The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 9, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #4,651 of 29,013
Amp with front facing north is bad feng shui. Interferes with harmony of energy in room. Must turn amp so front is facing east. If not possible (eg amp is crammed into rack with a bunch of other gear with pretty colors) remedy is to place speakers in middle of room, one on top of the other.

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #4,652 of 29,013
I believe it really depends on your other components and what you're trying to achieve. However, I would presume that it would be easier or more logical to change your amp than the DAC itself hence tube amps, and tube rolling. Most high-tier DACs seem to exhibit the same type of sound, which is to be as transparent as possible as to not color the sound in any way. HOWEVER, there's a matter of speed and energy of the DAC which may be a large factor in the synergy of the system. This is because I personally hated my Gungnir for being way too shouty and explosive; I preferred the more relaxed X-Sabre much more with the HD800, and even the LCD3. However, others like purrin love this explosiveness in sound. This explosiveness/shoutiness isn't necessarily something that represents the FR, but is nonetheless a deciding factor. I believe the better the DAC, the better the peculiarities of the sound gets, such as smoothness, explosiveness, 3D stage, imaging precision, rhythm/prat, realism, dynamic volumes of instruments, blackground, "plankton," micro/macro detail, etc.
Quote:

I don't think you understood my question clearly. I was talking about DAC, not amp. I do agree with you that when it comes to amp, it's a matter of opinion. With HD800, one may prefer a highly neutral and transparent "wire with gain" amp like GS-X, or a warm amp that will color the sound in a favorable way like ZDSE (although I feel the ZDSE does so without sacrificing much detail/resolution).

What I'm saying is, what about the DAC? DAC's and amps are a whole different story, and while I think an amp can be colored sounding to make the HD800 more enjoyable, the same logic may not apply to the DAC. Because HD800 is a highly transparent window that lets you hear the original sound with brutal honesty, it can also be interpreted that HD800 is a very source-dependent headphone. Also, my philosophy in hi-fi audio has been that the ideal source component is a DAC that simply lets the music through in its purest form, without adding any errors/distortion/colorations; if one wants to add coloration to the sound for musical enjoyment, it should be done in the amp or speakers/headphones section. But this is my opinion, and I wanted to know what other people thinks.

So I'll ask again. With the HD800, which type of DAC do you guys prefer more?

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #4,653 of 29,013
Quote:
I believe it really depends on your other components and what you're trying to achieve. However, I would presume that it would be easier or more logical to change your amp than the DAC itself hence tube amps, and tube rolling. Most high-tier DACs seem to exhibit the same type of sound, which is to be as transparent as possible as to not color the sound in any way. HOWEVER, there's a matter of speed and energy of the DAC which may be a large factor in the synergy of the system. This is because I personally hated my Gungnir for being way too shouty and explosive; I preferred the more relaxed X-Sabre much more with the HD800, and even the LCD3. However, others like purrin love this explosiveness in sound. This explosiveness/shoutiness isn't necessarily something that represents the FR, but is nonetheless a deciding factor. I believe the better the DAC, the better the peculiarities of the sound gets, such as smoothness, explosiveness, 3D stage, imaging precision, rhythm/prat, realism, dynamic volumes of instruments, blackground, "plankton," micro/macro detail, etc.

+1

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #4,658 of 29,013
rolleyes.gif

Aug 10, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #4,663 of 29,013
So I am gone at camp for a week at Scout Camp and I come home to find my HD800's NOT ON THEIR RACK 
eek.gif

My Wife took them for sound board work for a Children's theater performance of Fiddler on the Roof. She is running the sound for the show.

Tevya never sounded so good! 
biggrin.gif

I gave her my HD-25-1 ii's to use for the remainder of the performances.....

Aug 10, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #4,664 of 29,013
Quote:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....

At least she shares your appreciation for headphones. :) 

Aug 10, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #4,665 of 29,013
Quote:
Quote:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....

At least she shares your appreciation for headphones. :) 

No harm done. There was a brief moment of panic..."Where are my HD800's??!!!" Then I figured it out....I'll have them back tonight. Slumming with the HD650's and the Toxic Cable Silver Poison cables while I wait....
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back