The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz)
Jul 10, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #1,864 of 4,956
The shallower fit offers better treble extension and a more airy soundstage.. 

Great call on this. I hadn't bothered with the larger tips because they almost never work for me, but you're absolutely right. They really help to open things up even more and I can still hear treble details I missed with shallower medium tips from other brands. Thanks for the thoughts.

Jul 10, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #1,865 of 4,956
I'm sure Vsonic will announce the replaceable cables soon if not there's no point at all to implement replaceable cables for their VSD series

They alrady announced them a couple of weeks ago and they've been in available for pre-order in China. They are supposed to be available on 30th this month.

As far as the tips go, I prefer the stock medium single flange tips. Deeper inserting tips reduce the treble and make the sound more congested and tri-flanges were the worst severely decreasing the treble presence. On the other hand, shallower fit than the stock single flanges while making the sound a bit more air it makes it lose some of its focus. But yeah, given that the medium size will probably be small for a good seal for some people the large stock single flanges will probably be the next best choice.

Regarding the question about gr02be, while I haven't heard in quite a while, by memory its bass was bigger but softer on the impact. The mids were the the thing I liked the least in gr02be - V-shaped, dry and kinda grainy. Vsd3s' mids are also laid back but they are smoother and have a very good natural tone. Gr02be was pretty aggressive in the lower treble region and IMO borderline harsh and tiring while at moderate volume vsd3 is actually decently smooth and inoffensive without lacking too much in treble energy in comparison. For me vsd3s is easily superior - more balanced and refined sounding with better balance overall and open and very easy to listen to sound. 

Jul 10, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #1,866 of 4,956
  They alrady announced them a couple of weeks ago and they've been in available for pre-order in China. They are supposed to be available on 30th this month.

As far as the tips go, I prefer the stock medium single flange tips. Deeper inserting tips reduce the treble and make the sound more congested and tri-flanges were the worst severely decreasing the treble presence. On the other hand, shallower fit than the stock single flanges while making the sound a bit more air it makes it lose some of its focus. But yeah, given that the medium size will probably be small for a good seal for some people the large stock single flanges will probably be the next best choice.

Regarding the question about gr02be, while I haven't heard in quite a while, by memory its bass was bigger but softer on the impact. The mids were the the thing I liked the least in gr02be - V-shaped, dry and kinda grainy. Vsd3s' mids are also laid back but they are smoother and have a very good natural tone. Gr02be was pretty aggressive in the lower treble region and IMO borderline harsh and tiring while at moderate volume vsd3 is actually decently smooth and inoffensive without lacking too much in treble energy in comparison. For me vsd3s is easily superior - more balanced and refined sounding with better balance overall and open and very easy to listen to sound. 

Thank you for the short review comparison. In summary it seems that VSD3S is superior in all aspect compared to GR02BE since it has balance and stronger natural sounding, except of course the bass part.

If i cannot get red-blue VSD3 then it seems VSD3S is also acceptable

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #1,867 of 4,956

Thanks for the info mochill & kova4a...just in time when I receive my VSD3S...in case I break my cable soon enough 
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #1,868 of 4,956
Sometimes i read http://www.weibo.com/vsonicceo to see if there are news about VSD5.
Now google translate shows this:
 I was such an attitude, spent so much money on the development of products for the domestic word, all the materials are imported at any cost, how much money is in itself no earned overseas are in favor, but the Chinese people in this black. After your own headphones do it, the microblogging Close comments. In addition to individual New Hair Weibo, the other I do not send too much. I did my best, I do not rely on this to make money, do not like do not buy! 88 
color]
on the Chinese market disappointment

Maybe now they will start to priorize the external market?

Jul 10, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #1,869 of 4,956
I wanted to know whether it is worth it to get a proper source/DAP like the FiiO X3/X5 when the best set of IEMs I'll be using with them (for now) are Vsonic VSD3S? My current source is just my Sony Xperia SP handset. Budget is an issue because of which I'm a bit weary. But as I'v come to realise over the years, this IS an expensive hobby to maintain :-/

Jul 10, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #1,870 of 4,956
What you could do if you were a bit strapped for cash is get a Sansa+, I've heard good things about it and it has brilliant specs for a player so small. Or you could get a decent sounding Android phone when you're next buying a phone and kill two birds with one stone. A Nexus 5, any decent Samsung Galaxy or the HTC One will sound good.

