The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 13, 2024 at 4:32 AM Post #28,967 of 28,989
Anyone notice that the HD800S keep dropping in price?, it seems to be consistently available from most online retailers for £1099 in the UK now, is this a sign of a new revision/model in the works? for a grand these have to be one of the best price to performance headphones at the higher end of the market, I can't think of anything near this price that comes close.

You’re right, I hadn’t noticed but that is amazing really. I bought mine 12 years ago, an upgrade from an old pair of HD650. Both still working fine. I recall being very hesitant at the time as the HD800 were £1,200 which seemed a huge increase from the HD650 which had cost me £300. I got a pair for £999 which was the best deal I could find at the time. Current price for HD800S represents practically zero inflation over the period - the originals only came with 1 cable. Is it just supply and demand or is a new model due? Or are they moving out of the segment entirely following takeover by Sonova?

I don’t really use mine any more these days, but they have strong sentimental value as my first pair of ‘high end’ headphones and they make a nice display item due to their still very unique looking design. Suggestions about stocking up on pads etc may prove to be good advice

Mar 13, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #28,968 of 28,989
Anyone notice that the HD800S keep dropping in price?, it seems to be consistently available from most online retailers for £1099 in the UK now, is this a sign of a new revision/model in the works? for a grand these have to be one of the best price to performance headphones at the higher end of the market, I can't think of anything near this price that comes close.

Well, the HD800 was significantly cheape and it's the same headphone without a 4-pin cable. I think they're adjusting prices to increase sales. Increased inflation and interest rates affect people's ability to purchase luxury items :)

Mar 13, 2024 at 9:04 AM Post #28,969 of 28,989
CAD 300 SEI has a more rounded tonality. The SET vs Class AB Push Pull. The 80 is more direct. Both are wonderful presentations. They are just different from each other.

Mar 13, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #28,971 of 28,989
S6 is a tube roller. Also an SET. Both are strong with my HD 800's. The S6 is the best pairing with the HD800's I have heard. Incredible space.

Mar 13, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #28,973 of 28,989
HAHA!! Sorry. True for me. :ksc75smile:

Mar 15, 2024 at 3:00 AM Post #28,974 of 28,989
You’re right, I hadn’t noticed but that is amazing really. I bought mine 12 years ago, an upgrade from an old pair of HD650. Both still working fine. I recall being very hesitant at the time as the HD800 were £1,200 which seemed a huge increase from the HD650 which had cost me £300. I got a pair for £999 which was the best deal I could find at the time. Current price for HD800S represents practically zero inflation over the period - the originals only came with 1 cable. Is it just supply and demand or is a new model due? Or are they moving out of the segment entirely following takeover by Sonova?

I don’t really use mine any more these days, but they have strong sentimental value as my first pair of ‘high end’ headphones and they make a nice display item due to their still very unique looking design. Suggestions about stocking up on pads etc may prove to be good advice
Just wonder, in those 12 years how many time have you change the pads?

Mar 17, 2024 at 6:07 AM Post #28,975 of 28,989
How many of you tried running HD800 without the protective fabric sheet on the driver?

After 15 years owning mine i tried it and Whoa! this opened up the clarity.. it can compete with the best planars now.. like i can touch the instruments in the music..

Before it had all that stage size but remained abit distant and wooly sounding.. but now im in awe again.

If you have one being forgotten.. i suggest trying this. :)

In there is the SD mod, leather pads make also for deeper bass.

The sheets can easily be pulled off with a pincet.

I have done this and its a lot better sounding.

Sounds more dynamics and more organic. Best mod ever !

I also have the SDR module installe from @Sorrodje

wp-17104423619982799305970656745277.jpg
:)

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 9:22 AM Post #28,976 of 28,989
Just wonder, in those 12 years how many time have you change the pads?

Just the once. I changed the headband as well and, together, it was almost like having a brand new pair. I’ve been listening to them again since reading up on this thread and they do hold up surprisingly well on a good setup given the age of the design - must be 15 years old by now I reckon.

Apr 11, 2024 at 2:00 AM Post #28,978 of 28,989
Hey there, does anyone know if one of the following units would be enough to power the HD800 OG well?: Topping DX3 Pro+, Fiio K7 (possibly balnaced), Questyle M15 (possibly balanced). Thank you very much in advance :)
I don't think so.

Apr 12, 2024 at 1:35 AM Post #28,979 of 28,989
Hello everyone. I just bought an old Sennheiser HD800 a week ago. After replacing the original earpads with ZMF lambskin earpads and the headphone was ready to rock. My first impression is this headphone does have Sennheiser house sound but a little bit thin, very precise, fast, lean and big soundstage compare to another Sennheiser headphone that I bought many years ago which is HD650. I found out that HD800 is very sensitive to sources and amps. If I play games I heard a lot of sibilance from optical port so I switch to coaxial port and the problem is better. I will try to save money to upgrade to higher tube amps like Woo Audio Luna Wa23 or Felik Envy. My current amp is Violectric V550 which has a good synergy to Sennheiser cans. About the cables my thinking is about Cardas Clear or Clear Beyond.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #28,980 of 28,989
I don't think so.
Ok thanks. I decided to put the HD800 which is pretty much new up for sale as I can't bare the 6khz peak as I'm pretty young and my CD-Player obv doesn't have EQ and yeah, I don't have the money to upgrade the equipment too, so I decided to let it go even though it´s the best I've heard for raw detail and soundstage so far. So if I can make anyone happy I got it up for sale here. Maybe I'll buy the S version to use without EQ in a couple of months or years when I can afford proper equipment. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back