The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 8, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #4,621 of 28,989
Quote:

Could you explain a bit about the NOS part? To be frank, I haven't done much direct A/B with DAC's as I have done with amps; in fact, I've been living with the same DAC for almost 2 years now, Metrum Acoustic Octave DAC which happens to be a NOS DAC. I know what NOS means, and I don't mind about it being NOS since I can upsample using my softwares (Pure Music, Audirvana Plus). What I also know is that my Octave DAC is a highly neutral and transparent DAC without much colorations, with one reviewer describing it as pure mineral water compared to many other DAC's in the market that are like soda pops with different flavors. I'm not sure if it being NOS has anything to do with its neutral-sounding qualities, though.

What makes you say that NOS DAC's tend to be an exception? Are you saying that they are better, worse, or simply different compared to DAC's in the same price point? If different, could you explain how so?

NOS=Non-Over Sampling as far as dacs go. In a nutshell-they tend to sound more natural-more like real life, vs hi-fi. They generally are somewhat rolled off in the bass and treble regions-although reports seems to suggest Metrum doesn't really fall into those pitfalls.

Palmfish-funny you mentioned BIA as that was one of my favorite songs to listen to when I had the ZDSE with the HD800. But now the Mjolnir doesn't seem to be doing it any favors.

-Daniel

Aug 8, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #4,622 of 28,989
Palmfish-funny you mentioned BIA as that was one of my favorite songs to listen to when I had the ZDSE with the HD800. But now the Mjolnir doesn't seem to be doing it any favors.

-Daniel

I love the album but I have never had a digital version that sounds good to me. I think it is the epitome of "hi-fi" sound that you sometimes refer too. I can only listen to it on vinyl...

Aug 8, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #4,623 of 28,989
Quote:

NOS=Non-Over Sampling as far as dacs go. In a nutshell-they tend to sound more natural-more like real life, vs hi-fi. They generally are somewhat rolled off in the bass and treble regions-although reports seems to suggest Metrum doesn't really fall into those pitfalls.

Indeed, many have reported that Metrum DAC's sound more "analog" - i.e. sounding closer to vinyl compared to other DAC's that sound "digital." For HD800, would you recommend a NOS DAC or a non-NOS DAC?

Aug 8, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #4,624 of 28,989
I listen to it on Private Investigations-not sure if it's a different master or not though...gosh I still remember how the ZDSE captured that song...mid-song guitar solo sounding like it's ripping through the atmosphere like a hot knife through butter...mmm.

-Daniel

Aug 8, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #4,625 of 28,989
Quote:

Indeed, many have reported that Metrum DAC's sound more "analog" - i.e. sounding closer to vinyl compared to other DAC's that sound "digital." For HD800, would you recommend a NOS DAC or a non-NOS DAC?

Why don't you try something like a cheaper Concero to a/b with your Octave? The HD800 with pretty much just reveal what you feed it-personally I think a great NOS dac would be better suited, but that's why I love the Eximus-kind in between analog and hifi imo.

-Daniel

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #4,626 of 28,989
Quote:
what would you say is the sound signature difference that makes the super 7 good? personal preference comes into play and i just want to make sure our preferences line up for the recommendation. specifically, wa2 vs super 7? thanks

I'd say it's close to 100% personal preference, since the other tube amps listed are all fantastic pieces of kit and excel in their own ways.

My own Head-Fi journey has slowly but surely led me away from more colored, stereotypically "tube-like" gear in a quest for a sound that's musical yet neutral, euphonic yet accurate. I owned the HD800 once before and sold them because they were "too cold" for my tastes (and rig) at the time. Now, with different expectations, better equipment and an open mind, I find my 2nd set of HD800s to be just what I'm looking for as a foil for the LCD-3.

With the Super 7, the HD800 are not "compromised" in an attempt to sound like a different model with a different sound signature. (One might argue that the WA2 does compromise the HD800, though in a way that I found fully engaging at the time.) The highs are detailed and articulate but never searing or harsh (unless the recording demands it). The bass is full and impactful in a way that doesn't approach an LCD3-like presentation, but doesn't really aspire to. It's really not a night-and-day difference from my BHA-1: a touch more warmth with an added tier of musicality and impact, but both are essentially neutral (whatever that means) pieces that find the sweet spot between creating engaging musical experiences vs. getting out of the recording's way.

In my completely non-scientific opinion, there's a bit of a vicious cycle at play in mid-fi tube electronics. Consumers purchase audio gear to get that "tube sound," even though tubes are just a part of the implementation that makes gear sound the way it does. Manufacturers respond by playing up the tubey-ness of their kit in hopes of increasing sales -- thereby cementing in people's minds that tube electronics are supposed to sound a certain way. And on it goes. I find it refreshing that manufacturers like Craig at Eddie Current buck this trend and create fantastic tube gear that defies the "tubey goodness" logic and just sounds great.

