The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jul 30, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #4,171 of 28,989
I hope to get a similar experience with my Leben CS300 (tube amp). Heard the HD800 on a high end SS amp and thought it sounded light and with a dry treble. No HD800 for me! Ha! But then I saw the Leben which also has a bass boost switch and thought: I will give it a try. The amp is on the way, and the HD800 is next.

Jul 30, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #4,172 of 28,989
Hey all, first time poster and I apologize if my question has been covered somewhere else in this thread...

I just ordered my HD 800's and I'm also in the market for a DAC/Amp to use with my MacBook Pro. Potentially a Schiit or maybe Sennheiser's own HDVD 800.

I was wondering if you guys knew of any HD 800 balanced XLR cables. I've seen some third-party ones for ridiculous prices (over $600), and I've also seen that in the UK, some retailers have a listing for a Sennheiser-manufactured one that is "coming soon" (I live in the States.) Here's a link:

http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/sennheiser-hd800-xlr-connecting-cable.html

...Anyway, if you guys have any suggestions for a good after-market balanced cable for the HD 800's, or if you happen to know when this Sennheiser balanced cable will be released (if it's real), I'd really appreciate it!

Also, if you have any suggestions for a good DAC/Amp for the Sennheiser HD 800's (in addition to the ones people have already mentioned), I'd love to hear them.

Lastly, and this DAC/Amp doesn't need an XLR cable, I've been looking at the Woo Audio W7 Fireflies as a contender... Has anyone here had any experience with the Fireflies and HD 800's? It looks (and supposedly sounds) great, and the $1000 price tag is a little easier to swallow than $2000 for the HDVD 800.

Thanks again!

Jul 30, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #4,173 of 28,989
HD800 sounds good on Leben. I think HD800 like tubes.
Last nite I listened again 800 with Lehmann BCL, like you said, the treble and bass is dry and shorter, but I still like it. Leben bring slight wet-ness to it.
I post on the other thread, apparently Norah Jones also use Leben CS300. I am happy my favorite singer is using the same amp as mine :D

Jul 30, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #4,175 of 28,989
Quote:
100+ posts since a day ago when I was last on. 

I've laughed, I've cried, I got angry a bit.. I felt disorientated at times.. But very entertaining folks!! Especially these guys

beerchug.gif

exrabigmehdi                                                         BournePerfect

ROFL
biggrin.gif
 That's exactly how I pictured them, this is the aftermath of their fight, though.  both refusing to acknowledge the other...
tongue_smile.gif

With that, "why the h@ll did I marry that?" look on their faces...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 30, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #4,177 of 28,989
Quote:
Hey all, first time poster and I apologize if my question has been covered somewhere else in this thread...

I just ordered my HD 800's and I'm also in the market for a DAC/Amp to use with my MacBook Pro. Potentially a Schiit or maybe Sennheiser's own HDVD 800.

I was wondering if you guys knew of any HD 800 balanced XLR cables. I've seen some third-party ones for ridiculous prices (over $600), and I've also seen that in the UK, some retailers have a listing for a Sennheiser-manufactured one that is "coming soon" (I live in the States.) Here's a link:

http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/sennheiser-hd800-xlr-connecting-cable.html

...Anyway, if you guys have any suggestions for a good after-market balanced cable for the HD 800's, or if you happen to know when this Sennheiser balanced cable will be released (if it's real), I'd really appreciate it!

Also, if you have any suggestions for a good DAC/Amp for the Sennheiser HD 800's (in addition to the ones people have already mentioned), I'd love to hear them.

Lastly, and this DAC/Amp doesn't need an XLR cable, I've been looking at the Woo Audio W7 Fireflies as a contender... Has anyone here had any experience with the Fireflies and HD 800's? It looks (and supposedly sounds) great, and the $1000 price tag is a little easier to swallow than $2000 for the HDVD 800.

Thanks again!

So, Moon audio and 'Q' audio make some good cables. I got my Q French silk for the ergonomics and XLR connection,  Really like it.
Schiit Asgard 2 would be a good SS amp to start out with.  Decware Taboo MKIII and CSP2+ (or the new CSP3+) are good choices.
I have the Asgard 2 and the Taboo, others here like the CSP2+.  I also use the Schiit ubered Bifrost, the Modi might also be a consideration.
The taboo can be had with two 1/4" and two 4 pin XLR connections.

If you can I would suggest reading a lot of the reviews and also going to a meet and auditioning the gear.

Oh and Welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry about your wallet. 
biggrin.gif

Have fun...
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 30, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #4,178 of 28,989
So, Moon audio and 'Q' audio make some good cables. I got my Q French silk for the ergonomics and XLR connection,  Really like it.
Schiit Asgard 2 would be a good SS amp to start out with.  Decware Taboo MKIII and CSP2+ (or the new CSP3+) are good choices.
I have the Asgard 2 and the Taboo, others here like the CSP2+.  I also use the Schiit ubered Bifrost, the Modi might also be a consideration.
The taboo can be had with two 1/4" and two 4 pin XLR connections.

If you can I would suggest reading a lot of the reviews and also going to a meet and auditioning the gear.

Oh and Welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry about your wallet. 
biggrin.gif

[rule]Have fun...
bigsmile_face.gif

Thanks for the advice and the warm welcome, man! I'll definitely look into those.

Jul 30, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #4,179 of 28,989
l0l!!!!!

umm sometimes there isn't really much more to be said. anymore would be just redundant or would create more unnecessary questions and confusion.

the +1 is easy and effective to implement into any post and makes for a short and concise yet meaningful response. it also helps the person i'm quoting, their comment gains credibility

There's this thing called the thumbs up button that serves as an outlet for these +1 posts. Use that instead.

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #4,184 of 28,989
DG, you silly nilly. I don't think you actually agree on anything (not WA2 related lol). Your "+1" has always secretly referenced your growing post count.

-Daniel

(+1)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back