The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 21, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #2,821 of 28,989
Quote:
Welcome to the club!...You are the new guy, where are the donuts?

Seriously you are going to be very happy with them.

beerchug.gif

Hot Jam (or Jelly; for all y'all Americans) donuts for everyone! 

After a little more listening, I can say that it's just amazing treble extension that is often being mistaken as the apparent 'brightness' of the HD 800. In fact, I'm going to say that it does the entire frequency range so well. There's a finesse that is unexplainable. I love the bass of the LCD 2/3s and of course the smooth bass of the 650s, but I think I am redefining my definition of good bass the more I listen to the HD 800s. I know they aren't traditionally regarded as bass headphones but wow, the elegance. I'm going to shut my mouth now before I spurt off any more controversial statements and go back to the music. 
tongue.gif

I am so very happy right now.
beerchug.gif

May 21, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #2,823 of 28,989
Quote:
Yes, no, maybe?  I haven't heard either but really need to get my hands on an OTL amp one day.

Yeah, you should try EarMax Pro Silver Edition. Is an OTL amp.

May 21, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #2,824 of 28,989
Quote:

After a little more listening, I can say that it's just amazing treble extension that is often being mistaken as the apparent 'brightness' of the HD 800. In fact, I'm going to say that it does the entire frequency range so well. There's a finesse that is unexplainable. I love the bass of the LCD 2/3s and of course the smooth bass of the 650s, but I think I am redefining my definition of good bass the more I listen to the HD 800s. I know they aren't traditionally regarded as bass headphones but wow, the elegance. I'm going to shut my mouth now before I spurt off any more controversial statements and go back to the music. 
tongue.gif

beerchug.gif

What in there was supposed to be controversial in an HD800 appreciation thread?  Regardless, I'm glad you're enjoying them.

May 21, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #2,825 of 28,989
Quote:

tongue.gif

beerchug.gif

Well I will say...there's a treble peak at 6.5k that makes sibilants sharper than neutral...but good amping and tube selection as well as Anax 2.0 really helped that.

Kojaku

May 21, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #2,826 of 28,989
Quote:

tongue.gif

beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

indeed, the bass presentation of the hd 800 is very special.

May 21, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #2,827 of 28,989
V200's opened up, smoothed out.. or something else.. whatever it is, it sounds distinguishably better now than it did early last week.  The V800/V200 combo is simply sublime.  I'm hearing the HD800 in all it's silky smooth glory.  Glad to have my solid state desktop rig decided on for the foreseeable future.. now, to add a tube amp.

May 21, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #2,828 of 28,989
Anyone know of an OTL amp that doubles as a preamp AND disables the preout when headphones are in?  Manual switch or switched by the jack just as good.

Pretty sure this was true of my old woo 3, but I wouldn't recommend it with hd800.

May 21, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #2,829 of 28,989
Quote:

tongue.gif

beerchug.gif

I think the bass is the part I love most about the HD800.  The way it's presented amazes me every time I listen, it just sounds so right.

May 21, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #2,830 of 28,989
You guys are killing me.  My HD800 are suppose to be in on Thursday so I'll be the new guy. 
cool.gif
 Really looking forward to them. 
popcorn.gif

In the mean time, enjoying my HE500 (did I really type this on the HD800 thread
blink.gif
.. oops)

May 21, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #2,831 of 28,989
Quote:
You guys are killing me.  My HD800 are suppose to be in on Thursday so I'll be the new guy. 
cool.gif
popcorn.gif

blink.gif
.. oops)

Git' a rope...
tongue_smile.gif
  Heh, we'll forgive you this time...
beerchug.gif

May 21, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #2,832 of 28,989
Quote:
cool.gif
popcorn.gif

blink.gif
.. oops)

I was in a similar position a week ago. Got my HD800s for a few days now and starting to like them more day by day. They are in a different class as compared to my HE-500s.
The wait was well worth.

May 21, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #2,833 of 28,989
Quote:

I was in a similar position a week ago. Got my HD800s for a few days now and starting to like them more day by day. They are in a different class as compared to my HE-500s.
The wait was well worth.

Welcome to the club bro. They will keep growing on you, and as you upgrade your downstream, they will keep rewarding you greatly. That's the other beautiful part.

May 21, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #2,835 of 28,989
That's definitely one thing that I've noticed about the HD800s. They really put a magnifying glass on every little change you make to your chain. They're honestly a tube-roller's dream haha xD

Kojaku

Users who are viewing this thread

Back