The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz)
Sep 16, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #2,912 of 4,956

Good to know, but it's still a pretty big 'oversight'. If a dollar store IEM can have basic and useful strain reliefs, then why leave them out for a more expensive item. It adds value, and costs next to nothing to add to the cable.

I bought these knowing they did not have a strain relief, however the cables are not overly flexible so they will definitely break. The ClarityOne EB110 has the same issue.

Well, the thing is that with detachable cables which already have quite protruding connectors a strain relief can make things even bulkier. Also either the cable would become thinner or the connector would become bulkier to accommodate the extra space needed for proper reliefs, so it's not really like the clarity one, which doesn't have a detachable cable. Also, it doesn't really add value for the manufacturers - it's better for them if you go and buy a new cable from them. 

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #2,913 of 4,956

Good to know, but it's still a pretty big 'oversight'. If a dollar store IEM can have basic and useful strain reliefs, then why leave them out for a more expensive item. It adds value, and costs next to nothing to add to the cable.

I bought these knowing they did not have a strain relief, however the cables are not overly flexible so they will definitely break. The ClarityOne EB110 has the same issue.

I found this while digging around http://www.head-fi.org/t/708345/how-can-i-add-stress-relief-to-headphones

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #2,914 of 4,956
Tom22 and peter123

Thank you for the eartips tips... It did a huge difference! Just what I needed.

I took some eartips with a wider hole and BAMM!!! Vocals jump out, cymbals and bass proeminence got a little lay back and better definition (especially on sub bass).

It sacrifices a bit of outside isolation, but allows higher volume.

Thanks from Brazil guys! It helped a lot! Loving the vsd3s now.

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #2,915 of 4,956
  Well, the thing is that with detachable cables which already have quite protruding connectors a strain relief can make things even bulkier. Also either the cable would become thinner or the connector would become bulkier to accommodate the extra space needed for proper reliefs, so it's not really like the clarity one, which doesn't have a detachable cable. Also, it doesn't really add value for the manufacturers - it's better for them if you go and buy a new cable from them.

It doesn't have to make things bulkier; not at all. They could have easily extended the rubber surrounding the connector a few extra mm to make a very simple yet effective relief. There is no excuse for the plug. Look at their own GR01 to see an example of simple, compact, and effective cable relief design.

When I mentioned value, I was speaking from the consumer's perspective. However, on that note I would say it adds value for the manufacturer as well. A delicate cable is a deal-breaker for many (cough EB110 cough) and can result in lost sales, even if it is replaceable. I'm guessing VSonic still doesn't have replacement cables readily available (their web page is still a little barren)?

Don't take this post as bashing these IEMs or VSonic. They sound amazing, have a great design, are comfortable, offer great accessories, are packaged well, etc., but the lack of strain reliefs is a major flaw on what is otherwise a nearly flawless offering. It just seems silly to make such a great product with an easily avoidable problem. I like the idea of replaceable cables because, well, accidents happen and things get old. I don't want to have to replace them due to poor/lazy design.

Sep 16, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #2,916 of 4,956
It doesn't have to make things bulkier; not at all. They could have easily extended the rubber surrounding the connector a few extra mm to make a very simple yet effective relief. There is no excuse for the plug. Look at their own GR01 to see an example of simple, compact, and effective cable relief design.

When I mentioned value, I was speaking from the consumer's perspective. However, on that note I would say it adds value for the manufacturer as well. A delicate cable is a deal-breaker for many (cough EB110 cough) and can result in lost sales, even if it is replaceable. I'm guessing VSonic still doesn't have replacement cables readily available (their web page is still a little barren)?

Don't take this post as bashing these IEMs or VSonic. They sound amazing, have a great design, are comfortable, offer great accessories, are packaged well, etc., but the lack of strain reliefs is a major flaw on what is otherwise a nearly flawless offering. It just seems silly to make such a great product with an easily avoidable problem. I like the idea of replaceable cables because, well, accidents happen and things get old. I don't want to have to replace them due to poor/lazy design.

Heat shrink should work well for straight jack .....but if the jack is L shaped ...then heat shrink tubing will not work brcause you need bigger tubing to go through the L connector ...

Sep 17, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #2,917 of 4,956
Can you even buy a replacement Vsonic brand cable? I mean for Western members, I know Kova linked one a page back but how do we get one?

It kind of defeats the entire purpose of making an earphone with detachable cables if you can't buy a replacement beside after market cables.

Yes, I'm well aware there several options on eBay from all kinds of random sellers but lets hypothetically say I want  replacement Vsonic cable for my VDS3S.

Where do I order please?

Edit: Right, here they are on MisterTao: http://www.mistertao.com/beta/search?keyword=vsd3s&cn_keyword=vsd3s&type=all

(scroll down)

I still don't see a simple replacement stock cable though that comes on the VDS3S standard.

Sep 17, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #2,920 of 4,956
  Can you even buy a replacement Vsonic brand cable? I mean for Western members, I know Kova linked one a page back but how do we get one?

It kind of defeats the entire purpose of making an earphone with detachable cables if you can't buy a replacement beside after market cables.

Yes, I'm well aware there several options on eBay from all kinds of random sellers but lets hypothetically say I want  replacement Vsonic cable for my VDS3S.

Where do I order please?

Edit: Right, here they are on MisterTao: http://www.mistertao.com/beta/search?keyword=vsd3s&cn_keyword=vsd3s&type=all

(scroll down)

I still don't see a simple replacement stock cable though that comes on the VDS3S standard.

Not that I'm aware of.  Personally, I would only trust lunashops with replacement cables (already pinged then numerous times about vsd3x).  The problem is that VSonic is NOT using a standard universal mmcx connector but rather their own proprietary version of it.  None of the Shure (SE series) or Westone (UM or W series) or UE900 cables will work with VSD3x.  So you have to be careful with other sellers claiming they can support it because they might be using a standard mmcx connector.

Sep 17, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #2,921 of 4,956

Not that I'm aware of.  Personally, I would only trust lunashops with replacement cables (already pinged then numerous times about vsd3x).  The problem is that VSonic is NOT using a standard universal mmcx connector but rather their own proprietary version of it.  None of the Shure (SE series) or Westone (UM or W series) or UE900 cables will work with VSD3x.  So you have to be careful with other sellers claiming they can support it because they might be using a standard mmcx connector.

Ok wow, that just threw a spanner into the works. Well we can get the upgrade version but it's almost the cost of a VDS3 anyway. That's kind of my point here, you can't just buy a replacement stock cable for an earphone designed especially for that feature. You would think lendmeurears or Penon would stock them.

Do you know what I mean? Defeats the entire purpose imo.

I know we're all probably going to  be fine, but we need to create this scenario. 

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #2,922 of 4,956

i know what you mean but vsonic like all companies want you to keep buying their products. profits man! because if they make a super rugged cable which im sure they can for cheap, people would have their vsd3s/ vsd3 for years. and their already cheap already so that will completely mess with the entire market. they have to do something to make their product in a sense "come back to earth". 

because aside from the cables i really can see myself using my vsd3s for years and be very happy. which would make vsonic cry =(

Sep 18, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #2,925 of 4,956
  Has anyone done a good comparison of these with the GR07? If so, can these stand up to them and how are they different?

A few members did some brief comparisons in this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/669510/the-new-iem-of-vsonic-vsd-3s-impression-updated-by-smailbz/2790#post_10862120
http://www.head-fi.org/t/669510/the-new-iem-of-vsonic-vsd-3s-impression-updated-by-smailbz/2730#post_10853094

I'm sure there are others, just search GR07 within this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back