The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 23, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #2,866 of 28,989
Gave up on the stock GE tubes a long time ago. Running Amperex Orange right now and am really enjoying them.
Quote:
I really don't like the HD800 on my Lyr with the stock GE tubes compared to my Soloist SL cause it just sounds too V shaped. If you get a chance to compare your other tubes with the GE then please give us your impressions.

May 23, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #2,867 of 28,989
I've got a lot of 80's stuff on CD. Even though I ripped them to Apple Lossless, the recordings aren't that great but I'm still enjoying them with the HD800.  I hear the flaws in these and in some of my 256kbps files but again, I'm hearing and enjoying the music. Can hear/listen beyond the flaws.  Have no interest in the HE500 any more :)
I just cant stop listening to the HD800s. I haven't had this much fun in a long time! (well, two double Rusty Nails may have something to do with it)
Quote:
@MickeyVee

I held on to my HE-500s so I could listen to the lower quality recordings in my collection without cringing.

May 23, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #2,868 of 28,989
Gave up on the stock GE tubes a long time ago. Running Amperex Orange right now and am really enjoying them.

My HD800's are fairly new too. Tonight with the Lyr I rolled in a set of Siemens & Halske E88CC, CCa grey plates. Wow!! Incredible detail, extension and strong tight bass. The best I've heard from these cans so far. I was listening to baroque concerti, and the sound of an oboe d'amore was more accurate than I have ever heard before (I play this instrument, so I have a good idea of the sound). Endgame tubes for the HD800!

May 23, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #2,869 of 28,989
Quote:
Have the Mullards, Amperex Orange Globe, Amperex Bugle Boys, a set of Martsu's and 2 sets of stock GE tubes.  Done for now. 
cool.gif
 Sounds great out of the Orange Globes so I'll give it a month to break in and then start tube rolling.

Hm, a lot of people complain that the Orange Globes are a bit too hot to pair with the HD800 and prefer the Bugles for their smoother presentation. What're your feelings on it? I've found that my original Tesla Sabres were way too treble-happy (since I used them with LCD2s) and had to roll back to stock JJs while I wait for my Bugle Boys to come in, but the treble is still a little too hot for me.

Kojaku

May 23, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #2,871 of 28,989
Quote:
Hm, a lot of people complain that the Orange Globes are a bit too hot to pair with the HD800 and prefer the Bugles for their smoother presentation. What're your feelings on it? I've found that my original Tesla Sabres were way too treble-happy (since I used them with LCD2s) and had to roll back to stock JJs while I wait for my Bugle Boys to come in, but the treble is still a little too hot for me.

Kojaku

i find them to be warm, but compared to most of the Lyr impressions i find the opposite to be true on the WA2. though i agree, i prefer the bugle boys for my HD 800, and the orange globes for the T1. i feel like the orange globes have a bit more bass and fullness vs. the more open and airy bugle boys.

May 23, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #2,872 of 28,989
The Orange Globes are working for me right now. I used them with my HD700 and found them a little hot (as everything else was) at times but not so far with the HD800.  Mind you, it's just day 1 for me.  A set of Bugle Boys were waiting for me when I got home but since I'm pretty happy right now, I thought that I'd give the current setup a month or so for break in, both physically and for my brain to get really used to the HD800 signature before tube rolling. I should really test the BB's before long to see if they're ok. Maybe on the weekend.
This is what I'm running right now: Amperex 6DJ8 / ECC88 - Orange Globe 1969 Dimple Getter.

This is my full list of tubes so I have a lot to play with.  So much music, so many tubes and a pair of HD800 to boot. Life is good.

• GE 6BZ7 ( 2 Pairs)
• Amperex 6DJ8 / ECC88 - A-Frame, 1972/1973 PQ Label 
• Amperex 6DJ8 / ECC88 - Orange Globe 1967 Holland
• Amperex 6DJ8 / ECC88 - Orange Globe 1969 Dimple Getter
• Matsu****a E88CC 6922 Japan - MINT NOS NIB Mullard Tooling
• Mullard CV2492 E88CC 6922 - 1969-1978 Dimple Disc Getter 
• Philips Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 Tubes, Vintage Year 1967

Edit: So I've shut down the Schiit Stack for the night and will let the HD800 burn in with the Audinst HUD-MX2 for the next 24 hours or so. Sacrilege, but it's not bad. Definitely can use the Audinst for causal listening.  I'm starting to wonder about all the stuff I've read about the HD800.. 200 hours of burn in.. bright before break in.. bass light.. needs a new cable.. blah, blah, blah.. My S/N is 21xxx.. maybe Senn has made some changes since the original release.
I'll shut up for a while until I get 100 hours or so on them. So far, so good.  Night All.
Quote:

Kojaku

May 24, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #2,873 of 28,989
Quote:
Odd question but, does anyone here own a Blue Spark or a discrete microphone and HD800s? Was wondering if HD800s are picked up by the mic or not.

I own a Yeti Pro. What do you mean "pick up"? As in are the open-back cans picked up by the mic? I had the problem with my LCD-2s. That's why I use in-ears or closed-back stuff for vocalists and use the HD800s for mixing.

Kojaku

May 24, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #2,874 of 28,989
Quote:

i find them to be warm, but compared to most of the Lyr impressions i find the opposite to be true on the WA2. though i agree, i prefer the bugle boys for my HD 800, and the orange globes for the T1. i feel like the orange globes have a bit more bass and fullness vs. the more open and airy bugle boys.

Do you happen to have any reference rips with Korean "S"s or any really sibilant Ss or Fs? I want to know if the heat is too much in the presence region. I have modded my 800s and it helped alot, but Korean S and really sibilant Ss really are too hot.

Kojaku

May 24, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #2,875 of 28,989
MV: here's a tune to show off your HD800s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdOh7uZLUxM (embedding disabled)

Positional queues aplenty, soundstage depth and width, real and synthesized sounds, layering, blending, precision. With a normal set of headphones (LCD2, HD600, HE-500) it will just sound nice. With HD800s you will get lost in it.

May 24, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #2,876 of 28,989
Has anybody upgraded the HD800 cable and can actually state an improvment rather than just a differance in audible sound? 

May 24, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #2,877 of 28,989
Quote:
@MickeyVee

I held on to my HE-500s so I could listen to the lower quality recordings in my collection without cringing.

I am not sure if I have just gotten used to listening to bad recording through the HD800, or if the Headamp GS-X mk2 has made a subtle but significant change because I just noticed that I am no longer cringing when I listen to a number of CDs which used to drive me crazy through the HD800s.

--mark

May 24, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #2,878 of 28,989
Quote:

Kojaku

I too find the Orange Globes too hot (V-shaped,exaggerated rumbling lows,slightly sibilant highs) on the Lyr for the HD-800, but haven't had a chance to roll in something else before switching to the Conductor to drive the HD800s.  In the past, I found the Bugle Boys unexciting, but maybe I'll try them again with the HD800.

May 24, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #2,880 of 28,989
You can train yourself to ignore the cringing, you can soften them with soft amps, you can use ultra clean components all the way through to give them the best signal possible, but that peaky behavior is going to be there to a degree, it's the nature of the headphones.  I am fully expecting that to be addressed with the next iteration of the HD design, as let's face it, it is by far the most voiced complaint against the HD800.  In fact, compared to the complaints against this, there are no other complaints!  

You watch: if the ringing/peakiness is addressed, there will be some who say that there is not enough detail!  In 30 years of business I know there always will be complainers.  And in 30 years of working with audiophiles I know for sure that getting rid of the peakiness will be perceived by many that detail is lower.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back