s? Could anyone compare the VSD3S with them? 

i'll get back to you on that! but just to give a glimpse to what i'm thinking now, after owning the vsd3s basically since their release, i'm quite familiar with their sound. (they are one of the most used earphones in my collection)
i've only had the im70s for about 4-7 days (i forgot exactly)

below is just my thoughts without a/bing them side by side. so take everything i say below with a grain of salt

the im70 has a more extended and smoother treble. where as the vsd3s is more siblant in the lower treble especially but it does have a nice texture to the treble

imaging on the im70 is very 3D and depth is great, with a fairly wide soundstage.

the vsd3s has a much thicker bass and midrange. quite warm sounding

both have more forward vocals but i find the im70s for a lack of a better word "sweeter- sounding"

bass wise both are elevated above neutral, i think the im70s have MORE bass

both have good extension down low with the im70s seemingly have more rumble where as the vsd3s have more punch to the midbass

i'll report back once i get some more listening time comparing them but its certainly a comparison i had not thought of. (its a great idea tbh)

Mar 8, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #4,297 of 4,956
So I got the dead jack on my VSD3S replaced with a beefy, all-metal Neutrik jack, with a thick, soft and flexible rubber strain relief that flexes very compliantly with tugs of the cable at various angles. Very confidence-inspiring.

Total cost, for the jack itself and the repairer's labour charges, was 350 Indian Rupees, which equates to roughly 5 US dollars. Wonder how much it would really cost VSonic to just supply a better jack stock with the VSD3S. The manufacturing cost would increase by what, a dollar or two?

Come on, VSonic.

Mar 8, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #4,298 of 4,956
  So I got the dead jack on my VSD3S replaced with a beefy, all-metal Neutrik jack, with a thick, soft and flexible rubber strain relief that flexes very compliantly with tugs of the cable at various angles. Very confidence-inspiring.

Total cost, for the jack itself and the repairer's labour charges, was 350 Indian Rupees, which equates to roughly 5 US dollars. Wonder how much it would really cost VSonic to just supply a better jack stock with the VSD3S. The manufacturing cost would increase by what, a dollar or two?

Come on, VSonic.

Where are you from in India? I'm looking to get this done myself. Did you have to buy the jack separately or..... 

Mar 8, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #4,300 of 4,956
  Where are you from in India? I'm looking to get this done myself. Did you have to buy the jack separately or..... 

@DanielKRego I want to do this.Tell me where in Mumbai :D

PS : What happened to your gr07 mkii ? Still alive and kicking ?  

I got this done at 'Electronic Emporium', off Lamington Road, on the first floor of a building called Vijay Chambers, opposite 'Dreamland Cinema'. The guy's name is Jerry. The jack is a Neutrik that he has in store.

I lost my GR07 MkII somewhere on tour somewhere in India. I don't even remember where, but I left it on a bus, IIRC.

Mar 8, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #4,303 of 4,956
I actually don't miss the GR07 MkII all that much, after I got the VSD3S. With some EQing (mainly a dip in the mid-bass and a bit of a push in the upper midrange), the VSD3S sounds even better than the GR07 MkII sounded to me, particularly in terms of realistic weight of percussion and bass instruments.

Mar 9, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #4,304 of 4,956
Thinking of DIY this neutrik right Angeled jack for my vsd3.I can sauter, but am unsure of how vsonic color codes the wire... :0
@danielkrego
You think jerry would mind if I asked? Lmao
http://www.tradeindia.com/Seller-6799457-JERRY-NORONHA-ELECTRONIC-EMPORIUM/#contact

Mar 9, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #4,305 of 4,956

Come on, VSonic.

That looks so much nicer! It can't possibly be that much more for VSonic to do something like that. If an aftermarket vendor can do that for $5 (let's be honest aftermarket vendors have huge markups, it's just part of the business model), parts and labor must be quite low and should be easily doable for VSonic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back