The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 9, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #2,521 of 29,010
questionable build quality on hd 800. the cable definitely has snapped on me once where the rubber/plug connect. the headphones fell a feet or 2

also, it feels like the hd 800 can crack/snap if dropped. when i had hd 650s, i used to drop them at least once or twice a day, and they always where ok, no paint chips except in that headband area where they usually get them. im scared to drop hd 800, they feel like they would break where the cups move or something.

May 9, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #2,522 of 29,010
Quote:
questionable build quality on hd 800. the cable definitely has snapped on me once where the rubber/plug connect. the headphones fell a feet or 2

also, it feels like the hd 800 can crack/snap if dropped. when i had hd 650s, i used to drop them at least once or twice a day, and they always where ok, no paint chips except in that headband area where they usually get them. im scared to drop hd 800, they feel like they would break where the cups move or something.

Sadly I've dropped my old HD800's before, although it hit carpet and the headband area only. The headband foam cover unclipped itself. I don't think the HD800's would snap if dropped on a fragile angle/part of the headphone onto a hard surface but a definite large paint chip/damage to the plastic surface is most probable.

May 9, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #2,523 of 29,010

What does a cable snapping have to do with headphones falling a foot or two?

Anything can be forced to break, I thought we were talking about normal usage where 100% of the wear comes from handling and setting on the head, not dropping it once or twice a day. You guys do realize we are using fine instruments, right? They are made to withstand handling and produce top tier sound quality. If you want something you can throw through a wall, you need to be looking at pro/DJ stuff where sound quality is down the list under durability and price. You don't give a child who would be prone to dropping things a stradivarius, you give them a cheap thick durable german violin that doesn't sound so good, but can take the hits and is easily replaceable.

May 9, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #2,524 of 29,010
Quote:
What does a cable snapping have to do with headphones falling a foot or two?

Anything can be forced to break, I thought we were talking about normal usage where 100% of the wear comes from handling and setting on the head, not dropping it once or twice a day. You guys do realize we are using fine instruments, right? They are made to withstand handling and produce top tier sound quality. If you want something you can throw through a wall, you need to be looking at pro/DJ stuff where sound quality is down the list under durability and price. You don't give a child who would be prone to dropping things a stradivarius, you give them a cheap thick durable german violin that doesn't sound so good, but can take the hits and is easily replaceable.

YOU TOLD US....... SIR!
deadhorse.gif

May 9, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #2,525 of 29,010
yeah well **** happens and **** breaks....

any headphone should be able to withstand handling especially for the prices we pay. and they shouldn't just break on you if you accidentally drop them. 

right now if i dropped my headphones by accident, this is what i feel would happen.

hd 800s would shatter and break where the cups move.
lcd-2's wood would crack
he-500's cheap plastic would crack/connector would break.
T1's frame would be bent up, the metal on the frame isn't as solid as one might think.

all my old mid-fi's feel more durable than these flagships and thats messed up. pro 900, hd 650, k701, sr325, rs1, even my dt 990s all felt much more sturdy and durable. 

May 10, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #2,527 of 29,010
If people are so afraid of "falling Sennheisers",why don't they include it in their household insurance.
My serial number is in the 800 and so they look like;....as I am not anal about those things, I am actually proud that they look "used" and "lived In"!The only thing I did was replacing pads and headband.
And they sound stunning!

May 10, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #2,529 of 29,010
Quote:
Link me to a single HD800 driver failure, or a broken frame, or something worthy of getting as breathlessly irate as you seem to be. While it isn't great that the paint is not the best, there is an alternative (Colorware) at the same retail price with tougher paint that you get to customize. As for the stiff connectors that isn't a common issue, but isn't rare either. Just be careful? As for the cable, I don't even use the included cable. It is too long and isn't balanced.

People are still getting Audeze headphones they can't use when the driver blows or the frame cracks at the connection to the headband. Thats a little worse than some dings.