Jul 10, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #1,872 of 4,956
  I wanted to know whether it is worth it to get a proper source/DAP like the FiiO X3/X5 when the best set of IEMs I'll be using with them (for now) are Vsonic VSD3S? My current source is just my Sony Xperia SP handset. Budget is an issue because of which I'm a bit weary. But as I'v come to realise over the years, this IS an expensive hobby to maintain :-/

X5 + VSD3S is more than a JH5 or 1964 Ears V3, I've never heard it but I guess it's much better than a VSD3 with the best DAP avaliable.
If phone baterry isn't an issue I would get any of these CIEM and be happy forever, if baterry is an issue I would get any Sansa with them. 

X3 may be interesting because you can use it to power some power hungry headphones, but X5 is too expensive for an VSD3S
IMO  
beerchug.gif

Jul 10, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #1,873 of 4,956

I'm sure someone will disagree, but simply no, it isn't worth it.

Getting a "proper source/dap" is key for a lot of phones, even a number of cheaper ones, and to get the ABSOLUTE MOST out of the vsd3s (which ive had for a week and a half now) a proper source could help. However, is it worth it to eek out a small bit more out of these very affordable (cheap) headphones? No, it is not worth it, especially if budget is an issue at all. If the question was to get the best sound of the vsd3s, then sure, a proper source/dap may help with that.

Jul 10, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #1,874 of 4,956
  What you could do if you were a bit strapped for cash is get a Sansa+, I've heard good things about it and it has brilliant specs for a player so small. Or you could get a decent sounding Android phone when you're next buying a phone and kill two birds with one stone. A Nexus 5, any decent Samsung Galaxy or the HTC One will sound good.

I did think about getting the Clip+, but it's price in India is ~80$, not worth buying it here. And yes, that IS a good idea, but I dunno when I'll be replacing my phone, it's just been 1.5 years since I splurged on it 
confused_face_2.gif

Best source I own is the dx90 then my zx1:blush:,plus can't wait for the vsd5
popcorn.gif

Good going, donate me one 
tongue.gif

X5 + VSD3S is more than a JH5 or 1964 Ears V3, I've never heard it but I guess it's much better than a VSD3 with the best DAP avaliable.
If phone baterry isn't an issue I would get any of these CIEM and be happy forever, if baterry is an issue I would get any Sansa with them. 

X3 may be interesting because you can use it to power some power hungry headphones, but X5 is too expensive for an VSD3S
IMO  
beerchug.gif

Hahaha, I'm in India, dunno how I'm gonna source those CIEMs. Don't think I'll ever get Headphones, need the portability. I guess I'll just have to wait...

I'm sure someone will disagree, but simply no, it isn't worth it.

Getting a "proper source/dap" is key for a lot of phones, even a number of cheaper ones, and to get the ABSOLUTE MOST out of the vsd3s (which ive had for a week and a half now) a proper source could help. However, is it worth it to eek out a small bit more out of these very affordable (cheap) headphones? No, it is not worth it, especially if budget is an issue at all. If the question was to get the best sound of the vsd3s, then sure, a proper source/dap may help with that.

Yep, budget is an issue, wouldn'tve bothered asking here otherwise. Though what you say does seem right. The gain in quality probably won't be worth it for a cheap set... 

So I guess I'll hold on with my phone as the source, and upgrade my IEMs to a decent level before going in for a DAP...

Thanks a lot guys, these are things I know, but need someone to reinforce them so I don't go out emptying my hole riddled pocket 
etysmile.gif

Jul 10, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #1,875 of 4,956
TBH your phone probably has good SQ anyway, the Xperias generally do and its Android so there's a multitude of EQ and tweak apps you can get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back