The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 4, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #4,336 of 28,989
After listening to the SA5000 with it's earbleeding treble the HD800 sounds muddy only because the sound has to propagate through the blood in the ears.

Aug 4, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #4,337 of 28,989
The past 2 weeks the HD800 have been constantly calling my name..And I am literally about to give in. Can someone please give me(coming from LCD2r2) a reason not to lol..*sigh*

The LCD2's look cooler...?

Would like some advice can a vacuum be used to clean the HD800's at a very low level. Would this cause can damage to the driver. I am talking the lowest setting. I can see some debris inside the driver do not know how it got inside. If it can not be done what sort of damage can be caused by taking such an action? 

The drivers are tougher than you think, If they can handle bowl loosening bass at a crazy volume (and they can I've tried it) then a little bit of sucky suck suck won't hurt them. In fact they might even enjoy it! 

I always thought the HD800 looks much cooler. The LCD2 does have its own style, but the HD800 looks like headphones that "grey aliens" would use. Thanks for the opinion though!

Aug 4, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #4,338 of 28,989
I'm sure it sounds good, but I would never consider paying anywhere close to $10k for a DAC. $40k is just hilarious. But hey, if it makes someone happy then more power to them.

If you put it that way, most folks who listen to crappy iBuds would find our hobby of investing $1-2K on headphones and amps hilarious as well. But hey, I'm not gonna judge unless I actually get to try them out with my own ears. I hope people here who find spending $40K on a DAC hilarious or ridiculous are saying that AFTER they've actually heard them too. If I were rolling in cash like David Solomon, so much cash that I could afford a Sennheiser Orpheus, two pairs of R10's, SR-009, SR-Omega, and another 50-ish headphones that cost around $1K or more, along with several amps costing $5K and upwards, AND still had like $50K lying around, then why not a $40K DAC?

Although I don't agree with his ranking of headphones entirely (okay I'll admit it, placing the TH900 below the HD600 is preposterous IMO), what I respect more than just his collection of headphones and gears is his dedication. And dedication is the main driving force behind these expensive hobbies.

You're absolutely right in that one shouldn't judge a product without ACTUALLY hearing it, that applies to myself as well. But seriously, for 1. You carelessly throw the "talk AFTER youve heard it" suggestion with a 40k unit that is readily available to me at my local Walmart, What would you say the % is of head-fiers that even get to hear one priced at 40k, not to mention that its probably bull**** whos attempting to gain fame and glory over teh internetz. 2. I highly doubt a 40k+ dac offers a life changing experience any more than a 10k dac would, Ive never heard any dac even close to 10k--but 10k makes more sense than 40.

Can someone get a person here thats auditioned a 40k+ dac? Id love a FULL IMPRESSION and a comparison :popcorn:.. Should be interesting, dont you agree?

Aug 4, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #4,339 of 28,989
Why do you get so ... well I don't know what to call this behavior ... zealous over a dac? What about supercar, 5 figure watch/pet fish/bonsai? 
tongue_smile.gif

It's not that hard really. Call your nearest dealer and drive there, I'm sure they would let you demo even the dCS stack (which is four times more expensive than the MSB btw). Won't be life-changing for sure, but if it helps you feel better ....

Aug 4, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #4,340 of 28,989
I've heard the 009s and I own the HD800s.  I would not describe the HD800s as muddy compared to anything.  However, the 009s are for sure as MH said..  That much better.  The HD800s has it's place and it's not in the 009s lane.  

IMO the HE-6 comes the closest to the 009s anyway.  Ha ha ha...
biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #4,343 of 28,989
Quote:
009s and a KGSSHV  It's a coming....
biggrin.gif

You can't find many people that will build a T2 for you.  To demanding..

Fishski won't touch it?

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #4,346 of 28,989
I've heard the 009s and I own the HD800s.  I would not describe the HD800s as muddy compared to anything.  However, the 009s are for sure as MH said..  That much better.  The HD800s has it's place and it's not in the 009s lane.  

IMO the HE-6 comes the closest to the 009s anyway.  Ha ha ha...:D

Really ? I'd call the HE-6s muddy next to the hd800s. :wink:

To be clear my comments previously aren't just mine, but baka1969's and zare's as well; both of which were over at different times and did direct A-B comparisons.

But as mentioned, when you get your upstream rig "right", the hd800s are very special headphones indeed.

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #4,347 of 28,989
Quote:
Really ? I'd call the HE-6s muddy next to the hd800s.
wink.gif

To be clear my comments previously aren't just mine, but baka1969's and zare's as well; both of which were over at different times and did direct A-B comparisons.

But as mentioned, when you get your upstream rig "right", the hd800s are very special headphones indeed.

Just to confirm, are you saying that the SR-009 has more detail than the HD800 even when the HD800 cables are upgraded and top end amp is used? Thanks...

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #4,348 of 28,989
Quote:
Just to confirm, are you saying that the SR-009 has more detail than the HD800 even when the HD800 cables are upgraded and top end amp is used? Thanks...

I'm saying that with my Q-Audio cables, run balanced on my GS-X MKII, I'm hearing many things on my SR-009s that I've never heard with my HD-800 rig 
size]
....as did baka1969 and zare (who bought them). The DAC was the same for both comparison (W4S DAC-2) and my CDP.

And all with less treble energy...no tricks here (like the SA3000 that crank up the treble energy), just a transducer that can extract every last detail out of the recording like no other.

FWIW, other headphone cables/amps I've owned with the HD800s: DHC Molecule, Cardas Balanced Gold, Cavalli Liquid Fire, Woo Audio WA2, Woo Audio WA22. The combination I've got now, the HD800s have never sounded better.

Aug 4, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #4,349 of 28,989
I'm intrigued. I've been listening to the HD800 with the WA22 (with upgraded tubes of course) and it sounds fabulous, pure joy to listen to.

I'm curious how much more of a step up the GSX MkII is.
WebRep

currentVote

noRating
noWeight

Aug 4, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #4,350 of 28,989
Quote:
And all with less treble energy...no tricks here (like the SA3000 that crank up the treble energy), just a transducer that can extract every last detail out of the recording like no other.

I also think that some of the ringing that occurs inside hd800 cups  near 6khz (and more or less tamed by anax mod) could mask some details.
So it would make sense even with the hd800, that with with less "ringing treble", you'd hear more details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back