The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 3, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #1,576 of 28,989
That cable looks cool, I might buy it once my Blackbody (http://www.lessloss.com/blackbody-p-200.html) and left-handed skyhook get here.

It's so great being a billionaire. I only live in a crappy 2br apartment because I want to get to know the common man.

Apr 3, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #1,577 of 28,989
Quote:
I'm a new HD800 owner, quite cool number as well #18888 :)
Just listening for about 3 hours now, it seem very smooth and warm using jplay 5.1 from JK MK3 spdif to audio-gd ref7 to Burson Soloist.
Still using stock cable, and I may have a question.
How long the burn-in for this phone?
I seem to enjoy it from the moment I put on though.

hello, up to now with what your amp is sounding better the HD800? woo audio or burson?

Apr 3, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #1,578 of 28,989
Quote:
hello, up to now with what your amp is sounding better the HD800? woo audio or burson?

It's a bit too early to tell.
Seem both very smooth pairing (can't say that it's cold or even analytical)
6se seem to add a touch of weight on its mid and slightly more treble extension (still very smooth though).
But I can be wrong as it's still very early.

I think hd800 is source dependent as well, as I tried it before with soloist and other dac (at the shop a few weeks before) and that trial make me believe that hd800 is not for me (give me a slight headache)
But when my shop start stocking Nad M51, I tried using that dac + soloist, and I decide that I need to buy that phone :)

Apr 3, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #1,579 of 28,989
Quote:
It's a bit too early to tell.
Seem both very smooth pairing (can't say that it's cold or even analytical)
6se seem to add a touch of weight on its mid and slightly more treble extension (still very smooth though).
But I can be wrong as it's still very early.

I think hd800 is source dependent as well, as I tried it before with soloist and other dac (at the shop a few weeks before) and that trial make me believe that hd800 is not for me (give me a slight headache)
But when my shop start stocking Nad M51, I tried using that dac + soloist, and I decide that I need to buy that phone :)

I also had positive experience running my signal from m51 to HD800. While I am sure there are better DACs out there, the NAD as a nice even presentation - detailed but not thin.

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #1,580 of 28,989
I also had positive experience running my signal from m51 to HD800. While I am sure there are better DACs out there, the NAD as a nice even presentation - detailed but not thin.

I agreed, that's when I believe that HD800 is also source dependent. I would like to a/b ref7 with m51 but bringing this 15kg dac was a bit too much so I decided just to take a leap of faith :)

Apr 4, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #1,581 of 28,989
Quote:
I would say you should give it around 100hrs. Although I have also heard that HD800 dont really need burn in as they go through that process at the factory. Personally I feel its more your ears adjusting to the HD800 sound that might be a bigger factor. 

Such wisdom!  I have been in the high end industry 3 decades and I have heard this only a handful of times from end users.  For a fact much "perceived break in" is in actuality this factor!  I have seen folks go from one piece of equip to a much brighter one that was reviewed positively and hear them say, "well, it's bright, but it will break in".  Weeks later when I've visited them I've asked "how is it" only to always hear "much better, really nice now".  I then swap in the original, let them listen, then swap in the new, and they say "Oh, that's bright"!

Yes, the ears adjust, and this is a big part of the "break in game" as I call it.  

Certainly, some break in happens, especially with speaker surrounds and spiders, and more so with woofers.  But much of it with other equipment is exaggerated.

Think of putting on sunglasses: everything is colored.  10 minutes later you don't notice the coloration.  Every audio guy thinking he is immune to the aural version of this is in denial.      

Apr 4, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #1,582 of 28,989
Quote:
I agreed, that's when I believe that HD800 is also source dependent. I would like to a/b ref7 with m51 but bringing this 15kg dac was a bit too much so I decided just to take a leap of faith
smily_headphones1.gif

The more clear the transducer the more source dependent it will be.  

Apr 4, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #1,583 of 28,989
UERM is very versatile. Sometime, i feel that i prefer the UERM sound signature than HD800. 

How do you feel Maxvla?

Apr 4, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #1,584 of 28,989
Quote:

Think of putting on sunglasses: everything is colored.  10 minutes later you don't notice the coloration.  Every audio guy thinking he is immune to the aural version of this is in denial.      

Exactly. That's also what I think that people that say the audio  nirvana with a particular gear, might be fooling themselves (I'm not implying it's always the case, I  just stay skeptical) . A lot of the listening activity is actually  mental, you are interpreting signals.

Apr 4, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #1,585 of 28,989
I believe it also more as the whole system matching for any headphone makes a huge difference. I would also not leave out the interconnects to the source and the cable on the hd800. It all matters IMO. An example would be I just swapped out an audioquest interconnect for some monoprice as I moved the main amp with a different location and the sound is horrible. I need to seek out another 2M cable for the source to receiver. it is apparent and the sound degraded big time. High quality interconnects are a huge necessity IMO and many may never know what the hD800 and their system can do if they are neglecting the interconnects. I suggest that people should try different interconnects and then evaluate what sound best for their systems, The hd800 will let you hear differences easily. YOMV

Apr 4, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #1,586 of 28,989
I believe it also more as the whole system matching for any headphone makes a huge difference. I would also not leave out the interconnects to the source and the cable on the hd800. It all matters IMO. An example would be I just swapped out an audioquest interconnect for some monoprice as I moved the main amp with a different location and the sound is horrible. I need to seek out another 2M cable for the source to receiver. it is apparent and the sound degraded big time. High quality interconnects are a huge necessity IMO and many may never know what the hD800 and their system can do if they are neglecting the interconnects. I suggest that people should try different interconnects and then evaluate what sound best for their systems, The hd800 will let you hear differences easily. YOMV

+1

Apr 4, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #1,587 of 28,989
Quote:

+2

Apr 4, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #1,588 of 28,989
UERM is very versatile. Sometime, i feel that i prefer the UERM sound signature than HD800. 

How do you feel Maxvla?

Still prefer the brighter HD800 to the UERM most of the time. There's more detail and texture from the HD800s versus more bass and better imaging/holography on the UERM.

Apr 4, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #1,589 of 28,989
Quote:

Cables do not make any difference in sound quality, even with HD800... Tried it myself, only heard very slight variation in frequency response (which I don't like and therefore I avoid adapters or non-stock cables if possible). Reasonably built/priced cables are 100% enough.

Apr 4, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #1,590 of 28,989
Quote:

Cables do not make any difference in sound quality, even with HD800... Tried it myself, only heard very slight variation in frequency response (which I don't like and therefore I avoid adapters or non-stock cables if possible). Reasonably built/priced cables are 100% enough.

Thanks for your opinion but I been dojng this for a long time and I hear major differences and if you happy with your system it is after all you system. In my system the cables make major differences especially interconnects. happy your happy like I said YOMV
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back