The connectors inside of the headphone stopped working properly over here, after only ~9 months for no apparent reason. I didn't drop them once, I didn't got the cable stuck once, I never removed the cable prior to this and when I did remove the cable to see is re-insterting would help the paint chipped on both sides. Did I buy Beats Pros that hurts its own cable when you use the "DJ" swing feature? They'd better change their name to Beats by Dr. Chinaheiser.
Quote:
Hey guys how do you tell a factory new HD800 from a used one? Is the outside box sealed with shrinkwrap or a piece of tape on the opening? Is the cable attached to the headphones? Any other signs that one can use to differentiate a new one from a used one?

Look for paint chips and scratches, the paint is so fragile that a second hand will almost always have a scratch or a few. The cable is atached to the headphones AFAIK and there is a piece of foam laying on top of the cable part. I also think that the cable came in some bubble wrap but thay may not be true. There was this round piece of tape/plastic/seal at the top of the box.

Also, did anyone have to ship their HD 800s back to Germany for warranty? How long does it take before you get them back? I have no other headphones and I don't have any speakers (HD 800s are my speakers) .

May 10, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #2,530 of 29,010
Quote:
Hey guys how do you tell a factory new HD800 from a used one? Is the outside box sealed with shrinkwrap or a piece of tape on the opening? Is the cable attached to the headphones? Any other signs that one can use to differentiate a new one from a used one?

Well for this the bazillion HD800 unboxing videos in Youtube might be useful..

May 10, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #2,531 of 29,010
I cant decide what amp to get for the hd800. I live in the UK so some amps are harder to get and will have really expensive shipping. I've looked at the musical fidelity m1HPA, burson soloist sl, Woo audio WA2 or WA7 or the Schiit Lyr or Mjolnir. Are any of these good for the hd800, I would prefere it if the amp warmed up the hd800 a bit and added a bit of bass. Anyone in the UK know a good amp available easily in the uk that works well with the hd800, preferably under £800.

May 10, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #2,532 of 29,010
Quote:
I cant decide what amp to get for the hd800. I live in the UK so some amps are harder to get and will have really expensive shipping. I've looked at the musical fidelity m1HPA, burson soloist sl, Woo audio WA2 or WA7 or the Schiit Lyr or Mjolnir. Are any of these good for the hd800, I would prefere it if the amp warmed up the hd800 a bit and added a bit of bass. Anyone in the UK know a good amp available easily in the uk that works well with the hd800, preferably under £800.

The Soloist (not the SL - I've not heard that one) has great bass quality and punch. I don't think it's adding warmth, but it's at the same time very detailed and smooth. You may also consider Vioelectric V200 (from Thomann). That one mimics tubey sound, still great bass, some warmth and a bit of rolloff on the treble. It doesn't have the soundstage of the Soloist though.

May 10, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #2,533 of 29,010
Quote:

I can recommend The Violectric V200 which I also have, great amplifier. I know a dealer in Germany that does also ship to the UK, he can give you a "special" offer and it'll be well under £800.
The amp is a tad warm like a tube amplifier but you don't have to mess around with tubes at all. If you decide on the V200 PM me and I'll give you the dealer's info if you want.

May 10, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #2,534 of 29,010
Quote:
The Soloist (not the SL - I've not heard that one) has great bass quality and punch. I don't think it's adding warmth, but it's at the same time very detailed and smooth. You may also consider Vioelectric V200 (from Thomann). That one mimics tubey sound, still great bass, some warmth and a bit of rolloff on the treble. It doesn't have the soundstage of the Soloist though.

+! on Soloist  ... I can't believe the improvement I'm hearing in the Conductor in terms of extension, authority, sound stage, imaging after a week of hard use.  I HAVE finally found a negative aspect of the HD800 however ---  Where I used to enjoy the unique eccentricities of all my other phones, I now find them all lacking against the HD800 :frowning2:  

Maybe they'll get some of their luster back when the honeymoon period is over...

May 10, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #2,535 of 29,010
Quote:
Maybe they'll get some of their luster back when the honeymoon period is over...

Good luck with that.  The LCD-2/3 I had sounded best on the Soloist but once the HD800 arrived, they got dumped fast.  Zero interest in another can.  Might look into some more near field monitors but for cans... done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back