The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz)
Jul 2, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #1,607 of 4,956
  Ok, so my vsd3s now has 100+ hours of burn-in and I did some quite extensive tip rolling (in the end I think the stock single flanges are the best sounding), so you can expect some more in-depth impressions by the end of the week (might be even tonight if something else doesn't pop-up).

Awesome. Looking forward to it. 
  And where can we order these new IEMs? VSD5 for example. Vsonics own homepage dont mention anything about these new IEMs.

You can get them from Lend Me Ur Ears or Penon Audio. Eventually you'll be able to find them on amazon and the like, but for the first few months, overseas is your only option. The VSD5 has been held up by manufacturing shortages, so it hasn't been available for preorder yet. LMUE is getting in some stock of VSD3S this week, so check their Facebook for updates.

Jul 2, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #1,608 of 4,956
  Ok, so my vsd3s now has 100+ hours of burn-in and I did some quite extensive tip rolling (in the end I think the stock single flanges are the best sounding), so you can expect some more in-depth impressions by the end of the week (might be even tonight if something else doesn't pop-up).

Can't wait! This will probably either kill the hype or fuel it some more haha

Jul 2, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #1,609 of 4,956
My pair should arrive today so I will post some initial impressions tonight of I have time.

Jul 2, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #1,612 of 4,956
For those looking for comparison against the Xiaomi Pistons, keep in mind they are open back IEMs (they don't isolate that well) to some extend is not fair to make a decent comparison. The whole purpose of IEMs is to isolate a bit from the noisy environment IMO and if you don't really need isolation I don't see why would anybody prefer IEMs against full size headphones. The hard part of designing headphones are precisely making a good sound out of so many reflective surfaces in a tiny closed enclosure.

Jul 2, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #1,613 of 4,956
  For those looking for comparison against the Xiaomi Pistons, keep in mind they are open back IEMs (they don't isolate that well) to some extend is not fair to make a decent comparison. The whole purpose of IEMs is to isolate a bit from the noisy environment IMO and if you don't really need isolation I don't see why would anybody prefer IEMs against full size headphones. The hard part of designing headphones are precisely making a good sound out of so many reflective surfaces in a tiny closed enclosure.

Well, obviously one won't compare iems on the subway but in a quite environment at home where isolation doesn't matter. Anyway, calling the pistons open back is kinda ridiculous - more of a small vent hole covered with mesh and the pistons aren't that affected if you seal that. And honestly the whole purpose of iems and earbuds is portability and comfort. You can sleep with iems, your ears don't get sweaty, you can carry them in your pocket, they can be hanging under your shirt etc. All things you can't do with full-size cans and there are a lot of cans that isolate vey well coz it's not like all of them are open-back, just me 2 cents

Jul 2, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #1,614 of 4,956

Full sized headphones are large, bulky, impractical in the gym and for travel; and for some of us, uncomfortable.  I don't like the feel of them resting on my head for long periods of time.

Jul 2, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #1,615 of 4,956
OK, first blush the VSD3S is not bad sounding IEM that has a bit bloomy sounding bass out of the box with decent mids and slightly shrill/tinny sounding treble for cymbals. There is a bit of hollowness to the signature that will hopefully fill out with time.

They are very comfortable in my ears but I quickly switched the tips to one of my UE tips. I also tried the Sony hybrid tips as it helped tame the treble a bit.

It is to early to say whether these are giant killers or not and if so to what price point.

I will now let these cook for a couple of days to see what happens.

BTW they do Rush Red Barchetta pretty good (listening as I type) a bit hot but the bass is not bad and Geddy Lee's voice doesn't sound to shrill, guitars have a nice crunch to them.

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #1,616 of 4,956
Just switched to my computer where I do my burnin run. Really like their synergy with my Audio Engine D1 DAC. Listening to Patricia Barber's Code Cool and get a definite sibilance from the song but she really does enunciate the S sound so is a good test for this issue. Bass is tighter with the better amplification, cymbals also have less tinny sound.

Song that followed is Adam Lamberts version of Whole Lotta Love and the song is a bit of a hot mess with lots of sibilance.

Time to let these cook and see what happens...

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #1,617 of 4,956
Sometimes it's not harshness or a treble peak due to the headphones; sometimes (or often?) it's the microphones clipping and causing distortion. A good quality headphone will just reveal this distortion.

Having said that, it does seem like the vsonics are a bit bright and peaky out of the box. Or, detailed and revealing, depending upon your preference. :)

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #1,618 of 4,956
Looking back on my vsd1s when first time hear it,it has slightly harsh on upper freq region,maybe it's happening again on vsd3s

Jul 2, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #1,619 of 4,956
  Well, obviously one won't compare iems on the subway but in a quite environment at home where isolation doesn't matter. Anyway, calling the pistons open back is kinda ridiculous - more of a small vent hole covered with mesh and the pistons aren't that affected if you seal that. And honestly the whole purpose of iems and earbuds is portability and comfort. You can sleep with iems, your ears don't get sweaty, you can carry them in your pocket, they can be hanging under your shirt etc. All things you can't do with full-size cans and there are a lot of cans that isolate vey well coz it's not like all of them are open-back, just me 2 cents

I admit I exaggerated the open back part (my apologies) but I still think the main selling point of IEMs should be good isolation, comfort and sound quality. I thought about getting a pair, but I don't need them to be honest :) Does anybody knows where to buy an original pair shipped to Canada?

EDIT: I also prefer IEMs in general. 

Jul 2, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #1,620 of 4,956
I admit I exaggerated the open back part (my apologies) but I still think the main selling point of IEMs should be good isolation, comfort and sound quality. I thought about getting a pair, but I don't need them to be honest :) Does anybody knows where to buy an original pair shipped to Canada?

EDIT: I also prefer IEMs in general. 

Yes, All the three that you demand are there for its price......penonaudio have them on sale and they are trusted seller......btw,you said you dont need them but you still inquired about getting original shipped to Can?:confused_face_2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back