The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jun 12, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #3,226 of 28,989
The LCD-3 is just SO much more forgiving on recordings. I could listen to 128kbps stuff that I ripped off youtube when I was younger and still enjoy it on the LCD-3. The HD800 does not such thing. I can hear what I call "low riemann"-ing in the recording (meaning each second is not broken into enough constituent parts and the resulting sound is digital, blocky, and unmusical). I prefer the HD800, but only after the Anax mod took the edge off that 6.5k peak.

Kojaku

Jun 12, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #3,227 of 28,989
Quote:
The LCD-3 is just SO much more forgiving on recordings. I could listen to 128kbps stuff that I ripped off youtube when I was younger and still enjoy it on the LCD-3. The HD800 does not such thing. I can hear what I call "low riemann"-ing in the recording (meaning each second is not broken into enough constituent parts and the resulting sound is digital, blocky, and unmusical). I prefer the HD800, but only after the Anax mod took the edge off that 6.5k peak.

Kojaku

HD800 + 128kbps = Brutal, harsh, bloated mess.

The other day I downloaded a 10 year old song (one of old Usher's Rn'B songs) that was around 128kbps. It was so bad that I couldn't listen to it anymore so I downloaded the FLAC and it was about 10x better, so clean and so refined. When I played the low bit rate mp3 on my speakers, the weaknesses weren't so apparent and this is why I really like headphones.

Jun 12, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #3,228 of 28,989
Quote:

The other day I downloaded a 10 year old song (one of old Usher's Rn'B songs) that was around 128kbps. It was so bad that I couldn't listen to it anymore so I downloaded the FLAC and it was about 10x better, so clean and so refined. When I played the low bit rate mp3 on my speakers, the weaknesses weren't so apparent and this is why I really like headphones.

Yeah, I've been slowly replacing my favorite hip-hop & r&b stuff with reference rips (buying the CDs from Amoeba). So far I've finished my JT, John Legend, Alicia Keyes, and Usher stuff. It's really so much better at 24/192.

Kojaku

Jun 12, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #3,229 of 28,989
Quote:

good point. i remember listening to a melody gardot album called 'who will comfort me' there are a few tracks on there where i can hear slight hiss in the right channel of the headphone and when i play it on the speakers the hiss is just not there. 

Jun 12, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #3,230 of 28,989
Quote:
Considering I pair $1100 for my new pair and the LCD-3 set me back $1700 used... no contest for value.  Wildly different sound though.

I find it quite amusing for some reason when someone says a $1100 headphone is a good value buy 
biggrin.gif

I guess instead of the recent discussion of getting an LCD2/3 to go with the HD800 I got the SR007. The HD800 isn't going anywhere however. I spent too long trying to find the perfect setup for me. The Buffalo III DAC and Mjolnir amp makes the HD800 sound amazing. This is definitely one of the few headphones I've owned where the DAC change was very significant.

Jun 12, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #3,231 of 28,989
I'd definitely look at the Buffalo III if I could get it in a smaller enclosure.  Been eyeing it for a while as I've heard great things about it.

Jun 12, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #3,232 of 28,989
Your V800 is the exception in size. The typical dac at that price range and up will be much bigger. What I have now is a pretty large enclosure but looking at the innards it won't get much smaller. It is fairly light however

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #3,234 of 28,989
Quote:
Yeah, I've been slowly replacing my favorite hip-hop & r&b stuff with reference rips (buying the CDs from Amoeba). So far I've finished my JT, John Legend, Alicia Keyes, and Usher stuff. It's really so much better at 24/192.

Kojaku

how u get 24/192 usher? u mean 16/44 cd rips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back