The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz)
Jul 20, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #2,132 of 4,956
Well, apparently as soon as they have the parts for it

so maybe november or dezember 
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 20, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #2,134 of 4,956
Sounds pretty good playing Mark Fell's Multistability! Again, nice bass with visceral impact without being overwhelming. Mids seems a bit laid back. High end is nice. Only thing I'm really yearning for is better soundstage - but pretty good for the price point :smile:.

Should get VSD3 and Altone200 early this week and will see what I like best :wink:.

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #2,137 of 4,956
Not sure which tips you're using but the large tips with a shallow insertion open it up a bit at the cost of some punch. Might see if that works for you. 

Thanks for the tip - pun intended :wink:. I took time to listen to the same tracks(360) 426-8343 I listened to yesterday and today - Iron Maiden, Mark Fell, Senking, and Sigur Ros. The stock L tips help expand the soundstage and tighten up the bass a bit for me - definitely an improvement.

I do notice a slight tendency towards sibilance / tizzy-ness no matter which tips I use. Other than that, I like the high end and expect that tendency to calm down according to comments along this thread.

I also notice that with bass heavy music, they tend to sound a bit bloated. With sub-bass heavy music like Senking, they try valiantly to keep up but just can't handle the gobs of sub-bass. It becomes a bit of a mess, and I don't think I'd recommend them for this type of music unless burn-in games the mid-bass a bit and enhances sub-bass response.

At least the L tips tip puts me in a good starting place for trying my VSD3 when they arrive this week. Curious how the low end compares. If it's just more quantity, I'll be disappointed. If it's better tighter with better extension while retaining the positive aspects of mids and highs, I'll be a happy camper :smile:.

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #2,138 of 4,956
The link for VSD3S red-blue pair is still up to now even after more than 24 hours 
gs1000.gif

Do they overstock or many people prefer to choose the black one than this red-blue?

And a new unboxing video is also coming out to compare VSD3 vs VSD3S (credit to website LMUE)
 http://youtu.be/JaDwU345oIU

And my pair is still has not arrived yet. It has been 11 days since i put my order on July 10 in LMUE
frown.gif

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #2,139 of 4,956
Lachlan's text review:

I recently got both versions of the new $50 VSonic IEMs, the Vsonic VSD-3 and VSD-3S, during the flash salehttp://www.lendmeurears.com/ was doing a few days ago. While I've been listening to the VSD-3 since Wednesday I've only had two days with the VSD-3S. But I feel like they are similar enough that I can offer some comparison between the two for anyone who wants to order and is tossing up between the two.

They sound quite similar. Both are rich and warm in sound, with sound that is mostly dominated by bass and the midrange, though treble extension and texture is by no means missing. They are also both very capable earphones, and while they don't seem to have the tightness to the bass and texturing / detail that the GR07 have, they come close at a fraction of the price and with better noise isolation.

The owner of Lend Me Ur Ears (who speaks with the VSonic CEO) reached out to me to let me know that the VSD3S is tuned to be more balanced, while the VSD3 is heavier on the bass. Apparently the original target sound was the Westone 4R for the VSD-3S and the Shure SE535 for the VSD-3, but that may have been changed during development.

From what I can hear, the biggest difference between the VSD3 and the VSD3-S is in the upper mids / lower treble. While the VSD-3S has a relatively smooth vocal section (and I think the 'S' should be thought of as standing for 'smooth') the VSD3 seems to have more of a peak in the vocals. This peak doesn't seem necessarily to be in the sibilant S or the SH frequencies so much as lower in the frequency range where female vocals are.

There may be differences in bass as well (though nothing immediately jumps out at me) but the vocal presentation immediately strikes me as quite different.

As a result the VSD 3 sounds more lively and aggressive than the VSD 3S. Vocals are more forward, the sound is more brilliant and glossy, but I also think the VSD 3 also sounds more artificial as a result. The VSD 3S sounds more mellow and laid back to me, and to my ears more natural. But again as I said they sound very similar, and they are both 'fun' sounding IEMs. I think of them as less boomy versions of the SE215. They aren't as tight and controlled as the GR07, but they certainly aren't the mess that the $50 pricepoint might lead you to expect.

Given that they are both well priced, with good noise isolation and detachable cables, I think VSonic has produced a hit. Keep in mind the earpieces are very large though, and may not suit people with smaller outer ears.

Other then that caveat, I think I can easily recommend these even based on a few days of listening, as long as no horrible build quality issues pop up over the next few weeks. I actually think for many people who only want to own the one earphone and don't want to spend megabucks, this is the one to grab.

TLDR: VSD 3S is more mellow, VSD 3 has more forward vocals and seems more aggressive overall. Both sound similar, both sound great.

Interesting that the vocals are the big difference, but again very similar. Great review. 

Jul 21, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #2,141 of 4,956
Hmm, it's interesting that the VSD3 has more forward vocals. I expected it would be more laid back at least in the lower mids or probably only the female vocals are more pronounced? 
Also kinda interesting that he considers them very large as I would say they are about average. There are a lot bigger housings out there and I have plenty of spare room in my ears

And now I also see I'm turning into J. Jonah Jameson with all these gray hairs coming in 
rolleyes.gif

Jul 21, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #2,142 of 4,956
  Hmm, it's interesting that the VSD3 has more forward vocals. I expected it would be more laid back at least in the lower mids or probably only the female vocals are more pronounced? 
Also kinda interesting that he considers them very large as I would say they are about average. There are a lot bigger housings out there and I have plenty of spare room in my ears

And now I also see I'm turning into J. Jonah Jameson with all these gray hairs coming in 
rolleyes.gif

Join the club, didn't realize I got grays on my sides until I took a few recent pictures for reviews of headphones, which obviously didn't make a cut lol!!!

Regarding this comparison, I'm a bit surprised as well since I was hoping for a more improvement in mid-bass to make bass punch more aggressive, instead of vocals.  Will have to review/compare myself once I get those...  I was doing a bit more listening between VSD3S and W40 and should probably include that in comparison once I get VSD3 and have a full VSD3 vs VSD3S writeup.  In a way, considering 3S was geared to capture W4R signature, one of the main W40 characteristics is a laid back, warm, smooth, non-aggressive sound with a rounded bass which is lacking attack.  3S bass is just like that, very rounded and not fast/aggressive.  My personal preference for bass is KC06A/IM50 to feel a punch of the rhythm.

Also, regarding fitment, though a bit larger than W40, VSD3S are very comfortable with a great fitment ergonomics (and I have small outer ear) and probably on par with IM50/IM03.

Jul 21, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #2,145 of 4,956
twister6: I've got VSD3S and echo your bass impressions - rounded / slow. I get good impact with single bass drum hits, but when they really get going it gets muddied. Sub-bass performance isn't there, either. Never heard the IM50 but am curious how the rest of the IM50'sound sig compares. Maybe you could provide a quick shootout for VSD3(S) vs IM50?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back