The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Nov 3, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #6,091 of 28,989
That Luxman sure has a way with the Senns.
wink.gif

-Daniel

You cannot imagine how happy I am with that amp.. I got the Anedio D2 which is the perfect partner for the Luxman. I think I couldn't built a better rig for the money (got the D2 refurbished for US 999 directly from Anedio).

Nov 3, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #6,093 of 28,989
That`s a great looking set up. . . .    

Both Luxmans are at the top of my list, and I`ve heard them many times because basically every audio shop in Tokyo has them out for people to audition headphones with.   The other option is Sennheiser`s HDVA 600, which I spent a long time with 2 weeks ago at the Tokyo show.  Pretty freaking amazing, I think, but it was noisy room as usual.  Those are coming in to Tokyo in a couple of weeks, and prices the same as the P-1u.    

I`m also going to this little shop today with my Mac and my hd800s and my DAC, to audition their in-house tube amps.  

http://www.andix.co.jp/

Nov 3, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #6,094 of 28,989
HD800 newbie here. With a quick story.

I borrowed a set from  a friend a couple of months ago and tried them with my assortment of middle range amps (Audio GD SA31, Lyr, DV337Se and etc..) and a few vintage receivers and liked them very much, but did not fall in love like the first time I heard the HE-500 or the Lcd-2s

While in Denver, attending a horrible business meeting, I  heard the HD800 on his amp and my jaw dropped.

His setup was a Bitfrost uber (hey, I have one of those) into a Fosgate Signature amp, I was stunned. The exaggerated treble that I heard from them with my gear turned into detail,  the mids that I did not hear on my equipment turned into liquid golden mids that had me close to tears, and the lack of bass turned into the tightest most precise bass that these ears have heard with any head phone. Needless to say I now own the same amp and HD800 and as close to the end of this quest as I have ever been.

I am sure I am preaching to the choir, but when I read about how proper synergy between the amp and the HD800 is crucial  over and over I shrugged it off and assumed it was over- exaggerated, it is not. The HD800 is just an incredible sounding HP.

Nov 3, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #6,095 of 28,989
  Which Luxman, Daniel?  
I amp going out to test desktops this afternoon .  .  .  

Edit:  Oh, I see on your profile it`s the P-1u.  I`ve auditioned that one many times, as well as the P-700u, the balanced monster that`s $6k overseas but $3k here.  And a good shop has a floor unit on sale for $2k, with Luxman warranty.  

Either will occupy 40% of my desk !  

Do you prefer the Luxman to your Woo ? ?  

Yes I sold my P1-u to Bolardito. Truly an amazing combo with the HD800-gives them beautiful body and tonality rarely heard from the Senn. I did in fact like the Luxman much more than the WA5LE-had them both in my house for a while together-and listened to the Luxman 100% of the time other than for some quick comparison purposes. Have you heard the P700u? How does it compare? Maybe we can work something out and you can snatch me that floor model?? :wink:

You cannot imagine how happy I am with that amp.. I got the Anedio D2 which is the perfect partner for the Luxman. I think I couldn't built a better rig for the money (got the D2 refurbished for US 999 directly from Anedio).

I miss it dearly. If only it had a bit more transparency (or a brighter dec like your D2)-the pairing would have been perfect I think. Glad it's serving you so well, and that the Post Office finally came through. :p

HD800 newbie here. With a quick story.

I borrowed a set from  a friend a couple of months ago and tried them with my assortment of middle range amps (Audio GD SA31, Lyr, DV337Se and etc..) and a few vintage receivers and liked them very much, but did not fall in love like the first time I heard the HE-500 or the Lcd-2s

While in Denver, attending a horrible business meeting, I  heard the HD800 on his amp and my jaw dropped.

His setup was a Bitfrost uber (hey, I have one of those) into a Fosgate Signature amp, I was stunned. The exaggerated treble that I heard from them with my gear turned into detail,  the mids that I did not hear on my equipment turned into liquid golden mids that had me close to tears, and the lack of bass turned into the tightest most precise bass that these ears have heard with any head phone. Needless to say I now own the same amp and HD800 and as close to the end of this quest as I have ever been.

I am sure I am preaching to the choir, but when I read about how proper synergy between the amp and the HD800 is crucial  over and over I shrugged it off and assumed it was over- exaggerated, it is not. The HD800 is just an incredible sounding HP.

Yep-a lesson many a Headfier have failed to learn. :wink: Congrats.

-Daniel

Nov 3, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #6,096 of 28,989

Yes I sold my P1-u to Bolardito. Truly an amazing combo with the HD800-gives them beautiful body and tonality rarely heard from the Senn. I did in fact like the Luxman much more than the WA5LE-had them both in my house for a while together-and listened to the Luxman 100% of the time other than for some quick comparison purposes. Have you heard the P700u? How does it compare? Maybe we can work something out and you can snatch me that floor model?? :wink:

-Daniel

I had the eargasmic pleasure of spending a couple of hours on the P-700u attached to a Marantz SACD player, A/Bing 4 headphones: HD800, HD700, T1 and LCD3.  It was when I decided to go high-end headfi, about 3 months ago.  They all sounded fantastic but by far my faves were the 800s. (The audezes were disqualified early because they are just way too hot/heavy for Japanese summers and Bangkok).  None of the phones were balanced, but the amp sounded so incredible.  I demo`d it again with balanced hd800s two weekends ago at the Tokyo show but the source was some ridiculous cheapo netbook playing pop****; not sure what the Luxman guys were thinking at that display.  One floor up Sennheiser had a row of their amps with balanced 800s, playing 16/44 modern jazz and to be honest, it sounded absolutely fantastic. After trundling back and forth trying to keep the sound signatures in my mind to A/B as best as possible, I came away thinking the Sennheiser amp won.   But I know Luxman well and in many ways they are a small company, full of utterly OCD audio maniacs and somehow more attractive for it.  The P-700u is one of those so incredibly over-engineered manifestations of obsession, like some of Canon`s camera lenses (the 8-15mm or the 17mm tilt-shift) that I feel like nobody could go wrong owning it.  I guess the same can be said for the P-1u.  .  . 

I`d be happy to facilitate you purchasing the P-700u but Luxman, in true island mentality, doesn`t provide voltage compatibility and these are 100v only.  (the Senns are 100-240).  Still, if you wanna go for it let me know ! 

http://www.audiounion.jp/ct/detail/used/96514/

Nov 4, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #6,097 of 28,989

Your favorite music is metal and electronica, and you still decided to keep the HD800 in lieu of LCD-3? Unbelievable...

My favorite is electronica and I kept the HD800 over the LCD2. Nothing wrong with that.

Nov 4, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #6,100 of 28,989
+2

I love electronica (not really a fan of metal) and I also picked HD 800 over the LCDs although in an ideal world I'd have access to both. 
wink.gif

Nov 4, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #6,101 of 28,989
HD800 is definetely fantastic for some electronica ( not all electronica though) 
L3000.gif

Nov 4, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #6,104 of 28,989
  I think the HD800 is great for everything but that's just me :)

I think so but with with some genre or some artists, i enjoy more my Ultrasone for example despite the fact HD800 is a better heaphone. That said, there's some genre ( Classical , ambient are examples that come to my mind) where HD800 is especially impressive. 

Nov 4, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #6,105 of 28,989
Agred, electronica is great on the HD800s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back