The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz)
Sep 23, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #3,001 of 4,956
*if the cable material (metal) is of decent quality silver then the $35 USD price tag is not too bad. People spend hundreds upon hundreds for a pure silver cable. Considering copper is standard then SPC (silver plated) the most expensive and claimed to be preferred option is silver. **In my shoes I would pay the $10 USD, save the double handling sending the item back for a replacement. You can cut the time in half by purchasing the cable have it come one way and apparently 'upgrade"

*** In your reply, do you mind asking when they will sell this cable to public?

* yes Its gonna be SPC for sure,as far as the conductor is concerned,neither outdated OFC nor pure silver,considering the price,more like FiiO's after market cables for UE,westone and shure IEMs......
** yes thats the best I wld do (wisely)....
*** - +1.....

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #3,002 of 4,956
if the cable material (metal) is of decent quality silver then the $35 USD price tag is not too bad. People spend hundreds upon hundreds for a pure silver cable. Considering copper is standard then SPC (silver plated) the most expensive and claimed to be preferred option is silver. In my shoes I would pay the $10 USD, save the double handling sending the item back for a replacement. You can cut the time in half by purchasing the cable have it come one way and apparently 'upgrade"

In your reply, do you mind asking when they will sell this cable to public?

Yeah after they reply to my previous inquiry don't want to flood them when they're being so awesome. And yeah I'm glad I went with them instead of LMUE just for the blue version. I'm or the same opinion that I'd rather be stuck with a half-working cable and paying $10 for a better cable then just shipping in my ear buds and waiting two weeks.

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #3,003 of 4,956
* yes Its gonna be SPC for sure,as far as the conductor is concerned,neither outdated OFC nor pure silver,considering the price,more like FiiO's after market cables for UE,westone and shure IEMs......
** yes thats the best I wld do (wisely)....
*** - +1.....

I asked Penon last week if the stock cable on VSD3S is silver plated, their reply was 'yes'. The reason I asked was because similar to a GR07 MK2 cable you can see little swirls through it - if you check your VSD3S cable there's little lines through it squiggling along the cable.

So I'm going with the upgrade cable ($35 one) being pure silver. I'm fairly confident Penon were correct when I asked them, along with the lines I can see in the VSD3S cable. To confirm again I will ask lendmeurears for another confirmation on that.

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #3,004 of 4,956
I asked Penon last week if the stock cable on VSD3S is silver plated, their reply was 'yes'. The reason I asked was because similar to a GR07 MK2 cable you can see little swirls through it - if you check your VSD3S cable there's little lines through it squiggling along the cable.

So I'm going with the upgrade cable ($35 one) being pure silver. I'm fairly confident Penon were correct when I asked them, along with the lines I can see in the VS3S cable. To confirm again I will ask lendmeurears for another confirmation on that.

Sure....thats so nice. :wink:

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #3,005 of 4,956

So I'm going with the upgrade cable ($35 one) being pure silver. I'm fairly confident Penon were correct when I asked them, along with the lines I can see in the VS3S cable. To confirm again I will ask lendmeurears for another confirmation on that.

Nah, might be silver-plated with a bit more silver but no one will be making a pure silver cable for 30 bucks. 

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #3,006 of 4,956
  Nah, might be silver-plated with a bit more silver but no one will be making a pure silver cable for 30 bucks. 

See the thing is here, it's no uncommon for Vsonic to produce their products with silver plated cable unlike other manufacturers.
'
VC1000 comes 'stock' with SPC, GR07 MK2 the same. And so Penon have confirmed the VSD3.

So why is this new cable an upgrade? Because they added 'a little more silver' ?

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #3,007 of 4,956

yeah,1m single core pure silver is times ~3-6 of vsonic offering and 3 channels will be more than that.....for a standard 1.2m lengh......

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #3,008 of 4,956
Rather than scratch my rear end debating the subject lets see what they say.

There's no point continuing until we have an answer.