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #4,627 of 28,989
Quote:

Firstly the HD800's are NOT harsh sounding. Many times the 'harshness' is already in the system and the HD800's are just revealing what is already there.

this is GOSPEL right there according to Saint (nigel)James!!! lols

as per my ears, the Senns can be harsh, grainy & even grating depending on what its fed upstream. its can bass light or bass heavy & even slams harder (or not) than a Grado PS500. tis a strange animal tis HD800.

on another subject, im finding similar chameleon like results with the Beyer T1 as well. right now in my rig as it, the T1 does not suffer any deficiencies in soundstage or in micro details than the HD800. indeed in some respects, the T1 surpasses ... all cos of synergistic amplification. amazing journey of discovery this 
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #4,628 of 28,989

I disagree with this. When I got the HD800, I found it a little harsh around the treble peak, especially coming from the HE-500. Switching to a Black Dragon cable removed this problem and now I love the HD800. If I had dismissed it immediately just because it wasn't perfect, I'd be missing out on an amazing headphone.

Same here. I love the black dragon with my HD800s. And definitely spring for a Furutech connector too (Neutriks are pretty bad whenever I have tried them in any application.) However, I still like my HE500 better (more smooth and liquid and better, in fact very fine deep bass). I also really like a Moon cable on the HE500s too -- the Silver Dragon, also with the Furutech connector.

Aug 8, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #4,630 of 28,989
Quote:

Same here. I love the black dragon with my HD800s. And definitely spring for a Furutech connector too (Neutriks are pretty bad whenever I have tried them in any application.)However, I still like my HE500 better (more smooth and liquid and better, in fact very fine deep bass). I also really like a Moon cable on the HE500s too -- the Silver Dragon, alsowith the Furutech connector.

I like the Furutech connectors. Not sure about sonic benefits, but they seem really solid and well built. Both of my Moon cables have one.
Also, +1 on the HE-500 love 
beerchug.gif

Aug 8, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #4,631 of 28,989
Quote:
With the Super 7, the HD800 are not "compromised" in an attempt to sound like a different model with a different sound signature. (One might argue that the WA2 does compromise the HD800, though in a way that I found fully engaging at the time.) The highs are detailed and articulate but never searing or harsh (unless the recording demands it). The bass is full and impactful in a way that doesn't approach an LCD3-like presentation, but doesn't really aspire to. It's really not a night-and-day difference from my BHA-1: a touch more warmth with an added tier of musicality and impact, but both are essentially neutral (whatever that means) pieces that find the sweet spot between creating engaging musical experiences vs. getting out of the recording's way.

^ Darn. Couldn't have said it better myself.

The HD800s are a tricky beast. It's hard to find a good compromise to enhance it where it needs it (more impactful bass, fuller less dry sound, take the edge off the treble) while retaining its superb qualities (plankton extraction, resolution, micro-dynamics, etc.)

Also important to note that tube rolling to the S7 is really what makes it special. One can mix and match a variety of 6SN7s to obtain the desired sound signature. And a lot of good old-stock 6SN7s can be acquired for cheap.

I'd fall into this category as well. I tried the GS-X Mk2 and didn't like it because of its transparency. I was shot down for saying so. I prefer an amp that has some coloration. I don't have any hard feelings though, I'm just here to enjoy my HD800 
dt880smile.png

This is entirely a matter of opinion. A neutral or transparent amp will bring forth more detail but might sound boring or dry to some. A warm, lush amp will color the sound in possibly a favorable way but will usually reduce detail and resolution.

I agree with you. However, saying the GS-X provides a clear window into the recording, is transparent, is uncolored, is wire-with-gain is complete bull schmit. It's a myth you shouldn't believe, and it's a myth that for some inexplicable reason has been perpetrated for way way too long now. Every amp I've heard is colored, and the GS-X definitely has a certain sound signature. That being said, I was very impressed with the GS-X mk2. But I wouldn't touch one of those with an HD800 without Anax mods - mainly because the HD800 is problematic in certain ways. And I'd probably run a NOS or ladder DAC with the GS-X as well. Now I absolutely loved the HE-500 from the GS-X, but that's another story.

Aug 8, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #4,632 of 28,989
Quote:

I agree with you. However, saying the GS-X provides a clear window into the recording, is transparent, is uncolored, is wire-with-gain is complete bull schmit. It's a myth you shouldn't believe, and it's a myth that for some inexplicable reason has been perpetrated for way way too long now. Every amp I've heard is colored, and the GS-X definitely has a certain sound signature. That being said, I was very impressed with the GS-X mk2. 

Aug 8, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #4,633 of 28,989
The 3 year wait tends to color perceptions.
evil_smiley.gif
 I love how the GSX was wire with a gain-now the mkII is...more so? But yeah when people who claim it fills out the bass for the HD800, fixes the treble, yadda yadda...it's colored.

-Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back