The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Feb 9, 2024 at 9:49 PM Post #28,951 of 28,989
My previous ear pads & official Sennheiser replacement ear pads ordeal.

Last September, I bought a used pair of HD800. Thought I’d try them again. They are in good shape and were selling at reasonable price.

The previous owner had replaced the ear pads in 2020 with Premium Hybrid Sheepskin and High-Grade Protein PU Replacement Ear Pads, Amazon, $50. They were ok but not my preference. So, I ordered a pair of official Sennheiser velour HD800 [replacement] ear pads and headband. Quite expensive, especially when you live in Canada but, I wanted the authentic accessories.

The ordeal began when I tried removing the sheepskin pads. The previous owner had glued them on plastic mounts and I had to rip them out being careful not to damage the headphone’s drivers. Since I hadn’t owned an HD800 in a while I wasn’t sure at first if the mounts were originally part of the headphone or not. One of them cracked and broke at the top. So I double checked the video on YT and could see that the mount was for the sheepskin pads. Thankfully non of the glue had dripped onto the plastic lining where the velour pads sit/ fit.

I’ll spare you the second part of the ordeal I had installing/ fitting/ securing, the Senns ear pads. Don’t understand why the people who designed this hp made the ear pad fitting so difficult to install. The original ear pads are a breath of fresh air & I’m not one to play around with replacing original pads designed for the hp (save for my Grados which I switch L & G pads with.) The sheepskin ones were thicker, so my ears were further from the drivers and the angle wasn’t the same either.

Anyways, I’m glad everything worked out and I”m presently enjoying them as I write this post (Jeff Beck’s Guitar Shop album).

In my opinion, the authentic Senn HD800 ear pads were designed perfectly so as to get the ‘true’ sound of this marvelous HP. The material, thickness, angle they fit and sit at, all contribute to the expected designed engineered sound. The music sounds clearer than w/ the sheepskin pads which were thicker by themselves, to which the plastic mounts they came with, added to the distance one’s ears are from the drivers.

Just my perception. Others may disagree. In the end, I’m enjoying my HD800 much more than I did with the other pads.

IMG_4744.jpeg
IMG_4741.jpeg
IMG_4742.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #28,952 of 28,989
I also prefer the original earpads. Had mine for many years and they just work.

Feb 12, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #28,953 of 28,989
Suggestion - buy your spare ear pads now and store in a cool dry place to be used when needed. Now because original parts are still available. I would also urge buying a spare OEM cable, but man those prices are hard to justify there, so... but ear pads, yeah, get them now.

Feb 17, 2024 at 7:46 AM Post #28,954 of 28,989
Anyone notice that the HD800S keep dropping in price?, it seems to be consistently available from most online retailers for £1099 in the UK now, is this a sign of a new revision/model in the works? for a grand these have to be one of the best price to performance headphones at the higher end of the market, I can't think of anything near this price that comes close.

Feb 18, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #28,956 of 28,989
The original pads are always the best in tonality and technicalities, no matter if stock or JAR. No point in trying Berlusdekoni and all the other crap. Fix your chain above all.

Mar 11, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #28,960 of 28,989
That is a new one for me. How is it sounding so far?

Mar 11, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #28,962 of 28,989
Nice find! I am currently enjoying the Cary 300SEI Integrated. Loving 300B goodness.

Mar 12, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #28,965 of 28,989
I swapped the SLI-80 for it. I still love the SLI-80. The 300 is a different experience. Basically I wish I had the shelf space for both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back