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #3,009 of 4,956

See the thing is here, it's no uncommon for Vsonic to produce their products with silver plated cable unlike other manufacturers.
'
VC1000 comes 'stock' with SPC, GR07 MK2 the same. And so Penon have confirmed the VSD3.

So why is this new cable an upgrade? Because they added 'a little more silver' ?

As I told you before, I still need more proof that the stock cable isn't ofc copper besides penon saying "yes, it is". Also, the upgrade might have more strands, could be harder to make or more expensive due to having more silver in, could be a low-grade silver mixed with copper. But pure silver implies at least 99.9% silver, which is higher grade than the silver used for jewelry. A 2-inch IC cable with pure silver for 30 bucks - yeah, possible, but a full length pure silver headphone cable for 30 bucks is highly unlikely even from vsonic

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #3,010 of 4,956
  As I told you before, I still need more proof that the stock cable isn't ofc copper besides penon saying "yes, it is". Also, the upgrade might have more strands, could be harder to make or more expensive due to having more silver in, could be a low-grade silver mixed with copper. But pure silver implies at least 99.9% silver, which is higher grade than the silver used for jewelry. A 2-inch IC cable with pure silver for 30 bucks - yeah, possible, but a full length pure silver headphone cable for 30 bucks is highly unlikely even from vsonic

Just like when the biocellulose debate was going on in the GR07 Classic thread.

Oh the memories........

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #3,011 of 4,956
Rather than scratch my rear end debating the subject lets see what they say.

There's no point continuing until we have an answer.

I think its a little healthy argument than debating......the thing is it cannot be pure silver wire for the price.....BUT im pretty damn sure the stock cable of vsd3/S is a OFC cable.....thats how Vsonic/any mfr can do justice for a quality budget nice sounding IEM with acceptable bells and whistles and a velvet pouch for $36,PO price and current price......

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #3,012 of 4,956

Just like when the biocellulose debate was going on in the GR07 Classic thread.

Oh the memories........

Well, that debate was started due to the issues between China and Japan. It was always a speculation whether they have stocks or another way to supply the diaphragms. In this case it's purely based on the price. Vsonic should be making cables for the fans without any profit and probably not paying to the workers in the factory to be able to sell a $30 pure silver cable.

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #3,013 of 4,956
As Arnold Schwarzenegger would say "I'll be back" For now you two have fun.
wink_face.gif

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #3,014 of 4,956
As Arnold Schwarzenegger would say "I'll be back" For now you two have fun. :wink_face:  

LoL :wink: lets hope to see a response from them before the release of vsd7 with no more than 5 reminders, for the cable conductor.....tho we wld get a response abt availabilty to public response, in a timely fashion..... :D

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #3,015 of 4,956
I'm afraid things can get "lost in translation".  Yes, it's a pure speculation and wishful thinking, even so I'm very fond of Penonaudio commitment and service (those guys are truly among the best!).  Based on the $30 price tag of silver-plated OFC cables from FiiO (i have RC-SE1) and silver-plated ofc cable from Lunashops (i have a few for ATH-IMxx series and waiting for ue900/w40 replacement with a standard mmcx connector) - I would make an intelligent guess that VSonic is talking about silver-plated OFC, and since they (and their CEO) like to hype things up, Penonaudio might be going by what they hear from VSonic.  1.2m pure silver cable can't possible cost $30-$35
wink.gif
  My feeling (NOT a FACT) is that current VSonic model uses a regular OFC cable with a cleverly wrapped wires to make it look like silver-plated.  The replacement for $35 will be silver-plated wire.

I will ping Penon as well, for confirmation, and also will measure impedance (resistance) of VSonic original wire and my other silver-plated wires.

Another note, probably based on my personal sound preference, silver-plated cable is great if you have a warmer/darker source and warmer IEMs since it does brightens a sound (due to improved conductivity and lower resistance).  So for example, it will be a noticeable improvement using X1 DAP with VSD3 and updated cable.  Using X5 DAP with VSD3S and updated cable will push it closer to sibilance threshold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back