The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jul 31, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #4,186 of 28,992
Anyone tried the hd800 with black or blue dragons?

I will highly recommend the Black Dragon. It tames that slight treble peak almost entirely and gives an overall smoother presentation than the stock SPC cable. Honestly I was very surprised at how much of a difference this cable made.

Jul 31, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #4,187 of 28,992
Quote:
I will highly recommend the Black Dragon. It tames that slight treble peak almost entirely and gives an overall smoother presentation than the stock SPC cable. Honestly I was very surprised at how much of a difference this cable made.

Thanks for the info. Does the same detail/soundstage etc... exist though?

I have silver dragons, but it may have been wiser for me to get black dragons.
The treble is slightly better with the silvers. Detail and the rest are there (and I think improved a bit).

Also, does the bass improve at all?

Jul 31, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #4,188 of 28,992
Thanks for the info. Does the same detail/soundstage etc... exist though?

I have silver dragons, but it may have been wiser for me to get black dragons.
The treble is slightly better with the silvers. Detail and the rest are there (and I think improved a bit).

Also, does the bass improve at all?

You may perceive a slight reduction in detail because of the lowered treble peak but its all still there. Doesn't seem to be any less resolving to me. The mids and bass sound like they have a slightly slower decay that gives it a little bit bigger bottom end but its subtle. Just enough to give it a little extra weight. I wouldn't get the Black Dragon if I was just looking to increase bass quantity. All IME of course.

Jul 31, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #4,189 of 28,992
Quote:
[..]

Lastly, and this DAC/Amp doesn't need an XLR cable, I've been looking at the Woo Audio W7 Fireflies as a contender... Has anyone here had any experience with the Fireflies and HD 800's? It looks (and supposedly sounds) great, and the $1000 price tag is a little easier to swallow than $2000 for the HDVD 800.

Thanks again!

To my ears the WA7 leaves nothing to be desired. With the HD800 I'd say it sounds even better than looks, especially with the EH tubes - they are worth the extra money. 

Jul 31, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #4,190 of 28,992
Let's organize an alphabetical list of headphone amps (heard and approved by many) that are known to be some of the very best amps for the HD800, cost-no-object. Anyone can chime in and update the list, even delete what's already there if you don't agree, but only as long as you've actually heard the amp and compared it with others.

And please, let's not argue over tubes vs. transistor here. As long as it sounds heavenly with the HD800, everything's good.

VALVE
- Allnic Audio HPA5000
- Decware CSP2+ (soon to be upgraded to 3)
- DNA Stratus
- E.A.R. HP4
- Eddie Current Zana Deux SE
- EternalArts OTL-KHV
- Woo Audio WA22

SOLID-STATE
- AMB B22
- Bakoon HPA-21
- HeadAmp GS-X mk2
- Luxman P-1u
- SPL Phonitor
- Sugden Masterclass HA-4
- Violectric V200

Disclaimer: To be honest, I didn't listen to all of the amps I listed above (GS-X mk2, for example, though I'd really like to hear it with the HD800 someday). I added several amps I haven't heard but received a lot of praise from respected members at Head-Fi and other sources. So far, the best tube amp I've heard was the HPA5000 ($5K), and the best solid-state was HPA-21 ($3K).

Jul 31, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #4,195 of 28,992
What about the Lehamnn Black Cube Linear? Wondering if there is any consensus regarding this particular amp with the HD800. I have my opinion but would like to hear from other members who have tried the amp. 

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #4,198 of 28,992
What about the Lehamnn Black Cube Linear? Wondering if there is any consensus regarding this particular amp with the HD800. I have my opinion but would like to hear from other members who have tried the amp. 

I didnt like bcl with hd 800, lifeless and bland. Though not a bad amp, just my preferences + value for money

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #4,199 of 28,992
Quote:
Let's organize an alphabetical list of headphone amps (heard and approved by many) that are known to be some of the very best amps for the HD800, cost-no-object. Anyone can chime in and update the list, even delete what's already there if you don't agree, but only as long as you've actually heard the amp and compared it with others.

And please, let's not argue over tubes vs. transistor here. As long as it sounds heavenly with the HD800, everything's good.

VALVE
- Allnic Audio HPA5000
- Decware CSP2+ (soon to be upgraded to 3)
- DNA Stratus
- E.A.R. HP4
- Eddie Current Zana Deux SE
- EternalArts OTL-KHV
- Woo Audio WA22

SOLID-STATE
- AMB B22
- Bakoon HPA-21
- HeadAmp GS-X mk2
- Luxman P-1u
- SPL Phonitor
- Sugden Masterclass HA-4
- Violectric V200

Disclaimer: To be honest, I didn't listen to all of the amps I listed above (GS-X mk2, for example, though I'd really like to hear it with the HD800 someday). I added several amps I haven't heard but received a lot of praise from respected members at Head-Fi and other sources. So far, the best tube amp I've heard was the HPA5000 ($5K), and the best solid-state was HPA-21 ($3K).

Isn't the HPA5000 optimized for low impedance phones (30~50ohm)? I haven't heard it, but their owner's manual said so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back