The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 8, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #5,462 of 28,989
Lol, youre probably right, like I said--I have the "balance" knob turned more towards the right side. Your vsx is a much newer model I assume? The air and extensions are there but I was comparing to other higher end headphone amps, and in comparison it falls short.

Could be a whole slew of issues - might be worth seeing if you can get the 15 year old refurbished...
Yea I'm sure the receiver has all sorts of other issues. I'm just using it while I wait for my other amp to arrive.

Sep 8, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #5,464 of 28,989
Quote:DarKen23

Better to use methylated spirits. Otherwise the oil in the WD40 could gunk things up.
I was joking..

I wasn't
wink_face.gif

Seriously, The idea is to get rid of all the loose carbon and dust inside the pot, and leave a clean track for the wiper to run on.

You can get a contact cleaner & conditioner that  cleans the track and leaves a film of lubricant behind that doesn't harden or clog with age.

Sep 8, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #5,466 of 28,989
Ah, gottca. Thank you kindly, I'll try it.

It's a coincidence that palmfish also has a VSX series like you do, which is interesting. As for cleaning the receiver, just some canned air might do the trick, but De-Oxit Red followed by Gold would do even better, or the Fader lube that Caig also sells. Try the canned air first :)

Gotta say, I'm surprised by those Pioneer headphone outs! Can't wait to get my BH Crack in commission...

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #5,467 of 28,989
It's a coincidence that palmfish also has a VSX series like you do, which is interesting. As for cleaning the receiver, just some canned air might do the trick, but De-Oxit Red followed by Gold would do even better, or the Fader lube that Caig also sells. Try the canned air first :)

Gotta say, I'm surprised by those Pioneer headphone outs! Can't wait to get my BH Crack in commission...

Pioneer has used the "VSX" nomenclature for decades, and still do, so its not really a coincidence.

As for the Pioneer vs. Crack comparison, I would say its a classic tube vs. solid state sound. Next to my Pioneer, my Crack sounds "meatier." I could use terms like musical, lyrical, wetter, lusher, etc. but when I really listen, I think it's mostly just more low frequency emphasis. On most of my recordings, I do enjoy the Crack more, although with some recordings that are already borderline too bassy (Daft Punk for example), it can be too much.

Speedball is on my list...

Oh, remind me sometime to tell you about a conversation I participated in with Dan Schmalle and some other customers at Bottlehead HQ a few weeks ago regarding his thoughts on how his gear compares to Decware. :smile:

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #5,468 of 28,989
I know it's a bit off-topic, but curiosity got the better of me that I decided to order the legendary - and bizarre-looking - Jecklin Float QA and compete it directly against my HD800. It sounds like an unfair comparison given Float's much higher price tag, but the HD800 will be driven to its best with my maxed-out - P+G pot, SAA umbilical cord, NOS Mullard ECC35, upgraded fuse) ZDSE which cost me $3.5K. The Float and its transformer box, on the other hand, will be connected to the Pathos Classic One MKIII integrated amp ($3-4K). I don't know how well the Float QA scales with higher-end speaker amps, but according to QUAD, the Classic One should have enough power to drive the Float to its fullest volume.

As of now, the HD800 has been the reference headphone for me, winning me over other headphones I've tried including LCD-3, TH900, HE-6 and even SR-009; I personally didn't like the SR-009 that much, at least on the setups I've auditioned it with (WES, BHSE). The HD800 images like no other, throws a massively wide, spacious and airy soundstage around my head, and is perhaps the most detailed headphone I've listened to. The only problem is that it is very amp picky, which is why it took me so long to appreciate its true value. The only headphones I have yet to try that could compete (or possibly destroy) the HD800 are the HP-2, SR-Ω, R10, Abyss, H2+ and Float QA. The first three are discontinued and very hard to find (not to mention expensive), the Abyss is extremely expensive, the H2+ is supposedly very hard to properly tune its sound with the right amp, so the Float QA it was for me. I've read several users' feedback that the Float QA was better than SR-009, so I'm really looking forward to it.

If not even the Float QA has what it takes to dethrone the HD800, the Abyss will come next... but it will be a long time after.

Sep 8, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #5,469 of 28,989
Abyss is a great orthodynamic headphone, so I don't think it will completely destroy the HD800 as DD and Planar have their own (general) pro and cons, even in high end level.

Also, the Abyss really have a different presentation of character to HD800, the only similiarity is their airy and huge soundstage. Some people also prefer The Abyss compare to SR009, I guess their opposite character also taking a part there.

Sep 8, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #5,470 of 28,989
  i thought that was the audeze lcd-2 

http://www.audeze.com/products/headphones/lcd2

biggrin.gif

btw im thinking of recoloring mine in the future as well, maybe rebuy a recolored stratus blue one if i ever buy it, or a pink one if i get the WA5

LOL :)

That reminds me of those places that have a big sign saying worlds best steak, burger etc but never lives up to the hype :p

Sep 8, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #5,471 of 28,989

I know it's a bit off-topic, but curiosity got the better of me that I decided to order the legendary - and bizarre-looking - Jecklin Float QA and compete it directly against my HD800. It sounds like an unfair comparison given Float's much higher price tag, but the HD800 will be driven to its best with my maxed-out - P+G pot, SAA umbilical cord, NOS Mullard ECC35, upgraded fuse) ZDSE which cost me $3.5K. The Float and its transformer box, on the other hand, will be connected to the Pathos Classic One MKIII integrated amp ($3-4K). I don't know how well the Float QA scales with higher-end speaker amps, but according to QUAD, the Classic One should have enough power to drive the Float to its fullest volume.

As of now, the HD800 has been the reference headphone for me, winning me over other headphones I've tried including LCD-3, TH900, HE-6 and even SR-009; I personally didn't like the SR-009 that much, at least on the setups I've auditioned it with (WES, BHSE). The HD800 images like no other, throws a massively wide, spacious and airy soundstage around my head, and is perhaps the most detailed headphone I've listened to. The only problem is that it is very amp picky, which is why it took me so long to appreciate its true value. The only headphones I have yet to try that could compete (or possibly destroy) the HD800 are the HP-2, SR-Ω, R10, Abyss, H2+ and Float QA. The first three are discontinued and very hard to find (not to mention expensive), the Abyss is extremely expensive, the H2+ is supposedly very hard to properly tune its sound with the right amp, so the Float QA it was for me. I've read several users' feedback that the Float QA was better than SR-009, so I'm really looking forward to it.

If not even the Float QA has what it takes to dethrone the HD800, the Abyss will come next... but it will be a long time after.

I was very, very close to purchasing a Float QA a couple months ago. I am very interested in what you have to say about it. The only I can't stand about it is how awkward it looks lol. Looking forward to your impressions!

Sep 10, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #5,472 of 28,989
Went to this website http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php and tried the Quality test/ Bass Shaker on the HD800's. Apparently in my enthusiasm to test how far I can push I think I over did it to a point where the drivers were rattling. This was on almost on the full volume pot on the amp. Now I am worried I might have caused irreparable harm to my wonderful HD800's. As soon as I heard the loud rattling I pressed the mute switch. How would be another way to find out if my HD800's are working as they should? What can I try any suggestions. I have looked at the drivers closely and they seem to be in fine shape. Even the red coil seems to be in place. 

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #5,474 of 28,989
  Went to this website http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php and tried the Quality test/ Bass Shaker on the HD800's. Apparently in my enthusiasm to test how far I can push I think I over did it to a point where the drivers were rattling. This was on almost on the full volume pot on the amp. Now I am worried I might have caused irreparable harm to my wonderful HD800's. As soon as I heard the loud rattling I pressed the mute switch. How would be another way to find out if my HD800's are working as they should? What can I try any suggestions. I have looked at the drivers closely and they seem to be in fine shape. Even the red coil seems to be in place. 

I'm sure they'll be fine. Do they sound ok? The drivers were designed to be able to cope with louder music than other headphones without distorting. You've probably given them a good work out. 

Sep 10, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #5,475 of 28,989
They sound fine, nothing buzzing or funny sounds (as I listen to some loud music right now). Actually this whole thing prompted me to inspect the drivers closely. And in the process I took off the ear pads which after 5 months of use needed a good wash as it is along with the headband. The whole process was much easier than I thought. After all the cleaning/drying they look brand new :). Now starts the task of listening to some music, hopefully as you said they just got a good work out. Thanks for all the replies. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back